The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
brickhouseblues

AR Issue

I went out to the range yesterday to shoot some rounds with my SW M&P 15 with only 40 rounds through it when I noticed every other shot didn't shoot the chambered round, trigger click through. Had to rechamber another round ejecting previous round.

Currently I'm out of town on holiday, planning on taking it in and have it looked at. Just wanted to views from anyone.

Thanks
Old June 29, 2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

First, I would suspect the ammo, then suspect the firing pin nose, or length. I would try another brand of ammo first. Also, let us know what the indention looks like on the primers.
Old June 29, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
brickhouseblues

The primers show indentations.
Old June 29, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It could just be some bad primers, I have seen this.

Also, check the indentation on the primer to see if it is conical or an inwardly rounded or domed dent, and not flat like a flat-nosed firing pin would leave. If its round, and looks to be going in deep enough, then I highly suspect the ammo.

Due to the ammo shortages, I highly suspect that we will see more of this, as a manufacturing rush is ongoing.
Old June 29, 2013, 03:03 PM   #5
brickhouseblues

The indentations on the missfired rounds (which are 5 in total) have round dome which look as if the pin barely hit them, but I heard the clicks when misfired. After getting your advice on the ammo, I busted out some premium rounds and the rifle fired flawlessly! I will be careful about what ammo I buy from now on. As hard as that seems, due to the demand and available ammo for that particular rifle. Seems like all the cheap deals are inferior!
Old June 29, 2013, 03:10 PM   #6
allaroundhunter

Re: AR Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhouseblues View Post
The indentations on the missfired rounds (which are 5 in total) have round dome which look as if the pin barely hit them, but I heard the clicks when misfired. After getting your advice on the ammo, I busted out some premium rounds and the rifle fired flawlessly! I will be careful about what ammo I buy from now on. As hard as that seems, due to the demand and available ammo for that particular rifle. Seems like all the cheap deals are inferior!
Those rounds are not the problem. The small impression is from the floating firing pin. If you cycle one of those "premium" rounds through your gun without pulling the trigger you will see the same thing.

Any AR that you will ever shoot will do that.

I would suspect that the gun is having the problem, not the ammo.

Last edited by allaroundhunter; June 29, 2013 at 03:15 PM.