The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 25, 2012, 10:54 PM   #26
alienbogey

I have a Boberg XR9-S in the 100 serial number range. It is slightly larger than my LCP, but is more pleasant to shoot despite being 9mm vs .380.

The potential for problems with ammunition does have to do with the tightness of the crimp because each round is yanked backwards out of the magazine before being fed into the chamber. I experienced bullet/case separation twice with my reloads when I was first practicing with the Boberg, but the solution was as easy as a little tweak of the bullet seating die on my press and I haven't had that happen since.

I haven't had any problems with factory ammunition, and the Boberg site lists ammunition to avoid—and it's a short list.

This target was 50 rounds at 11 yards, standing unsupported with the XR9-S:

The design, fit & finish are superb.
Old November 26, 2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Skans

What material is the frame made of? Aluminum or steel? Does anyone have photos of the internals parts/frame/slide? Very interesting little 9mm!
Old November 26, 2012, 01:47 PM   #28
DAdams

Quote:
For interested Boberg fans...
I've got a friend that makes holsters and he picked up a Boberg mold and makes holsters for this interesting, unique pistol. Given that these are a bit "off the beaten path", you might have some trouble finding exactly what you are looking for in a holster.

http://www.zlogonje.com/blog1.php
Thanks for the lead. I'm looking for a nice OWB for the Boberg.
Old November 26, 2012, 02:59 PM   #29
5.56RifleGuy

http://www.bobergarms.com/#!products/c6ae

That is link to the pistol specs. The frame is made of aluminum.

Looks like they are on sale until the 3rd of December also.

Its a little dirty, but here are some quick pictures of the internals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010171.JPG (151.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg P1010172.JPG (136.0 KB, 35 views)
Old November 27, 2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Skans

Thanks for the pictures!! Boy, would I like to get my hands on one just to check out the engineering. That is a very interesting little pistol.
Old November 27, 2012, 12:39 PM   #31
5.56RifleGuy

They used to have a nice operating diagram and quick little video that showed how the thing working internally on their website. I guess they got rid of it.
Old November 27, 2012, 02:20 PM   #32
Dashunde

Quote:
I had the mag pop out about 5 shots into a magazine
Quote:
I had the gun run through the first five rounds and then failed to feed. When I pulled the mag out of the gun, I saw that the 2 remaining rounds seemed to have bound up in the magazine
Quote:
With the Golden Saber ammo, I had one failure to feed out of 25
Quote:
Overall I am very happy with the performance of this pistol.
How can you be happy with it??? That’s abysmal reliability by any standard.
I'd feel the need to whack myself over the head with that $1000 paperweight for buying it in the first place.

On their website I found the words luxurious, exquisite, prestige, premier and treasured possession. (all of it quite nauseating really.)
They dont have one single blip about reliability. It doesn’t matter if it can replicate longer barrel performance if it doesn’t shoot.

A junky less-than-prestigious 100% reliable PM9 looks pretty good next to this contraption.

And speaking of looks... that Boberg? Obviously form follows function... blah on both attributes.

Ok, flame me up now.
Old November 27, 2012, 06:34 PM   #33
5.56RifleGuy

Haha, yes the PM9 is a shining star of reliability that no one has ever had any issues with function. Doesn't it state in the manual something about a break in period where you have to shoot it x amount of times before they will bother helping you if there is an issue?

"I had the mag pop out about 5 shots into a magazine"

You left out the last part, stating it was my fault for hitting the magazine release. I adjusted my grip and it wasn't a problem.

"With the Golden Saber ammo, I had one failure to feed out of 25"

Isn't the constant stream of advice that you should always test your ammo, especially HP ammo, in your pistol to make sure it functions well? Wouldn't that mean that it is generally accepted that not all firearms will function well with every type of ammunition? If there wasn't any concern there, why would we hear that advice so often.

"That’s abysmal reliability by any standard."

I had 2 instances that were a problem. 2 FTF issues. I shot 175 times

173/175 gives us about .989 etc or 98.9%. How is almost 99% abysmal?

I have had jams in my 1911 also. I guess that is a terrible design.

"On their website I found the words luxurious, exquisite, prestige, premier and treasured possession."

I didn't buy it because of marketing. I bought it because it is a unique and interesting design in an industry that puts out the same thing over and over again every year. If you choose to, feel free to keep buying the same thing over and over again, but I want something different.

Most people seem to trash what ever new thing comes about, without any experience with it. It's a shame.

Boberg Arms is an American company that is putting out a product with quality workmanship, innovative design, at a reasonable price. The owner is very responsive to customer feedback and stands behind his product 100%. I read another review where the owner gave a full refund when the purchaser was not happy with the pistol.

Sorry you don't like it, but I do. It's like anything else, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Feel free to beat yourself over the head, if you would like to.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:57 PM   #34
DAdams

Dashunde. Are you familiar with the axiom 6 lbs in 5 ib can? That is to say that the smaller the semiauto the more challenging the positive operational attributes. This is particularly true for certain ammunition.
Go spend some time on the Rohrbaugh, Seecamp, Kimber, KelTec, Ruger, S&W on and on Forums. A) many new handguns experience early edition issues. B) not all ammunition favor all pistols.

Any issues with the Bobergs are addressed expeditiously via outstanding customer service.

Check the early Kahr PM9s. They were a nightmare. Barrel peening and 100s went back and forth for warranty repair at the Customers expense. I have one.

The first S&W 642 I purchased 7 years ago mechanically failed after about 150 rounds.....

We're here for constructive conversation. If you have industry or Model MTBF based on Manufactuer's data we would be happy to factor it into OUR purchasing decisions.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:20 PM   #35
Dashunde

DLiller...Ok Ok, I guess I did pee in your campfire here, sorry for that.

But 99% reliability out of a dedicated-by-design ccw is far short of good, I hope it improves for you.

Last edited by Dashunde; November 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:29 PM   #36
HisSoldier

When they come out with a steel framed gun I'll be ordering one, I like the innovation a lot, the first real new idea in 50 years.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old November 27, 2012, 09:51 PM   #37
5.56RifleGuy

I'll keep updating with my experiances, but I expect they will be good.
Old November 27, 2012, 10:02 PM   #38
DAdams

Quote:
Dashunde Ok Ok, I guess I did pee in your campfire here, sorry for that.

But 99% reliability out of a dedicated-by-design ccw is far short of good, I hope it improves for you.
Accepted.

Everything operates at 100 percent....until it doesn't. Review QC statistical analysis. Why do manufacturers have service departments? Why bother with a warranty?
Ever hear the words "defect in workmanship or material"? Metal fatigue?
Name a handgun that is "100 percent reliable" and I'll find an exact model that isn't.

Multiple 9s are possible. High Reliability sure. 100 percent operability 100 percent of the time, no.
Haven't you seen in the movies where the gun "jams" and becomes a non aerodynamic projectile?

Seriously you are always one round away from failure. There are a few reasons to carry a back up handgun. One is failure which in and of itself has multiple possible manifestations.

Back to the OPs First Impressions and on track commentary.

Last edited by DAdams; November 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:14 AM   #39
DAdams

Quote:
They used to have a nice operating diagram and quick little video that showed how the thing working internally on their website. I guess they got rid of it.
You now have to request a Powerpoint Presentation from Arne Boberg on the internal operational characteristics. I suspect you may have to sign an NDA.
His patent attorney probably thought his animated video was a bit too detailed for general consumption.

There are plenty of actual videos shown shooting the Boberg.
Edmar Mednis
Old November 28, 2012, 07:59 PM   #40
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
It's not his name, he's got some normal, average name, IIRC. It means "something", I don't recall what.
"Expels evil"

Those Bobergs are looking better with every post. Hmmm....maybe.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:10 PM   #41
varoadking

I have one and have for about 9 months. It has less than 100 rounds thru it and needs to go back for warranty work...for a second time.

Nice piece but well overpriced and not terribly reliable, as far as I'm concerned.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:15 PM   #42
5.56RifleGuy

What kind of problems are you having?
Old November 29, 2012, 08:05 PM   #43
Rembrandt

The more I play with this Boberg, the more I'm in awe at the quality and engineering that's gone into it. This is the most fun gun I've bought in the last 20 years.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:44 PM   #44
Sevens

Folks, if you are familiar with this gentleman posting directly above me, know that those words come from a place of great perspective!
Old November 30, 2012, 05:46 PM   #45
5.56RifleGuy

He did a bunch of paintings or something like that right?
Old December 1, 2012, 10:01 AM   #46
Sevens

Actually, check some of his contraptions that he's uploaded pictures of in the handloading/reloading area of this site. He takes ideas and makes machines out of them. Pretty fascinating.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:42 PM   #47
orionengnr

Fascinating design.
I will wait a while before I jump on the bandwagon.
Old December 1, 2012, 11:22 PM   #48
5.56RifleGuy

It looks like they have a larger model in the works also. I saw a picture of a prototype pistol they posted. Looks nice also.
Old December 2, 2012, 12:32 PM   #49
Rembrandt

Sevens, I think you have me confused with J Morris and some of the wonderful machines he's made.
Old December 3, 2012, 01:23 AM   #50
Sevens

Hmm, yes, I think you are correct.
You must be memorable for some reason?!