The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2012, 04:42 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

I dunno about the model you have, but all the MEC 600 and Sizemaster models appear to have what is called a "Pro Check" that is fastened to the charge bar with a screw and the hole that the screw threads into in on the front side of the charge bar on all models as far as I know. At least that is true of the Sizemaster. So if you have a pro check on yours I cannot understand how it could be assembled with the shot drop beneath the powder bottle.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:09 PM   #27
Drummer101

I for got that it might not cycle lighter loads.

Wonder if a 1,100 fps load would work. Or if I should just bump it up to 1,200 fps.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:24 PM   #28
zippy13

The 1,100s might work. Just load a few and test them. At worst, you'll just have to shoot a few shells single-shot.
Old June 4, 2012, 08:43 PM   #29
Drummer101

Could make those trap loads. Would it damage the gun to do that over the long term? I am thinking not but not sure.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:35 AM   #30
BigJimP

Testing loads at 1100 fps won't hurt anything - if the fired hull will not cycle the action / just cycle it by hand to remove the empty shell ( so you can shoot those shells for games like Trap singles ).

Some gas guns - if they're clean and well lubed --- ( even the old Remington 1100's will cycle loads at 1150 fps ) at least part of the time...but every gun on the market seems to be a little different in terms of how they're setup. Sometimes you can modify the gas system so it operates more reliably on lower velocity loads ...maybe 1100 fps or 1150 fps....but a load at 1200 fps is not considered a "heavy load" by any means. A 1200 fps load ...is a common and "standard" shell ...for a lot of gagues.

Some of the new gas guns - like Browning/Winchester with their Activ Valve system I think they call it ...will supposedly cycle shells at 1150 fps...but I don't know if I'd trust it in a tournament situation ??

My Benelli super sport ( an inertia gun ) will not reliably cycle loads less than 1200 fps ....even if its clean and well lubed / but 1200 fps is just fine ..even though the Benelli manual says the gun will not operate reliably with loads under 1250 fps.....
Old June 7, 2012, 11:04 AM   #31
rhinonewshooter

I cycle 1145 fps regularly through my Beretta 390 12 and 20 gauges. Cole gun also sells a "spring set" which can quickly be swapped out for even lower fps (and frankly for the really fast 3 inch shells as well.

I have cycled 3/4 ounce shells on my 12 gauge with the standard spring. I have maybe 3-4k rounds through that gun, so it is just broken in