The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1
dmt411

Ruger Mark I grip replacement suggestions

I am looking to replace wood grips on a Mark I from 1966 to a rubber Hogue like grip. Not having much luck finding grips for older Ruger pistol. I find a lot saying Mark 2 & 3, but they never specify the Mark 1. Any recommendations on where to get, what to get or what you have that has worked well. I want to replace the wood grips to make it fit smaller hands. Thanks for the input.

Last edited by dmt411; February 15, 2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Pahoo

Can you live with the MK-II grip panels

The MK-II grips should work. it's just that the left panel will have the cutout for the release. I know some of the MK-I's came with wooden grip panels adn they looked pretty good. you don't see many of them. Did not see where they were all that big and your Hogues will be bigger. What about going to the black plastic Ruger panel for the MK-I's?

Be Safe !!!
Old February 15, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3
dmt411

Thanks Pahoo, I should have mentioned the grips on it are wood, competition style with thumb rest making it bulky.

I could probably live with Mark II grips with the bolt stop button cut out, and it could be fun when somebody hands it back I can ask what they did with the bolt stop button that seems to be missing after they fired it!

I would like to find either some wood or the black plastic panels like you mentioned and then maybe an overlay grip or maybe the plastic grips will satisfy the small handed shooter. I am thinking about maybe fashioning a pair of wood grips myself and adding the overlay grips to cover my lack of craftsmanship.

Last edited by dmt411; February 15, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
The MK-II grips should work.
I believe the change was in 1970 that they changed to the A100 frame with the mag button on the left side.

The earlier models had a reverse grip screw pattern, and the mag button on the RIGHT side, so Mark II grips will NOT fit these early models.

Is you mag button on the left or right side of the magazine.
If it is on the right side, then Mark II grips WILL NOT FIT!
Old February 15, 2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Pahoo

Quote:
I should have mentioned the grips on it are wood, competition style with thumb rest making it bulky.
Have never seen a set of these for the MK-I but do have a set, on my MK-II. Mine look pretty good!! ...

Quote:
I believe the change was in 1970 that they changed to the A100 frame with the mag button on the left side.
Good point that I forgot to mention. With the grips removed, look for a stamping on the face of the mag. well and see if you can find that reference to the A100 or 100. Been awhile since I had to look for one. ....

Be Safe !!!

Tags
.22 , grip , mark i , ruger