The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 8, 2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Madball6

Dog hunting?

Recently a friend offered to take me on a hunt next deer season "running dogs" I've never hunted using dogs and was wondering how it is done. Sorry if the question is vague but i honestly don't know anything about the process so its tough to narrow the question.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

From what I've read, and seen in north Florida, the deal is that the deer tend to make a large circle in running from the dogs, and the hunter does a sit-and-wait for a deer to come by.

This thread is about "how to" and NOT about whether one approves or disapproves of that method of hunting.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:35 AM   #3
PawPaw

I assume you're talking about hunting deer with dogs. It's a lot like Art describes. The dogs jump the deer and the hunters wait for an opportunity to shoot. We used to hunt deer with dogs in north Louisiana, and we'd get 15 or 20 hunters, set up stands around a large section of timber and let the dogs drive the deer to us.

Men have been hunting with dogs since the dawn of history. One of my favorite past-times in years past was to take a couple of beagles and get out along the edge of a clear cut for rabbits. It's great fun.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old May 9, 2011, 10:59 AM   #4
Scrapperz

There's great feeling that comes when a family of beagles or fox hounds comes to you while your holding your catch (rabbit, fox, pheasant, grouse, woodcock and in some cases deer or whatever else your game may be) in your hands. When we caught rabbit we would wait for the dogs to get to the end of trail, which was obviously where we caught it, and then gut the rabbit, quick check for worm larvae, and then treat them to a warm heart and lungs, kidneys and liver.

Sometimes all the dogs didn't come back cause they put up a new rabbit or other game. One time I found my beagle (Missouri breed) burying a grouse, when I found him he was brushing dirt around 2 feet sticking out of the ground, haha. Many more stories come to mind all I know is they showed me a good time hunting.

*Important tip pertaining to rabbit, remove the gall bladder from the liver first if you intend to treat your dogs and if it was broken open discard the treats all together as this is poison.

Last edited by Scrapperz; May 9, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:00 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Biggest rack I seen this past season was a BIG gob of sticks about 200-300 yards away. I never saw the body, just the rack.

He was obviously evading barking deer dogs.

One from the dog party came by lookin' to "set up a stand" and said their dogs were on a little 6 point. I informed him of my observation and they never got a glimpse of this Massive 8 or better.

He was heading for the bottoms and the dogs circled wide where he had turned.

What deer doggin' does is help out in real thick woods. The dogs can push these near nocturnal bucks up and out of the day bed.

Not to mention that anyone with an affection to dogs will usually LOVE hearin' "THE RACE"...

Things I would look for is groups who frown on semi auto rifles... I would prefer to be in a group who know the risks of sending ammo down range all willy-nilly. There are safer groups and groups I wouldn't knowingly be within 5 miles of.

Brent
Old May 9, 2011, 12:57 PM   #6
40caljustice

Just to add to what folks have already posted, in my opinion hunting with dogs really gets the blood flowing. The anticipation is incredible. You can hear the dogs way off in another plot and as time passes the long, loud bellows sound closer and closer. The slow steady climb of adrinaline. Its just a different feeling. Its alot of fun if you have the right dogs. If your dogs are too fast or too big then they will push the deer way to fast. I've seen some big walker hounds snapping at deer cutting thru a logging plot. That isn't fun. That's unsafe for the pups. I've heard of big walker and red bone hounds catching yearling deer and small does. Never seen it though.

On the other hand, if your dogs are too small or too slow then the deer will just pick a thick plot and run in circles. Its a fine art to finding the proper size to speed ratio in a good hound. Its been a few years since I've done any hunting and post like this and others give me a touch of "the fever".

I enjoy hunting with hounds. Its a different type of excitement to me. But we all know there is no better than watching a deer move around the woods and play without ever knowing its being watched. That's a great feeling also.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #7
Catfishman

I'm not trying to bash dog hunting here but here are some pros and cons.

Pros:
It's social
More action

Cons:
It's social - usually involves lots of guys and lots of beer More action - hitting a running deer is infinitely more difficult
Dogs can and will chase deer all over the countryside - increasing the likelihood of wrecks, time spent looking for dogs and fist fights with angry farmers.
Theoretically, more wounded deer.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Saltydog235

In the south, its almost a religion to cut your teeth on a dog hunt. I've done drives with beagles, Walkers, Black and Tans and even had a Blue Heeler in a couple(best deer dog I've ever seen). Esentially, you'll be driven or dropped of at your stand (post) with people surrounding the tract to be hunted. When the drivers are in position (either walking or on horseback), they'll turn the hounds loose. Dogs get the scent a jump a deer and the chase is on until it gets away or is taken.

I may have overlooked it but as a stander, you need to stay wide eyed and alert. Just because the dogs may not be heading your way doesn't mean deer aren't coming your way. I've seen them hit a swamp or river and put their head back so only their nose is showing or running flat out where their bellies are dragging the ground and their legs look like wheels.

I killed one like that as a teenager, I had been nodding off then I heard a limb crack, I looked up and already had my shotgun pointed right at her. I pulled the trigger on the old Remington Model 11 and she took all 16 #1's from mid snout on back. Left a crater with ears sticking out. That doe probably would have run over me had I not blown its head off.

Dog hunting is social and it is very enjoyable provided its done with class, respect and sportsmanship. Too many will run another person's land, cut down fences and gates to retrieve dogs, argue with landowners, and generally act in a disrespectful manner just because their "diddy or pappy" hunted there his entire life. Those undesirables are what is making dog drives a thing of the past.