The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 27, 2009, 04:48 PM   #1
brocken

Nightstand pistol storage?

Howdy,

I've lived for years with my pistol in my nightstand next to me at night. Loaded and ready to go.
Now with a rugrat in the house I need to come up with a way that I can easily access my pistol but keep it safe from chubby little fingers.

I've seen a couple of those bread box kinda safes that you mount to your bed and wasn't impressed. Any suggestions for something I can keep hidden but get to it quickly if I need to?

Thanks!
Old October 27, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Edward429451

In the meantime, before deciding on something...Hammer a nail in the closet above the doorway on the door side but inside so out of view, wrap it with electrical tape to save the gun from scratches, and hang it from the trigger guard.

Yeah it might take a few extra seconds to get to if a zombie comes, but thats ok, because the odds are the kid would come before a zombie anyway.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:23 PM   #3
brocken

Haha, my luck she'd bang the door and it would fall on the ground.
I'm planning way ahead because I know my kid will be stubborn like me and get into everything.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:29 PM   #4
Bigjim3

top of closet, out of sight out of mind..
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old October 27, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
brocken

Holy double post batman!
Closet shelf will work for now but locking it up would still be a good idea.
It will be a long time before I can teach her proper gun safety.

Last edited by brocken; October 27, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:39 PM   #6
dreamweaver

get one of those gun magnets and mount it behind the headboard.
i have a sxs shotgun mounted that way (with 2 magnets) and Jr doesn't even know it's there.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
SigP6Carry

Dreamweaver, I'm gonna tell you what every parent doesn't want to hear: Jr. will find it. Kids do the darnedest things and find the most hidden items. I'd lock it up safer than hiding it behind the headboard.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:52 PM   #8
Doyle

Stackon drawer safe with a pushbutton lock (key override). I can push the buttons in total darkness. It won't stop a thief but it will stop a child.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:52 AM   #9
output

+1 Gunvault

I recently purchased the Gunvault ‘Multi Vault’ (GV2000C-DLX Deluxe). I have it sitting on top of my nightstand. When I get home I open it and when I leave I close it. Eventually I might move it into my closet. The safe gives me a little peace of mind. Someone could walk away with the whole thing if they wanted…but at least my 1911 just sitting there on top of my night stand in the open anymore. For years I just left my 1911 on the nightstand out in the open. I do not have kids…but it was long overdue. I paid about $143.00 you can’t really beat that. You wouldn't really be able to hide it but you can lock it and open it pretty quickly once you familiarize yourself with it.

Last edited by output; November 3, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old November 3, 2009, 08:30 PM   #10
(BH)

I'm really wanting to build something like this....

It's a great idea and if you built ne yourself you could probably make iy really tough.

BTW, I'm in your same boat in terms of chubby little snoopers.

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson