The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
DaveyG

Safe help??

Okay so I am looking for a safe and need some input, I looked at 3 differant brands today Liberty, American Security and Gardall.

I need something "slim" no wider than 24", do I need it to be fire proof?

The models I looked at from the 3 companies listed above all ranged from $700-$900, I could probably cut that to $400 if I forgo fireproof option.

Again it has to be slim and not too heavy (300-400 pounds) it has to go to the 3rd floor in a condo.

Gardall model 5517 - $700

American Security model TF5924 $799.00 w/dial lock, $899.00 w/electronic lock.

Liberty model CN17 $729 (dial lock) CN20 $799 (electronic lock)
Old October 23, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
javabum

I am guessing your getting the safe to keep all your hard earned purchases safe.... If so why for go the fire proof option.Seems to me that would be the first option one would want....At least for me it would be.
If it were me i would get the fire proof safe.....Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Good luck,Kevin

NRA Life member
Old October 24, 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
a1abdj

Quote:
If so why for go the fire proof option.Seems to me that would be the first option one would want....At least for me it would be.
If it were me i would get the fire proof safe.....Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Most gun safes use gypsum board for insulation, and are not nearly as "fireproof" as the manufacturers would lead you to believe.

So long as you are only using your gun safe for guns (what it's designed for), and not for other items, the fireproofing doesn't make much of a difference.
Old October 24, 2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Rmac58

Does the manufacturer offer any warranty on a failed fire resistant safe?
I wouldn't have a safe that wasn't.
You could store important papers there too.
Old October 24, 2009, 01:42 PM   #5
Superhouse 15

Is your condo sprinklered? If it was fully sprinklered, I'd be feeling pretty safe about not fireproofing it. The history of sprinklers in high rise buildings is excellent. If it was not fully sprinklered I'd reconsider.
Old October 24, 2009, 02:06 PM   #6
a1abdj

Quote:
Does the manufacturer offer any warranty on a failed fire resistant safe?
No manufacturer offers such a warranty. That's what insurance is for. The best you will get from a manufacturer is a replacement safe, and even then, usually only if your insurance will not pay for it.

Quote:
I wouldn't have a safe that wasn't.
You'll be waiting a long time. Even banks do not guarantee the safety of the contents placed within their safe deposit vaults.

Quote:
You could store important papers there too.
The manufacturers of gun safes will lead you to believe this is a good idea, but it is not. Important papers should be stored in a properly rated document safe, not a gun safe.

Even in a properly rated document safe, you may still run the risk of heat damage. So long as the fire stays within the parameters of the testing, the contents will not be destroyed.
Old October 24, 2009, 07:25 PM   #7
DaveyG

Okay some good info but does anyone own or have experience with any of the brands I listed and if so are you happy with your decision and if not why?
Old October 24, 2009, 11:03 PM   #8
a1abdj

All three of the safes you mentioned are going to be Chinese imports relabeled under the brands you mentioned.

All three will be of similar construction, carry similar warranties, and be backed by reputable companies. I don't think one is going to be much different than the other, so if one has a particular dimension, weight, finish, or interior you'd prefer, I'd choose it.
Old October 31, 2009, 02:45 PM   #9
DaveyG

a1abdj

Since you seem to be in the business what would you suggest for someone looking to purchase a safe? I have a budget of 800 but could probbably go as high as 1000. My limitations are it must not be wider than 24", need to be able to get to the 3rd floor of a condo (as long as it stays 24" or less that should not be a problem), would you forgo fireproofing in order to get a "sturdier" better made safe?
Old October 31, 2009, 03:02 PM   #10
dreamweaver

i have a liberty safe, an 800 pounder, that i'm happy with. liberty has a good reputation and reasonable prices.
you can get one for less than the price you quoted. pay the extra $100 for "in house" delivery, alot easier than renting a refridgerator dolly and busting your hump.
Old October 31, 2009, 04:52 PM   #11
a1abdj

Quote:
My limitations are it must not be wider than 24", need to be able to get to the 3rd floor of a condo (as long as it stays 24" or less that should not be a problem), would you forgo fireproofing in order to get a "sturdier" better made safe?
If you're only using the safe for guns, and they weren't of great sentimental value, then I would consider a non lined safe. However, you probably won't find one. Most of the manufacturers offering safes in that size range are lining them.

The good news is that there are a number of manufacturers that offer 24" wide safes.
Old November 2, 2009, 07:07 AM   #12
sourdough44

Did you check out the made in USA Zanotti safes? I doubt your condo would ever burn to the ground, to many folks around.