The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 22, 2009, 05:12 PM   #26
BigJimP

I've never seen the scale you found in your post gdeal / don't know if it will work long term or not.

Rather than buy an off brand - I'd suggest you look at a beam scale instead.

Remember the cost will be spread out over 20+ years .... its still $ 300 / but only $ 15 a year if its proven to be a good scale ( and its your hands, eyes, etc behind that gun / you need a good scale ). And there is no reason a balance beam scale won't work for you / they're just a little slower to check a powder drop.
Old August 23, 2009, 05:33 PM   #27
Fourbits

It Depends!

I use the Franklin Digital to check the performance of my Lee Auto Disk while reloading pistol ammunition. It works great for this purpose. I also have a beam balance I've had for years. It's the backup.

If I was reloading rifle rounds for 1000 yards I'd buy the best balance I could afford.

PS: The Franklin is on sale at Midway: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=713372

Fourbits
Old August 23, 2009, 09:08 PM   #28
ir3e971

I have had great luck with the RCBS Rangemaster 750 scale. Nice, accurate, and consistent. It also comes with its own checkweights.

I also use a 502 balance beam as a backup.
Old August 24, 2009, 02:05 PM   #29
Russ5924

There is nothing wrong with the scale you got from Lee. I have had two other scales and I keep going back to the Lee I got in the kit 7 years ago I keep meaning to replace it with another beam scale that had greater capacity just never seem to get to it. DON't buy a cheap digital they are not accurate enough and the lower the powder charge the more inaccurate they become. The biggest thing with the Lee is keep the powder as close to center in the pan and keep it ZEROED
Old August 24, 2009, 02:19 PM   #30
gdeal

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the scale you got from Lee... DON't buy a cheap digital they are not accurate enough and the lower the powder charge the more inaccurate they become.
Sounds like wisdom talking. I appreciate that. Thanks.
Old August 24, 2009, 06:27 PM   #31
BIGR

I must add that I always set up my RCBS 10-10 scale when loading with my RCBS digital scale. Some reason I still don't trust an electronic scale. About every 10th round I double check my charge on the 10-10 scale.
Old August 25, 2009, 10:18 AM   #32
CrustyFN

The scale in your link doesn't measure grains, that will be the measurement your will need the most. I have a Pact BBK II and it works fine but I used a friends Dillon electronic and that will be the next scale I buy. The Dillon was a very nice scale.
Old August 26, 2009, 07:35 PM   #33
James R. Burke

Sure alot of post on digital scales, glad I am getting some new information for myself. I have a older RCBS digital combo. I reload a fair amount but not has much as most of you do. It has always worked great for me. Like everyone is saying leave it warm up awhile. They are very sensitive to wind drift etc. I do all my filling before I move on to the next step. Takes awhile but works out good. Never had to trickel. If I do replace it someday I would get the new one. Has mentioned by Unclenick use the check weights now and then also.
Old August 26, 2009, 09:33 PM   #34
Tex S

Unclenick wrote:

Quote:
I also have a PACT scale that came with my PACT powder dispenser. It also has a plastic load cell. Mine tends to drift.
I have the same scale and dispenser. How much does your scale drift?

I have been rather unhappy with the PACT dispenser as of lately because it refuses to throw the same charge every time. I like 60 grains of H4831 for my 270 and the dispenser can be up to .5 grains off at any given time. It worked fine for the first few pounds of powder, but now it is starting to become inaccurate. Another thing that irritates me is that if I want to throw 60gr, and it throws 59.7, I can remove and replace the powder pan and the scale will then read something like 59.9 or 60. Its very confusing. I called PACT and they said the dispenser is messed up and they would warranty it for me. Heres the kicker... I live 20 miles from where they manufacture these devices. In fact, that was a major determining factor in me deciding to go with PACT. I figured that if anything broke I could just drive to their plant and have it fixed. Wrong!!! They told me that I would have to mail it in, wait 6 weeks, yada yada. Then the fella proceeded to tell me that if a customer showed up to their plant and walked in the door they would likely be shot. I was shocked to say the least. He said it jokingly, but still very unprofessional in my opinion.

I have taken a break from reloading because it is too hot in my garage, but I will have to have this repaired before winter. I should probably send it to them now. What a PITA. They are a 15 minute drive away. I explained my situation but they refused to make an exception. I guess we will see if they can fix it.

Last edited by Tex S; August 26, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old September 2, 2009, 08:04 PM   #35
sneaky pete

Your Lee Scale is adequatefor your reloading needs

old Sneaky Pete here: I feel that a digital scale is actually an unnecessary expense and unless you just want to spend money the Lee scale you have can be used to meet your needs, and if you still have your lee powder measure, which got very good reviews in "The Varmint Hunters Magazine",is satisfacttory once it is adjusted for the load you need. I am a NRA Metalic Cartridge Instructor and have read several books on reloading and talked to many "Benchrest" shooters about the topic. When I load for my 6.5X55 Swed or 5.56/.223 ARs, M-1 Garand, & 8MM Mauser what I do for measuring powder(IMR 4895 or Viht N-560) is 1st throw 10 charges from my powder measure (ya, I did go and spend the Big Bucks on a Harrell Custom 90 measure) and weigh it. Then devide by 10 to get the average throw and adjust as equired. I do this 3 times just to be sure. Then I start dumping powder and I do check randomly--usually once every 10 throws( +/-0.2gr is OK for ME)===There is absolutely NO reason to weigh every throw--a waste of time. For the rifles I load for 1/10th gr of powder = 8 FPS and for the ranges I shoot 200>600yds I can't hold +/- 16FPS. My advise is buy a Harrell measure. Of course if you want to spend the money and waste your time weighing every throw that's your business. Hope this helps. THANX--SNEAKY

Last edited by sneaky pete; September 2, 2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: sp.
Old September 4, 2009, 01:49 PM   #36
TATER

Acculab VIC 123

http://balance.balances.com/scales/906/