Open 4 2.61%
Concealed 94 61.44%
Depends 38 24.84%
Don't Carry 17 11.11%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 30, 2009, 09:48 PM   #26
cschwanz

concealed.

its nobody's business but mine to know if i am carrying a gun or not.
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old January 30, 2009, 09:49 PM   #27
Smallgame2100

I dont carry, but when I do it'll be concealed
Old February 3, 2009, 12:45 AM   #28
wjh2657

Here in Tennessee I can carry either way. I am the Gray Man. Always concealed.
Old February 4, 2009, 02:44 PM   #29
the_pragmaticist

In Ohio, we have the option to choose. You don't often see folks open carrying, but some do and I've done it myself without getting more than the occasional double take from the "nervous nellies". More often than not though, discretion prevails and it's kept well hidden.

On a side note, can anyone recommend a good OWB holster for a P3AT? I'm dying to OC this thing.
Old February 4, 2009, 04:10 PM   #30
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgraebert
On a side note, can anyone recommend a good OWB holster for a P3AT? I'm dying to OC this thing.
K&D You could try the Mini-Defender from K&D. I've been waiting a long time for my new holster from them, but I like their stuff.
Old February 4, 2009, 06:10 PM   #31
elrod

Quote:
In a civilized situation (urban/suburban environment)
Now, there's an oxymoron, if I ever heard one!
Old February 4, 2009, 06:37 PM   #32
Stiofan

I CC in town and on the trail. If I go deep enough on the trail where I need my .41 Mag for bigger critters, I'll open carry.

Information is power. I prefer around town not to give extra information to others whether I am carrying or not.
Old February 4, 2009, 10:26 PM   #33
P5 Guy

Only because that is the only legal way off my property. I'd rather not worry about being covered all the time in public. Open carry should be the norm in my opinion.
Old February 4, 2009, 11:16 PM   #34
scorpion_tyr

It depends. If I'm in out in public it's concealed, always. No open carry here in TX, but even if we could and the times I've been in states where I could I still don't.

If I'm on my property, in my house, out in the driveway, etc. It's open carry. I personally feel that the best place for my firearm when I'm in the house is on my side. It's the easiest to get to and I don't have to worry about any of the kids that live with me getting it.
Old February 7, 2009, 02:27 PM   #35
JayT.40

Open carry or concealed?

It just kinda makes sense to me to concealed carry if at all possible in public. I have some friends that would practically freak out if they saw a gun in public (especially on my hip ), and secondly, if someone comes in the store I'm in, intending to rob the place, him seeing the gun might just make me the first target of elimination. Count on him not asking politely for the gun.
Old February 7, 2009, 02:36 PM   #36
golfnutrlv

I live in WA, which is technically an open carry state. The law system as it is is not terribly clear about the standard, and open carry just brings up too many questions in my area.

Additionally, concealed carry gives you a tactical advantage, in that only you know it is there until the SHTF.

Better to be the phantom armed citizen. The goal of course is to protect your life, not make yourself a target by open carrying. IMO.

BTW: I support open carry rights, but I think it is not always the smartest play.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old February 7, 2009, 02:59 PM   #37
Kline605

Concealed most of the time, but have carried open when returning from a range or training.
Old February 7, 2009, 04:06 PM   #38
Para Bellum

concealed

The element of surprise.
I'd rather look like a lamb and fight like a wolf than the other way round...
Old February 8, 2009, 06:36 PM   #39
Glenn E. Meyer

I was thinking about this aspect. If you carry in an urban setting, have you gotten training in handgun retention and associated H2H techinques? Police do as they have significant number of incidents where they are shot with their own gun.
Old February 9, 2009, 08:52 AM   #40
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
I was thinking about this aspect. If you carry in an urban setting, have you gotten training in handgun retention and associated H2H techinques? Police do as they have significant number of incidents where they are shot with their own gun.
Probably not as much as I should, being a responsible gun owner. Although I do find that proper gear does help prevent someone else from nabbing your gun a fair bit.

I'm from a mostly suburban area though, not lost in the crowded streets of a metropolis, so we usually get a bit of space between each other.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:26 AM   #41
Singlesix1954

Nebraska

Lately we had cc permits added to our lives. The myth was that our state led folks to belive they were giving us more rights. Truth is they took our right to cc away with the option to buy it back. That said it is and has always been ok to carry open anywhere in the state. Very few oc often. I do when hunting, but not to Wally world or Pizza Hut etc. CC is almost a need to keep others around you from thinking you are nuts. Sort of a social stigma. For me I will get my permit more to protect me from the gray area of haveing guns in autos than self protection from badguys in rual NE. The politics have turned cc into a way for our state to charge us for one more thing. The big loosers here may prove to be batterd wives who don't have the guts to leave the kreep because that little pistol in the purse is a ticket to jail. It's a proven fact that waveing a restraining order at a mean creaton doesn't get the same respect as holding a gun and telling him to leave you alone. Now that girl has to come up with $100 and wait for a date for a course to protect herself.
Old February 9, 2009, 10:20 AM   #42
freakshow10mm

The element of surprise is never taught as a defensive action, always offensive. I know of no army or police force that trains to keep their arms concealed to have the advantage of surprise should they be attacked. They wear them openly.

I open carry more than I conceal. I only conceal at my other job because the boss wants me to. If I'm not at my other job, I'm open carrying. It's more comfortable and quicker to access if need be. No shirt or jacket to fling out of the way or lift. In MI, we have preemption that makes it illegal for local governments to pass or enforce laws restricting the carrying of arms. Every time someone gets arrested for lawfully open carrying, the city/police force gets taken to the cleaners.

OP, I know what you mean. I'm a WI native. Born in Oshkosh, lived in Milwaukee (84th and Good Hope; 91-95), most recently from Green Bay. I moved up here 4 years ago to get away from Doyle. Good luck with that.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:18 PM   #43
NavyLT

Quote:
The element of surprise is never taught as a defensive action, always offensive. I know of no army or police force that trains to keep their arms concealed to have the advantage of surprise should they be attacked. They wear them openly.
+1 I never could understand the element of surprise myth either. I suppose if your intention is to have a better chance at shooting a BG, then the element of surprise would make sense. But if your intention is to keep from being a target of a BG in the first place, visible detterence makes much more sense.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:43 PM   #44
supergas452M

Posted earlier by KLRANGL

Quote:
I usually run an OWB Blackhawk Serpa, and leave my leather jacket over it where it is mostly concealed. The Serpa is probably the greatest holster made, with its active retention, quick draw, and excellent comfort factor.

BlackHawk Serpa is the greatest holster ever????:barf:

Maybe you better read this!!

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=45333

And this!!

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=49192
Old February 9, 2009, 06:41 PM   #45
badlander

I carry concealed because open carry is illegal in Florida. I would open carry if it was legal. I am one of those older guys mentioned that carried concealed before it was legal. I always thought it better to get caught by police with it than some bad guys without it.
If you dress nice while open carrying most people will just think you are A cop.If you dress like A bum It will probably scare them.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:01 PM   #46
chemgirlie

Because I live in WI, I can't carry. If I could it would be concealed.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:11 PM   #47
gollbladder13

Yeah, I'm in WI too... what area? Know any good ranges?
Old February 10, 2009, 08:51 PM   #48
chemgirlie

I'm in the Madison area. I usually go to the Shooter Shop (near Milwaukee).
Old February 10, 2009, 09:27 PM   #49
KLRANGL

Quote:
BlackHawk Serpa is the greatest holster ever????

Maybe you better read this!!

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=45333

And this!!

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=49192
As someone who can admit that he is wrong, I very well may be wrong here... I say maybe because I take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt, especially ones I don't know. As I have many friends who own and swear by Serpas (as well as a cop buddy), I am a bit skeptical, but rest assured I will definitely look into this much more. Thank you for showing me this... It has definitely opened my eyes...