The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 23, 2000, 01:16 AM   #1
jdthaddeus

Hello,

I have become unsatisfied with looking at a box of ammo and the manufacturers' velocity claims and trying to guess at what the velocity really is in real life, especially out of a particular gun. Hollowpoint designs have an expansion threshold that must be met (velocity) for them to work. For total confidence in a defensive load, since load velocities vary from lot to lot and from gun to gun, I want to chrono my own defensive loads before I totally trust them. (I also handload, so the chrono would help there). So, I want to buy a chronograph.

I also need a timer. So, I was looking at the Pact MkIV which comes with the option of a chronograph.
I am concerned that something that works as a chronograph as a "secondary" function would be inferior to a standard chronograph. I am just wonderiong if anyone here has experience with Pact products and specifically the Pact MkIV timer/chronograph and could tell me if it is a good way to go or not.
I have never even seen a chronograph in person, so I don't know anything about them. Therefore, ANY advice on chronographs would be helpful.

If the Pact product is not a quality (accurate) chronograph for light (seldom) use, then I will just buy a Pact Club Timer II and a seperate quality chronograph.

thank you for your advice!
thaddeus
Old April 23, 2000, 02:37 AM   #2
bk40

thaddeus,

Not to worry my friend. The Pact MKIV is one of the best chronographs and timers on the market. PACT products are all outstanding in quality and their warranty is equivalent to Dillons no BS warranty.

ps- I do own the MKIV timer and would have opted for the chrono option, but I already have an Oehler 35P chrono. Oehler is another great firm to deal with (chrono's only).
Old April 23, 2000, 08:59 AM   #3
tonyz

Ditto

All there stuff is very good and reliable.

Tony Z
Old April 23, 2000, 06:20 PM   #4
HankL

thaddeus, do a search on "chronograph" in this section. It will yield 40 threads on this subject and should answer many a question for you. Good luck and best regards.
Hank
Old April 23, 2000, 10:54 PM   #5
jdthaddeus

Thanks! I will order one with confidence!