The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 25, 2000, 06:42 AM   #1
skipperJ

I am bringing my remarks from another thread in regard to recoil and the K-40 in hopes that some one here will have a suggestion or know of a competent gunsmith. This describes my problem:

After about 20 to 30 shots out of my K-40, I find that my trigger finger begins to hurt
right near the fingernail. I have small hands. It takes about a week for the pain to
subside enough to allow me to shoot again.

I called Kahr a few weeks ago and ask if they had received any complaints about this and ask if they offered a differently contoured trigger for the K-40. I was told that they had never heard of this problem. Yeah, sure!

Now, when I gather a few guns to take to the range, I usually choose my custom 1911 and my Glock 26. I'm looking for a good gunsmith who knows how to fix this problem trigger.

I really need to practice with this pistol since it is my primary CCW choice. What can I do?
Old May 25, 2000, 11:52 AM   #2
M1911

Skipper: Why is it making your finger hurt? Is the trigger guard hitting your finger?

It's never happened to me...
Have you tried gripping the gun very, very tightly? Does that make it more comfortable for you?

Jared
Old May 26, 2000, 06:53 AM   #3
skipperJ

I don't know why. I was hoping that someone would be having this same experience and had figured out a way to correct it.

The bottom on my trigger is somewhat sharp and I think that on recoil my finger nail is being pinched between the bottom of the trigger and the guard.

Oh well . . . Hey, I figured it out. The sharp edge of the trigger guard, just below the trigger is causing my problem. I have taken the sharp edge off with a dremel tool and abrasive rubber wheel and then polished with 600 grit paper. Thanks M1911 for sending me in the right direction on this.

[This message has been edited by skipperJ (edited May 27, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by skipperJ (edited May 27, 2000).]
Old May 28, 2000, 02:17 PM   #4
Larry2

I logged on hoping to ask a question about trigger jobs for a Kahr. When I saw this topic I thought it was an amazing coincidence, until I read the post.

I want the trigger pull on a Kahr made slightly lighter (now 7-8 lbs; I want it 4.5-5 lbs) and not as long (it feels like a double action revolver; I want it somewhat shorter). I do not have the Elite model. Kahr will install the Elite trigger for $88. But I understand this just makes it a little shorter and does nothing about the weight. I want it shorter and a little lighter. I suppose I need to send it to a gunsmith for a trigger job.
Does anyone have any recommendations? Can anyone give me an idea of what the cost would be for a trigger job on a Kahr from a good gunsmith? In the past I have paid anywhere from $60 - $120 for trigger work on other guns.