The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 16, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
MrApathy

anyone have longshot or WSF loads for 115/124gr9mm and 180gr 40sw?

just got done loading some Power Pistol now want to try the other powders I picked up.

anybody have load info willing to share? have done some searches and the data always seems somewhat incomplete.

I have no idea what OAL to use for WSF on 9mm have the Winchester manual pdf's downloaded not thrilled with the OAL info at all just list max for each cartridge with all powders.

using Hornady 115gr FMJ and 124gr JHP also hornady for 9mm.

for 40sw using Rainier 180gr flat point plated and Hornady 180gr FMJ.

I have Hodgdon 2004 magazine manual but the info looks inconsistent also have another hodgdon sheet for 9mm and 40sw on longshot same data. have the cheap "complete guide books" for 9mm and 40sw no longshot info, WSF data all over the place.

powerpistol was fun but dont care for the flash.

the max OAL for the Hornady 124gr I can use is 1.125" the FMJ can go to max. no issues with 40sw max is okay.

any help would be appreciated.

couple side questions is VV N340 temperature sensitive or how is VV 3N37 temperature sensitive. closest store that has VV has 3n37 but not N340 might be able to get them to stock it.

universal and bluedot pressure spike whats that like? doubt I will care for bluedots flash but it seems like it handles compression well seems alot of loads are compressed might try for 200gr or stick with longshot/powerpistol. universal here it burns clean,meters well but spike is something best left avoided in 40sw. can you adjust the OAL with universal out to 1.135 or should I just avoid universal go straight to VV powders? think I would like to take universal to what hodgdon publishes as max. the "complete 40sw manual" has sierra data which shows universal doing a heck of alot more than hodgdon publishes and outpacing powerpistol in a few instances rather scarry thought from what I have heard of pressure spike?

any help appreciated
Old July 16, 2005, 09:30 AM   #2
HSMITH

You can get Longshot data from Hodgdon, it used to be listed on the website but isn't anymore. I would skip it with the plated bullets though, it will likely strip the plating and make a mess of the bullets. It does work very well with jacketed bullets though. I would send an email to Hodgdon and ask for complete Longshot data.

Bluedot works well in 40, but DON'T push it!!!! BlueDot will spike pressure dramatically, KB is a real possibility. Basically what will happen is one load appears to be safe looking at the primers and measuring the cases, then a small increase in charge weight or a small shortening of OAL will flatten primers and bulge cases dramatically if you are lucky, if you aren't lucky you will rupture a case and have all the consequences that come with that. Stay within printed data and even then work up slow. The flash is a little less than Power Pistol but not much. Universal isn't quite as nasty when it spikes but isn't a lot better either, stay within printed data with it as well. WSF is a good powder for heavy bullets in 40 with a moderate to low flash, as is Unique. Neither tend to spike as violently at the top end either.

Universal provides very good performance in 40, ultra clean and accurate for me. I load my standard practice loads with it, 5.7 grains with whatever standard SP primer is on hand, mixed cases and 180 FMJ at 1.135" oal. It is a FULL power load, does about 1125-1150 for me out of a G22. I have not been able to top Power Pistol performance though, not even close really. I would be very leary of trying to do so too. At 5.7 you need to make SURE there is no chance of setback, setback is the real enemy with 40 and it will ruin your day and possibly your gun. Pay very close attention to preventing setback.

Power Pistol is one of the most forgiving 40 powders out there. If you can deal with the flash the performance, consistency, and safety are about as good as it gets. You can surpass factory performance with Power Pistol without getting to the top of the data, Longshot as well. If you want more I would suggest moving to a 10mm rather than trying to eek the last ounce of speed out of a 40.
Old July 16, 2005, 02:40 PM   #3
MrApathy

greatly appreciate the info. Universal pushing 180gr to 1150fps? sounds more like Longshot. my Hodgdon 2004 manual shows max load of 5.8gr OAL at 1.125 pushing 180gr XTP to 1050 fps roughly with 4" test barrel. is universal the kinda of powder where your best setting OAL to saami max and working loads up slowly? though I always work up my loads. then again it also list a 5.6gr max load for 165gr Sierra JHP then it shows a 6.3gr max load for 170gr XTP.

got my WSF info set for 40sw 180gr going to use start of 5.0gr to 6.2gr Max IIRC was pretty much the concensus of load data I gathered. though sierra did list a 6.6gr max and another source listed 5.6gr start. OAL1.135.

using lee factory crimp die so far with winchester and cci brass seating my bullets and crimping in 2 operations checking the OAL religiously. make sure it does not cave the case too much and bounce back which could allow setback.

on bluedot is that with published data or were you pushing it? I would be happy with its max listed data. if I want to go faster would try longshot,powerpistol and VV powders.

40sw data is pretty simple 1.125 or 1.135 OAL. 9mm is driving me nuts.
Winchester data list the Max OAL for 9mm with all bullets and Hodgdon has the OAL all over the place. 115gr Hornady I can take out all the way but the 124gr XTP can only go out to 1.125 on my gun.
Old July 17, 2005, 10:24 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

so far

IME Longshot sucks in 40.

3N37 can't be left in sunlight; superb powder in the .355" and .400" bores.

I use an OAL of 1.130"+/-.005" in 40 S&W.

Bullet jacket materials can vary wildly; why we start low.

? What do you wish your ammo to accomplish?
Old July 17, 2005, 12:49 PM   #5
MrApathy

in 9mm
115gr 1150fps to 1300fps
124/25gr 1150fps to 1250fps
147gr 950fps to 1050fps

40sw
135gr 1175fps to 1300fps
150gr 1075fps to 1150fps
155gr 1050fps to 1150fps
165gr 1025fps to 1100fps
180gr 950fps to 1050fps
200gr 850fps to 950fps if thats possible not sure bout 200gr
+/- 15-25fps
I think hodgdon has some dud batches of longshot out. out of the people I hear that dont like it havent seen much data on speed.

have tried power pistol and it will do well in 9mm and 40sw but I would like to find something without the flash. think I would like to avoid 3n37 for VV N340 if data holds up looks good. Longshot if data holds up would work although is weak in 9mm per factory data I have. WSF is mediocre in 9mm and the speeds are want might be atainable with WSF but would be max loads. Universal may work though is mediocre in 9mm and 40sw would be max loads. titegroup looks like good powder for the minimum I would want in 9mm and 40sw.

other than this learning and getting ready to load up some WSF then Longshot just got done with powerpistol loads. not sure bout other powders anything I get would like to use in 9mm and 40sw.

basicly reproduce factory loads. in no hurry either
Old July 18, 2005, 01:53 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

HS6
AA5
Ramshot Silhouette (WAP)

Last edited by WESHOOT2; July 18, 2005 at 01:54 PM. Reason: PP is VERY forgiving in the 40 S&W......
Old July 18, 2005, 02:02 PM   #7
caz223

WSF is great in .40......
HS-6 is prolly better, but you use more of it, making it more expensive.