The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 21, 2000, 12:36 PM   #1
Jeffly

I have decided on a .357 as my caliber of choice. Now I was wondering does any one have any advice on which one. I looked at the Winchester and the Marlin the Marlin is about 200 dollars more and almost a pound heavier. Any suggestions on these two guns?
Old February 21, 2000, 02:29 PM   #2
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy Jeffly,

Which one you choose is pretty subjective. I shoot a Marlin Cowboy and like it alot. It's smooth out of the box,very accurate,has great sights,a short lever throw,and ejects brass to the side instead of straight up. Lots of folks use them and do well with them.

Bellicose Bill
Old February 21, 2000, 03:44 PM   #3
Gunslinger

As Bill stated it is pretty subjective. I have a few Winchesters and one Marlin and personaly I prefer the Marlin. But I was not aware that they were that much higher than the Winchesters these days. Is that for a new "Cowboy" model? Are they still making the standard (non cowboy) model? I personaly think the new Cowboy models are over rated and over priced. No offense Bill. I'd still love to have one. Especially in the newly released .41 mag.. If forced to I'd even go as far as to look for a used Marlin instead of a new Winchester for the same money. But that is just me. You might consider going to a local shoot and asking to try each before shelling out the bucks. Most cowboy shooters are agreeable to this. You would need to bring your own ammo to do this and many are understandbly shy about allowing someone to use "unknown" reloads in their guns.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 21, 2000, 04:58 PM   #4
Jeffly

Yes, that was for new Cowboy. Don't know if yhey make non Cowboy Model.
Old February 21, 2000, 06:14 PM   #5
Ned Roundtree

Yes, $200 was about the price difference a couple of years back when I had to make a rifle decision. I eventually went with the heavier Marlin cause I felt the added weight would help on recoil and multiple target sight acquisition time. I also loved the octagon barrel and thought it added the cowboy touch. Have shot 92 Rossi, 94 Winchester, 73 Winchester and 94 Marlin. All I have found to be reliable and accurate. Personally, I have never seen a used Marlin Cowboy I or II in any gun store here. They just don't last. Quite frankly the Marlin Cowboy is worth the extra.