The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 21, 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
Ohio Annie

Bullseye beginner

For bullseye beginners there is a good article in the new issue of Shooting Sports USA about starting out with a Ruger MkII. Excellent, helpful article for a beginner like me, except for what I think is a major error. It says to never dry fire any rimfire and goes on to talk about putting in a firing pin of titanium. I have been told repeatedly that the firing pin in the MkII is not hurt by this. In fact, that is how I got rid of my ".357 flinch."

Anyway, good article otherwise.
Old April 21, 2005, 03:50 PM   #2
LHB1

Annie,
I don't think the potential damage is with the firing pin. I have always heard that dry firing a .22 rimfire pistol or rifle can cause a burr to form on the side of chamber where the firing pin impacts without a cartridge present. Such a burr can interfere with proper feeding and/or seating of cartridges in the chamber and in extreme cases can ruin the chamber.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old April 21, 2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Jim Watson

It is possible to design a .22 with a positive firing pin stop so that the firing pin will not strike the chamber rim in dryfiring. My FLG says that a High Standard HAS a stop but since it is just a roll pin it can itself get battered down and let the firing pin hit the barrel. I don't know about a Ruger. I fail to see what advantage a titanium firing pin offers the beginner.
Old April 22, 2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Ohio Annie

The nice thing about the article is it has a list of things to do when you reach each performance plateau. the firing pin change is the second thing mentioned. The first is to change the grip.

I'm leaving mine stock except for a red dot. It is the fixed sight blued one with 6 inch barrel. I would like to see my performance optimized before I change the pistol.
Old April 28, 2005, 08:05 AM   #5
Trapp

The Ruger MarkIII has the firing pin stop.........