The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 18, 2004, 12:19 PM   #1
Running Gunfight

Reviews for Shaw vid "Combat Pistol"?

I have searched here and on the web for a review of Shaw's "Combat Pistol" video and I can't find any.

I am a former CJ professional and have worked under some good firearms instruction (couple years removed and a litle rusty), so I know the basics. For example, I have Kelly McCanns 3 tape pistol series and nothing on there is really new to me, but it is good review.

I have a new 686 that I am going to work with and am planning to get Jerry M's "Advanced Revolver", but was wondering if anyone could give a review of Shaw's video. Is it worth the price of admission?

Thanks in advance.
Old July 20, 2004, 04:39 AM   #2
EricO

Running Gunfight, I've never seen the McCann videos but but I'm aware of his background. I own the Shaw video that you wrote about and perhaps another of his. I don't believe you will find much of further value from these tapes. However, if you're tired of the McCann videos I'd always be willing to trade my Shaw videos for them! ...perhaps even a Wilson Combat video as well.

The Shaw videos aren't that long, and much of the video is composed of a video advertisement for MidSouth Institute, Shaw's training area. The Combat Pistol video then goes on to showing Shaw and one or two of his instuctors performing and explaining about 10 shooting drills that they use to teach shooting skills. They basically filmed during a class for an LE agency. They talk a little about trigger reset and such, but as far as instructional videos go, not much material at all. The Wilson Combat instructional tapes are much better. On that matter, how are the McCann videos? I'd love to view them. How's about a temporary swap?

EricO