The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 22, 2002, 11:50 PM   #1
dirtbos

Brittanys

Would appreciate any input on American Brittanys and/or French Brittanys. Which do you prefer? What are their different traits, if any? Best bird dog between the two? If there is a difference.

I absolutely love to watch bird dogs work. Have been watching them on OLN. I especially like the Brittany's look.

Mike
Old October 23, 2002, 10:13 PM   #2
Fuzzy

I brought home an American Brittany pup over the weekend. Talk about energy, the pup is only 7.5 weeks old and he can jump out of the playpen I bought for him. I had to get some cardboard to make a makeshift roof so he won't get himself into trouble while I'm at work. This evening we went on a jog and he lead the way for over a quarter mile.

If you get a Brit, be ready for a very energetic dog. Also make sure you puppy proof your house. As I said, I keep mine a a baby's playpen while I'm out. It gives him room to move around but it keeps him safe so he doesn't do anything that could get him hurt or damage my house. When he gets a bit bigger I'm going to build him a dog run in the backyard.

I'm glad the breeder gave me all the good advice about preperations for this dog. If I didn't have that playpen, that dog would have either destroyed my house or gotten himself killed. I've found him chewing electric cords twice already.

As for a comparison between the French and American Brits, I'm not sure. I wanted to look into the French Brits but couldn't find any breeders on this side of the country.
Old October 24, 2002, 08:48 PM   #3
Pinball

I owned 2 American Brittanies.Both were excellent dogs and good hunters.You can't be harsh with one or it kinda breaks their spirit.Mine didn't stay long.I wanted close working Grouse dogs and they ranged far and wide.The old Field Trial blood at work.Both retrieved naturally but were better suited for Quail.And they were hyper.hyper,hyper.
Old October 31, 2002, 07:52 PM   #4
jroth

THE TROUBLE WITH BRITTANIES

"WIRED", IS THE MOST DESCRIPTIVE WORD FOR THEM.
gOT A FOUR YEAR OLD WHO JUST LOVED TO RUN, AFTER A BIT WOULD COME BACK AND HUNT. sTILL HAVE A GOOD NOSE AT TEN DOESN'T KNOW THE MEANING OF TIRED.
Old November 1, 2002, 09:51 PM   #5
ENC

Mine could clear the chain link fence pen in one leap. As mentioned above it would run for the horizon every chance she had. Very loving pet though as well. you just have to have the energy to match.