The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 3, 2017, 07:32 PM   #101
lefteye

Some of us may consider ownership of 40 scoped rifles to be exorbitantly expensive even if the scopes were not among the most expensive., e.g., Schmidt Bender or Nightforce.

Last edited by lefteye; April 3, 2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old April 3, 2017, 08:13 PM   #102
Mobuck

I figured that was coming. On the other hand, I don't live in a million $ house or drive a $50K vehicle.
Old April 3, 2017, 10:10 PM   #103
Dufus

Quote:
Quote:
Is there any scientific data that indicates that an expensive scopes have had fewer failures in the field than cheaper scopes?
I have none to offer. Such research doesn't exist. Even asking such a question is, itself, questionable.

But I can offer two(-ish) quick examples, from a sea of Leupold:
1. The only Leupold to ever fail in my family was run over by a truck.
Leupold replaced the scope, for free.

2. My father sent six scopes to Leupold last year (mostly because he was bored).
The newest one was 23 years old.
Five were cleaned, "tuned", "tweaked", and upgraded to the latest o-rings, coatings (where lenses were available), and gas mixtures, free of charge.
The sixth was replaced, free of charge, due to a part no longer available, with the latest-and-greatest equivalent model (~$1,300).

Try any of that with your Tasco, Simmons, Burris, or Bushnell budget scope...
Heck... try that with a Nikon, Swarovski, or Zeiss. Basically the same problems.

I know I have. The responses were, essentially: "Here's some fresh dog poop. Would you like to taste it?"

(The only exception being a [rather expensive] Bushnell where they wouldn't replace or repair it, but let me fight until I got a partial refund... )

I used to use cheap scopes. I learned my lessons the hard way.

Every Bushnell I have ever owned has failed.
Every Simmons I have ever owned has failed.
Every Burris I have ever owned has failed (except for a Red-dot ... but that's not a scope).
And the list goes on...

Surprisingly, most Tascos that I have owned have held up -- even if overall quality, clarity, and light transmission is/was absolute garbage. Even so... I don't trust them in applications that really matter.

Regardless of quality, clarity, light transmission, and warranty... If you're shooting deer straight-down, from 20 feet, you have a very different set of (lower) demands than I do when I'm out beating feet up and down the Rockies.
FrankenMauser's experiences almost mirror mine down to the last dotted "i".

I have been shooting most of my life (since I was 5 years old with my Dad) and have owned gobs of scopes and the rifles that they mounted to.

The oldest one that I still have and is still working is a Weaver variable that I purchased in 1967. My dad had one older, but I have it now. Also, I have a Leupold that he purchased in 1971 and never had a hitch with it and it has been used extensively over the years.

The last scope that I purchased was a Leupold VX1. That was late last year.

The clearest scope that I have used (not owned by me) was a March. I cannot justify the price of those, but they are extravagantly wonderful eyepieces.
Old April 4, 2017, 02:19 PM   #104
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck View Post
Buying expensive scopes would be fine for the shooter with 1-2-3 rifles but it would be exorbitantly expensive for a guy with 40 scoped rifles.

Bingo !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 4, 2017, 03:29 PM   #105
Husqvarna

quality costs money

https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/...in-norway.html

Quote:
Lost and found: ZEISS riflescope still working after nearly 10 years in the mountains
Anyone who goes hunting in the mountains must always expect weather changes, which cancel the expedition suddenly and unexpectedly. Sometimes, equipment is left behind. Also during recovering hunted game it can happen that the weapon is misplaced and cannot be found back.

In John Sveen’s case it was much simpler. He took a short break and afterwards he went on without his rifle, a ZEISS scope mounted on the rifle.
After nine years, John was amazed when his friend Knut Øyjorda found his gun in the mountains: The wooden stock was bleached out and brittle, the muzzle was rusted and unusable. Only the scope was still like new. The coating withstood the weather, the cold and heat could not harm the optics. The Customer Service in Wetzlar checked the scope in detail and concluded: ZEISS products are indestructible!
Old April 7, 2017, 08:39 AM   #106
SansSouci

Jeff2222,

After you have one lose zero or fog, you'll know why.

When I got into big game hunting in the mid-70's, Leupold Vari-X II was the gold standard scope except for high end German glass.
Old April 9, 2017, 11:10 AM   #107
Don Fischer

I think the quality cost's is a bail out. Of course it does but somewhere you have to consider cost and just how much more you actually get for all that extra money. And just how much light gathering ability is really necessary? If you really need all that much light gathering ability, I suspect legal hunting hours are either not yet or have past.

Anyone can buy a quality scope for well under $300! But it seem's the opinion of quality scope's is based totally on cost!
Old April 9, 2017, 02:24 PM   #108
reynolds357

Don, to be honest with you, I can not buy a scope that will be competitive in a 1k match for $300. I wish I could. I hunt with quite a few scopes under 300. Once you get into long range, be it hunting or target, the cheaper AO or cheaper side focus scopes just do not get the job done. Once you necessitate going to AO, you better go way up in price point or you will regret it.
Old April 9, 2017, 07:02 PM   #109
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

All this sounds like a case of buy what is needed for the job at hand. One of those deals where if what's needed is above the size of your billfold, take up a new line of work.

For many shooting "jobs", a $200 to $300 scope is plenty good. But, as the job becomes more demanding, the cost of the tool goes up.

1,000-yard competition is a whole different deal than the usual plinking or 200-yard shot at Bambi.
Old April 9, 2017, 07:46 PM   #110
reynolds357

Sans suci, I still think Redfield was king of USA glass in the mid 70s. They went to crap not much after that.
Old April 9, 2017, 10:25 PM   #111
223 shooter

Here is my cheapest scope on the left compared to one with more cost. The lens coatings , or lack thereof , makes the lens on the left perform like a mirror compared to the scope on the right. And that is just one lens surface. The scope on the left is a Simmons 4X 22 Mag and the right is a Weaver 4X rimfire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens coatings.jpg (150.1 KB, 31 views)
Old April 15, 2017, 02:12 PM   #112
the possum

I just noticed that the article I linked earlier has been updated to include several of the Vortex product lines, and a couple others.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm
Old April 16, 2017, 08:38 AM   #113
std7mag

Jeff2222,

It was asked, what kind of rifle you were shooting, and the question is still viable, and standing...

Not knowing what rifle your shooting, (aka 22lr, or a 300 WM) limits the correct responses.

Not knowing what rifle, and your keeping within 200 yards, I would probably recommend a Crickett..

Straight 4 power, with mil-dots. Actually really nice glass, for a price of $40...
Old April 16, 2017, 09:14 AM   #114
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I just noticed that the article I linked earlier has been updated to include several of the Vortex product lines, and a couple others.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm
Thanks for the link!
Old April 17, 2017, 09:53 AM   #115
the possum

I should drop those guys an email to thank them for writing the article. Even right here in this thread, guys keep dropping brand names without mention of what product/quality line they're talking about. That makes it extremely confusing! The same manufacturer may offer top of the line models, as well as lower tier cheapies, so it's hard to keep 'em all straight and know if you're actually looking at comparable quality from different makers.
Old April 17, 2017, 12:06 PM   #116
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by the possum View Post
I should drop those guys an email to thank them for writing the article. Even right here in this thread, guys keep dropping brand names without mention of what product/quality line they're talking about. That makes it extremely confusing! The same manufacturer may offer top of the line models, as well as lower tier cheapies, so it's hard to keep 'em all straight and know if you're actually looking at comparable quality from different makers.
I agree.

It is great information to have especially for someone like me that is new to using scopes.
Old April 18, 2017, 05:12 AM   #117
J.G. Terry

Another aspect...You get what you pay for.

Overtime I have accumulated some scopes that are keepers. Two are a 8x and 16x Leupold's. Overtime one builds confidence in certain brands. Yep, one can walk out the door with one of these scopes with the odds being very much in your favor that its gonna work. We have a small informal RF match locally. I was using a $100.00 made in China scope that crapped out. No doubt it was due to the heavy recoil of the Savage 93R17. The scope was new. Worked great then in the middle of a match totally lost the zero. Maker replaced the scope. Did he try to fix my old scope? Probably threw it into a pile and sent another from inventory. Where I'm going is that something is to be said for paying extra for good innards. Looks good and is good is two different things. I can get online and find a hundred buck scope with side focus and target knows and 50mm objective. Now is this scope is equal or better than a similar Leupold or Nightforce? What's the difference? How about repeatability of adjustments and mechanical strength? Bought second hand, my 8x and 16x Leupold's are pushing forty years old. Still working. Junk is on the junk pile.
Old April 19, 2017, 01:00 PM   #118
reynolds357

I must admit that scopes amaze me at times. I usually shoot high end glass. I put a Nikon Buckmasters on my five year olds 223 Savage. Zeroing in was a bit annoying.shots did not go where clicks told them to. Once zeroed, it held zero and shot well. Glass looked decent at range. He killed 3 deer with it this year. The last on he shot was just at legal light. I had a vx3 on my rifle. Long story short, I looked through his scope after he shot. The Buckmaster was as bright and clear as the vx3.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:42 PM   #119
edward hogan

Buying a used Nikon, Leupold, Burris or any other reputable brand that has Lifetime, Transferable Warranty is usually not a crap shoot. If the scope is defective or broken, the optic company will take care of you.

Ebay or Gunbroker can be a good source for used scopes, and you might find some listings on the various gun forums, though not much ever posted here.

My observation is that a used scope can be a great bargain. There are some well-regarded BSA, Simmons, Tasco, and even Mueller scope models out there too. The older Weaver and Redfield can be expensive and hard to get repaired.

Sighton is highly regarded among shooters for both build quality and optical performance. Vortex has great reputation for bringing most desired features with good optic performance at several value price-points. Like Zeiss' Conquest line and their new Terra line; a matter of features & performance over premium quality. Most buyers have a budget.

I have seen some exceptional optic performance and features from Athlon Optics. Their tactical and longrange intended scopesights are detail-packed and full of value. No longer do you have to break the bank to get a quality performing FFP illum scope.

Where money is the prime consideration, buying gently used quality made & lifetime warranteed gear is rarely a mistake.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:01 PM   #120
Berserker

You can get a nice vx3i for around 400, which is great scope for hunting. Vx2 less $, and good.

If you are shooting at the range in daylight, can gI a lot cheaper. Especially at that range.

I like click adjustmentstart. Most cheap ones have that now.

I think the money comes out for long range. I have heard some of those high end scopes are incredible in the dark.
Old May 22, 2017, 03:02 PM   #121
Berserker

I have package nikon prostaff, and the light is poor compared to vx3i.