The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
Famas

Problem shipping flintlock...need advice

Hello - I originally posted this question in the Laws and Civil Rights thread, and was recommended that I re-post my question here.

I recently made a purchase of a replica flintlock musket from an individual in Virginia. I live in Indiana. The seller has informed me that his MBE guy (what does MBE stand for?) will not ship this musket from Virginia to Indiana without an FFL. This is the first time I've heard of this. It is my understanding that in recent years there have been some changes made to BP laws from state to state. Is it the carrier that is causing the hold up? (USPS, FedEx, etc?) As far as I know, there are no such restrictions in Indiana...is it more restrictive in VA? I've looked on the NRA-ILA site concerning state laws, but nothing specific concerning a black powder musket.

Anyway, the person I work for is an FFL holder, but he is also confused by this FFL requirement for shipping a flintlock. As of now, the transfer is being held up on this technicality. Can anyone help with advice or thoughts?

Thank you.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The seller can mail it, USPS; as an antique under the law, there is no need to go through a dealer on either end. Sometimes there is a need to talk to the Postmaster and make sure he or she understands the situation, but I have had no problem mailing antiques and repros of antiques.

Jim
Old March 2, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

+1 to what James said . . . .
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old March 2, 2013, 11:57 PM   #4
BerdanSS

Yep....I JUST mailed a sidelock to PA from Indiana. No issues.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:34 AM   #5
mykeal

MBE is probably a mailing service, Mail Boxes, Etc. They basically pack items and turn them over to one of the commercial carriers. Like many of the retail storefronts that handle UPS and FedEx packages they don't have a clue what the laws are.

There are no restrictions on shipping or transferring black powder weapons via common carrier, or USPS either, for that matter.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
noelf2

Where is the seller in VA?
Old March 3, 2013, 10:19 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Tell the seller to go to the USPS and send it registered & insured mail.
Old March 3, 2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

What Mykeal and Gary said +1

Fingers (SHow Me MO Smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old March 3, 2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Willie Sutton

^^^ agreed.

And as the guy who suggested you ask here, welcome to the friendliest subforum on TFL.

Willie

Old March 5, 2013, 09:44 AM   #10
KEYBEAR

SHIPPING

It sounds like the seller dose not feel like doing the packing ? It sounds like the seller took the musket to a box wrap and ship and said ship this ??
Most BRS stores have no idea what a gun is be it black powder or not .

You do not need an FFL you can go ahead and pay for an FFL if you like .
It sounds like someone may be trying to get a extra buck or two from you ?
Old March 5, 2013, 11:13 AM   #11
maillemaker

Yup what Mykeal said.

Problem here is Mailboxes Etc. employee does not know what constitutes a firearm and what does not.

Steve
Old March 5, 2013, 04:50 PM   #12
gunloony

Quote:
Problem here is Mailboxes Etc. employee does not know what constitutes a firearm and what does not.
Never dealt with Mailboxes, but I can tell you that some USPS employees and UPS employees don't know their employers' policies related to guns. Sometimes it seems to be sort of luck of the draw whether you get someone who knows what they are doing. I had to try three times to get a USPS worker who knew that it is legal to mail a (modern cartridge) shotgun to a FFL in another state.
Old March 5, 2013, 06:30 PM   #13
PetahW

There may be a problem, if the OP isn't a US citizen...........

Old March 5, 2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Rigmarol

His location indicates he's French but in the US at this time.
Old March 16, 2013, 09:03 PM   #15
Famas

Rigmarol - His location indicates he's French but in the US at this time.

Correct.

To all - thank you for your advice and help. I did finally receive my reprodction Charleville m.1766. The problem was the carrier, not the seller. It would seem that carrier services all have made their own rules concerning BP firearms, regardless of national/state law. In my case (and the seller's), FedEx was happy to expedite.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:27 PM   #16
bn12gg

Less than a month ago I took delivary via USPS of a .45 caliber flintlock. Ohio to Florida -- no issue.

David
Old March 19, 2013, 01:39 AM   #17
Shotput79

Not had a problem in thirty yrs. Only they come USPS and not UPS now. I took a Remmy 58 in the post office here and coulldn't find the right size box and the guy not only help me find a box he packed it up for me.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:33 AM   #18
Rifleman1776

What others have said. Muzzle loaders are shipped like they are shoes, no problems. But, we do have more and more uninformed clerks and handlers who will claim, ignorantly, that such and such cannot be shipped. They are too stupid to argue with. Makes a hassle but just go elsewhere. I use USPS Click-N-Ship. Check the box with the restrictions and mail man picks up at my door hassle free.
Old March 21, 2013, 08:35 AM   #19
chewie146

It's worth the small premium for the pick-up to not deal with stupidity.