The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 19, 2011, 02:40 PM   #1
MikeGoob

trying to find laws about notifying an officer you are carrying

I have a valid CCW that has reciprocity with the states I'm traveling through but I cannot find out if they have 'required to notify' police laws if I'm stopped on the road.

I will be passing through MO, AL, KY, TN, AR, MS, and LA

anyone know or know where to find it?

www.handgunlaw.us is silent on this issue when I look up the state.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:52 PM   #2
MikeGoob

guess I'll answer my own question--I found it in the PDF for each state. I was looking for it in a paragraph but it has it listed in the corner. Thanks!
Old October 19, 2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Pahoo

When in doubt, show to all !!

First off, don't get pulled over. Second, show to all and at the least, it's just a good courtesy. LEO's already know that there plenty of folks out there who are carrying. ..

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Be Safe !!!
Old October 19, 2011, 03:05 PM   #4
MikeGoob

Ill try not to get pulled over, but its a long road trip with coworkers sharing the drive so we may get pulled over against my control. And its why Id rather not notify this time even though I normally would if I was driving alone. I don't want my coworkers to know I carry, but I will notify if I have to.
Old October 19, 2011, 05:54 PM   #5
X_shooter

Coworker? Is this a company sponsored thing? Be careful of your company guidelines and carrying while representing your company. Its a stretch i know. One company I worked for had some goofy ones that I know caused some folks to part ways because of things that occurred during a company sponsored event far away from the actual workplace.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Mobuck

not required in Missouri
I follow the don't tell unless asked theory.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Stressfire

Mike, if you're asking if you need to notify as a passenger, that is something I am rather curious about myself.

Have not been pulled over yet when someone else is driving, but existing laws do not specify (in Ohio, anyways) if you must notify when a passenger.

Simply a blanket statement of "Must notify officer during law enforcement interaction". But if I am a passenger and we are pulled over, they are not interacting with me, are they? Seems a bit of a grey area.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:14 PM   #8
MikeGoob

as a passenger maybe I can pretend to be asleep? lol
Old October 19, 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Alaska444

Some states require notification and some don't. The poor soul being prosecuted back east some where shows how important that this is even though the rogue cop was way out of line.

Here in Idaho, you don't have to notify and our CCW instructor who is a part time cop as well says, don't tell them unless asked to avoid any potential confrontation. That is here in Idaho, but again, you need to know your own state or those you are going through. As a couple folks have stated, don't get pulled over in the first place is the best way to avoid the issue.
Old October 19, 2011, 08:32 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

It has been a while since I took the class so I am unsure if there is a law that requires telling if I am carrying to an LEO. I know whenever they have run me, and I was not carrying, the first question they asked when they came back is if I was armed. Then mentioned that my CHL showed up when they ran me. I was not carrying so I did not volenteer the info at the time. The cop also asked why in the world I was not carrying when I have a liscense to do so.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:22 PM   #11
PigFarmer

TX is must tell if carrying and asked for identification, doesn't matter if your driving or passanger. If they ask for your ID and you are carrying you must present both DL and CHL.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:26 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

While that is true, it is my understanding that there is no longer any penalty for failing to inform in TX.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:18 PM   #13
ProShooter

Last time I looked, La. required notification.
www.ProactiveShooters.com
Old October 19, 2011, 10:35 PM   #14
egor20

MikeGoob

Quote:
www.handgunlaw.us is silent on this issue when I look up the state.

At the very top of the page when you click on the states silhouette it will have the notification status

Example MO:

Missouri----------------Shall Issue---------------Must Inform Officer: NO

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 19, 2011, 11:18 PM   #15
MikeGoob

Thanks, I did eventually find it!
Old October 19, 2011, 11:40 PM   #16
farmerboy

Here in Texas, I know you will not be traveling there but in Tx you do have to notify if driver. Failure could be a 30 day suspension the first time. Doesnt make sense to me but anyhow. As soon as you get ran (drivers info) it will come back like someone previsely said but it is still a good idea. I dont know about all but attitude carries someone alot farther.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:43 PM   #17
zxcvbob

Farmboy, are you sure? I thought you were required to notify but there was *no* penalty for not doing so. (doesn't matter to me because Texas doesn't recognize my permit -- so I can have a gun in my car under the "travelling" provisions and have no obligation to notify)
Old October 20, 2011, 01:36 AM   #18
farmerboy

That's what don't make mo sense to me. You suppose to notify for your permit yet anyone else no permit can have concealed handgun and keep quiet You can have a concealed gun unless you are a felon
Old October 20, 2011, 05:17 AM   #19
GM2

Quote:
it's just a good courtesy. LEO's already know that there plenty of folks out there who are carrying. ..
Just as simple as that, can't see why it would be a problem to notify. Having
been a LEO for 32 yrs I know I would appreciate the notification.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:45 PM   #20
MikeGoob

usually its not a problem for me to notify. I explained my concerns this time a few posts ago
Old October 20, 2011, 01:56 PM   #21
JN01

Quote:
Mike, if you're asking if you need to notify as a passenger, that is something I am rather curious about myself.

Have not been pulled over yet when someone else is driving, but existing laws do not specify (in Ohio, anyways) if you must notify when a passenger.
Incorrect for Ohio. ORC 2912.16 (E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code or a license to carry a concealed handgun that was issued to the person by another state with which the attorney general has entered into a reciprocity agreement under section 109.69 of the Revised Code, who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following :

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;
Old October 20, 2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Pahoo

Beat the drum slowly !!!

This question just keeps popping up and will not go away. ....

What is so difficult or confusing about showing your CCW permit whenever you get pulled over? Y'all know the LEO is going to ask you for your license so just hand him both at the same time. Would you rather wait for him to ask you and everyone else in the car giving you confused looks? ...
It's really a no-brainer as you don't have to do a mental review of what state you are in. ....

I know of one case where this was done, the LEO reviewed the info and never brought the subject up or pursued it. Just did his thing and and gave the driver a warning. What are we really afraid of?

Be Safe !!!
Old October 21, 2011, 07:24 AM   #23
Mobuck

Basically, it's the idea that the traffic stop has NOTHING to do with me being armed. To begin with, I don't get stopped often since I make a concerted effort to obey traffic laws. That doesn't prevent me from being stopped for an inadvertant error like a light not working or just a bored cop looking for some action.
I personally don't care to be treated as a potential murderer just because I have a bad bulb. The premise that anyone with a gun is a danger to a LEO or any other person needs to be changed. I went through a discussion of this on another forum and it went all sorts of sidewise.
A person who carries a firearm legally is no more a danger than a mechanic who carries a wrench in his pocket. If the cop wants to ask if I'm armed, I have no problem answering and producing my license(actually in MO, it's an "endorsement" ON THE DRIVERS LICENSE).
Over 8-9 years I've had a CCW permit, I've had maybe 3 encounters with a LEO and was asked for my drivers license(once each in MO, KS, and Iowa). Each time the officer knew I had a permit from the response on the DL(since it is an "endorsement" on said license). The MO and KS troopers didn't even mention the fact but the city cop in Iowa got all sorts of hinky and wanted additional information like registration, insurance, and even asked to look through my Jeep (which I refused). That was prior to Ia passing the CCW law and I'm sure he was fishing for a sucker packing across the line.
Old October 21, 2011, 08:58 AM   #24
Stressfire

Quote:
who is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as a result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose or is the driver or an occupant of a commercial motor vehicle that is stopped by an employee of the motor carrier enforcement unit for the purposes defined in section 5503.34 of the Revised Code, and who is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle or commercial motor vehicle in any manner, shall do any of the following :

(1) Fail to promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the person has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the person then possesses or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle;
Well, there we go then Thanks for the correction
Old October 21, 2011, 03:24 PM   #25
farmerboy

Everyone is different. When doing a traffic stop i like it when i walk up ant they tell me they have a concealed gun or they hand me their concealed license. I just ask them where it is and then we continue. I figure they are mostly law abiding citizen it's the gang bangers at 2-3 am that you like to find a gun I'n their car then stick anything nag everything to them. Remember it's alot of attitude if I'm gonna cite you or not . I'd try to make stop easy and politely as possible hopefully just a warning and if you do get cited for speeding and were then oh well. It's life. We all have jobs to do