The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 16, 2009, 07:38 PM   #1
chrisbarcelo

opinions please?

Good day every one. I was on my house (I was on vacation then), enjoying the foods and all (no drinks were served). Now the problem started when a drunk 20 year old started to get inside my gate and harassing my visitors. To dispel the situation, I drew my hand gun telling my visitors to get inside. Now the point here gentlemen is that as a Marine (I m a Filipino) we were trained to draw and shoot. That boy never knew that he was that close, really close to getting shot. Its that inner voice at my head that until now keeps on bothering me of nearly shooting a drunk kid. Now anybody can help me with this just to appease my mind? I know, shooting a group of ASG in Mindanao are two different things than shooting a drunk kid young enough to be my nephew. Please advice.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:50 PM   #2
oldkim

You felt the need to draw...

Were you in fear of your life or for your friends? I'm assuming here but the teen must of done more than just step onto your property and harass your vistitors to have you draw on him. Did he present with a weapon? Make threats? There's lots missing here.

You may need to bone up on the lethal use of force for where you live.

I'm also assuming the police were called? Did you detain him?

To esculate into drawing your firearm.... what am I missing?

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old February 16, 2009, 07:58 PM   #3
chrisbarcelo

Yes sir, he sir, he did hit my friend's head with his knuckles, and the reason why I have to draw was that after hitting my friend, he steps back and hid his hands at his back, it was dark and I was assuming that it was a knife or a gun, we found out latter on sir that it was just his bluff just to scare every one. And that really gives me the jitters.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:03 PM   #4
chrisbarcelo

I did not call the police sir, you see, its the philippines and sometimes police comes after 2 or 3 hours latter. What i did after was to send all my friends home. He did not threaten (the kid) anyone though, but hitting a friend with his knuckles is more than a threat. Actually the reason why I have to draw my gun was that he was hiding his hands at his back and was actually kind of pulling something.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:40 PM   #5
troy_mclure

if he acted like he was going for a weapon then you did the right thing. you always have to assume that the threat is serious. the threat being him reaching for a weapon.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 18, 2009, 03:08 AM   #6
chrisbarcelo

Thank you very much sir for your advice.
Old February 18, 2009, 03:20 AM   #7
treo

I have to agree Mr. Barcelo. the young man entered your premises uninvited and ( I assume) unlawfully. Comitted battery on at least one of your guests & acted in a manner that caused you to believe he was armed and about to continue his assault.
You did nothing wrong.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:59 AM   #8
OldMarksman
Staff

It depends on the law in the Philippines.
Old February 18, 2009, 12:01 PM   #9
davlandrum

Quote:
It depends on the law in the Philippines.
And we have a winner!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 18, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
onthejon55

so you were close to shooting him?
close only counts in horse shoes and hand gernades

If you honestly felt threatended then you did nothing wrong. there is no reason to feel down on yrself because some drunk guy decided to harrass your guests and act in a threatening manner. in this case the age of the man has nothing to do with what actions should have been taken. Cheer up no one got hurt.
Old February 18, 2009, 05:43 PM   #11
NavyLT

You did just fine. Hopefully the little s**t knows not to come back.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:45 PM   #12
doh_312

I think you did a fine job. Frankly I see no reason to feel bad about the situation. You drew when you felt there was a threat. Presenting your weapon in defense (esp on your own property) if perfectly acceptable to me. Had he been drawing a knife or worse you had the best defensive advantage possible having your firearm out and ready. He didn't present a weapon (and left without incident I assume) so you didn't shoot the guy. I myself probably would have done the same. Although the guy is one lucky SOB that he didn't end up full of lead.
Old February 18, 2009, 08:12 PM   #13
lagavulin62

when I first read the post I thought you acted too swiftly with the gun. but after your inclusion of the full details I agree with the rest that you did the right thing. you feel guilty because you are a decent guy who doesn't want to resort to lethal action or even threats. nobody does, but sometimes we have to do things that we wish we didn't. and also like one poster said, age has no bearing on this. when a child threatens adults(or anyone for that matter) he has to accept consequences as an adult.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:39 PM   #14
chrisbarcelo

Thank you gentlemen for your replies, I really appreciate it.
Old February 18, 2009, 10:44 PM   #15
chrisbarcelo

Thank you gentlemen for your replies, I sincerely appreciated it.