The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 26, 2000, 02:49 PM   #1
leedesert

Someone else brought this up in GT and when I looked inside my new (200rds) G30 I noticed the same thing. Metal parts are beginning to peel layers of metal. Like a bad chrome job on a bumper. You can flake the metal layers back with your finger nail. It's definatly not just the finish.

I ask this here because this individual got flamed by several people justifying their purchases. TFL has always been more objective then that.

Has anyone else seen this happen.

------------------
"It is easier to get out of jail then it is a morgue"
Live long and defend yourself!
John 3:16

[This message has been edited by leedesert (edited May 26, 2000).]
Old May 26, 2000, 03:30 PM   #2
Rainbow Six

Where "inside" the gun? I've never seen anything peeling on any of my Glocks. Could be G30 related. I don't have one of those, yet.

------------------
The Glock freak formerly known as Chris...
Old May 26, 2000, 05:27 PM   #3
johnwill

I have four Glocks, including a G30. I've never seen this on any of them, so something is certainly wrong. Where exactly is this metal peeling from?
Old May 26, 2000, 07:07 PM   #4
Jeff, CA

I had the same problem - the finish on the firing pin safety (mod 23) was bubbling up and peeling off (just like the chrome on a bumper), some on the face, but particularly on the sides. It was binding in its hole, and causing the slide to stop about a quarter-inch out of battery, until I reset the trigger, whereupon it would go into battery. I put in a new part from Glockmeister, and that seems to have fixed it.

Old May 26, 2000, 07:45 PM   #5
Will Beararms

I noticed it on the inside portion of the slide just ahed of the ejection port on my G22.

I called Smyrna and they said not to worry about it.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old May 26, 2000, 10:59 PM   #6
leedesert

It's happeming on my firing pin saftey. Should I have to buy aftermarket parts to prevent this from spreading?

------------------
Old May 27, 2000, 07:44 PM   #7
Will Beararms

Lee: I hate to pour salt in the wound but the I bet that Old P97 did'nt do that . I hoe that this is just something indicative of break-in. If it's not, send that puppy back asap and good luck!

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."
Old May 28, 2000, 10:07 AM   #8
leedesert

Hey Will,
I guess you remember my owning the P97. Yes you are right. The P97 hardly even showed signs of wear and I had over 2000 rnds through it. I still enjoy the Glock though. It does shoot well and is much more concealable.
It's very frustrating looking for advice on the Glock though because most of the Glock owners I've spoken with on GT are almost part of some Glock cult or something. They'd rather cut their arm off then admit a possible problem with a Glock pistol. And don't you dare comment about Glock's customer service.
I am going to type a polite but straight forward letter to Glock to see how they respond.

------------------
Old May 28, 2000, 10:56 AM   #9
Robb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Will Beararms:
I noticed it on the inside portion of the slide just ahed of the ejection port on my G22.

I called Smyrna and they said not to worry about it.
[/quote]

That peening is usually seen on all .40's, .357 Sigs, and 10mm Glocks, the .45's may do it but I don't know for sure. It comes from the locking block front edges being slammed up against the slide during recoil (the polymer frame actually flexes also), this is one reason for the extra pin in anything larger than a 9mm. The peening stops getting worse after about 5,000 rounds, usually you will also see some weird stuff in the bore(it looks like pitting but its not) it eventually also goes away after 5,000 rounds.
Robb