The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 21, 2018, 09:57 PM   #26
ice monkey

Well, is it in yet lol? I’m about to order the very same rifle myself and would love to hear what your thoughts are..
Old July 22, 2018, 01:23 AM   #27
DPris

Nope.
Stock, trigger, scope all here, gun is not.
Waiting for it to come in so we can determine ring height.

Remington moves very slowly.
Denis
Old July 22, 2018, 11:14 AM   #28
ice monkey

Man, that’s killer!

Quote:
Goal is a short & handy quality package to engage from 50-400 yards, if needed.
The .308 is fairly forgiving of a shorter barrel.
Nice. Me too. But 400 is a little close.

I’ve been thinking about this rife for a little while with an eye to it being the “perfect” trunk gun for me out here in KS where things can open up to insane distances. When I was in the city 24/7, I had a shotgun in the trunk and all was good. Then when I started to regular north-central KS, I bought a nice Marlin 336 30-30 lever for the trunk. Love that rifle with its little 16” barrel as well. But 200 yards (max range of my lever), even defensively, can be short out here if someone has you pinned down. There’s not much to hide behind! So I got to thinking about something that’ll reach out farther.

At first, my thinking was all about the lightweights. Kimber Adirondack, Barrett Fieldcraft. Fantastic rifles that are great if you got to hoof it, but those pencil barrels are pretty thin! I could see some stringing after the third shot if not the second. Great rifles for stalking and making the kill when hunting, but not much good for defensive purposes.

Then I saw this rifle. A bull barreled 16.5” .308 - I figured it was a nice little platform! One that might just be my perfect trunk gun that could also double for hunting and some “long range” target shooting.

Ok, long range is subjective, but being the .308 out of that barrel will stay supersonic out to 850 yards with a light bullet (150gr), I figure it’s a 800 yard gun. That’s pretty darn far! Moreover, the harmonics on a barrel that short should lend itself to being able to actually hit things out that far!

It’ll be a handy rifle for sure! I’ve handled rifles that are “top heavy” before, they balance great for me. It takes em a while to swing, but once in action, they swing (track) great... but only if they aren’t too heavy! And that’s my task. If it’s going to go out hunting too, it’s got to stay relatively light.

I knew that the rifle might need some aftermarket stuff, and that’s ok, but now it’ll be all about the weight for me. They say it’s a 7.5lb rifle. Which is odd because the exact same rifle with a 20” barrel they (Remington) say is 7.5lbs too lol!

I figure if I can get a lightweight stock, say 2lb, then I’ve shaved off a pound being the Hogue is a 3lb stock. So if I can keep the muzzle guard/scope/rings under two lbs, I should be able to keep it at 8.5lbs all in. That’d be pretty sweet and could possibly even make it an ok swinging gun!

The only thing I can’t resolve in my mind is the bottom metal. Do I want a mag, or don’t I? That and mscope magnification? Do I need 20 times magnification out at 800max? Would be nice lol... but do I need it lol?

Ok... well that’s my rambling lol! What do you think? What stock model and scope model did you get? Weights?

Last edited by ice monkey; July 22, 2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old July 22, 2018, 12:47 PM   #29
DPris

This fiberglas McMillan is 2 pounds 2 ounces.
Have not weighed the Trijicon scope, I'll be going steel on the rings.

I do most emphatically NOT want a detach magazine.
They get in the way & they can get lost.
I would not be buying several spares to carry for quick reloads.
Denis
Old July 22, 2018, 12:56 PM   #30
ice monkey

Your 2.125lb stock sounds perfect.

Yeah, I’m not too sure about the mags either. What magnification did you get on your scope?
Old July 22, 2018, 01:37 PM   #31
DPris

Green mil-dot 3-9x40.
Denis