The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 26, 2018, 04:54 PM   #51
stagpanther

Well--latest report--and it's not so good. I ordered Willaims peep and firefights--the peep is simply too high even with a front sight height of .5"--so I ditched the rear peep and put the stock semi buckhorn--tootsie roll back on. Tried using it; but because of the gloss finish of everything it's impossible for my already challenged eyesight to get a fix on anything due to reflective flash.

So, gave up and decided to put a loopy scout scope on--which helped me see things better--but I just can't overcome the 7 lb trigger pull to get any kind of repeatable accuracy.

So I have crowned her safe queen to rule over the kingdom of over-priced paperweights while I decide what to do--though wasting any more time and money is not part of the future plans.
Old June 29, 2018, 01:44 PM   #52
Picher

It should be fairly easy and inexpensive to have a good gunsmith clean up and lighten the trigger pull. I've heard horror stories about Browning service, so wouldn't use recommend sending back.

If it were a few years ago, I'd have volunteered to fix the trigger pull for you, but I'm cutting back. (Live near Augusta)
Old June 29, 2018, 02:20 PM   #53
stagpanther

Quote:
It should be fairly easy and inexpensive to have a good gunsmith clean up and lighten the trigger pull. I've heard horror stories about Browning service, so wouldn't use recommend sending back.

If it were a few years ago, I'd have volunteered to fix the trigger pull for you, but I'm cutting back. (Live near Augusta)
I'm up on Mt Desert--do you know anyone in Maine that you honestly think has the real expertise to do this?
Old June 30, 2018, 04:21 AM   #54
Picher

Several people I know used Jud Bailey for re-barreling and other work. "The Workshop, 368 Todd's Corner Road, St. Albans ME 04971. He's a custom gunmaker in St. Albans, but, does repairs/improvements as well. He's done some very nice work for me also.

Cleaning up a lever-action trigger is NOT rocket science. Any decent gunsmith can do it.

I haven't done work for a fee in many years, have just worked for friends/acquaintances free, so there's minimal liability. After a few difficult jobs on poorly-maintained guns lately, and considering my age, I'm done with that also.
Old June 30, 2018, 04:45 AM   #55
stagpanther

Thanks for that. I once took apart my Rossi 92 to improve it's trigger and succeeded no problem--but I've read that it's easy to botch the BLR's pinion timing.
Old July 18, 2018, 04:09 PM   #56
stagpanther

Update--a couple weeks ago I talked to Browning and they said they would be happy to take a look at it--except that I have to download their return form, pay for the shipping both ways as well as insurance and if anything happens at all along the stream it was all on me. Hmmm. Decided to give Davidson's a call ( they have a pretty good guarantee) and they said no problem we'll get you a new one. Said new rifle arrived today and is exactly the same as the first I returned--the trigger breaks between 6.5 and 7.5 lbs. Browning still advertises the trigger as breaking around 4.5 lbs http://www.browning.com/products/fir...ifles/blr.html but the reality is way out of line with this claim IMO. I'm sorta stuck trying to make my mind up--I guess I'll tough it out and track down an advanced smith with experience working these triggers to reduce the pull.
Old July 19, 2018, 09:10 AM   #57
zeke

Have a BLR in 308, and had the stock cut down for shorter LOP. Huge difference in balance and quick pointing. One inch is a lot when dealing with LOP.

Careful with the trigger, they are NOT like working on anything else and easily screwed up and expensive to replace.

Would try breaking in the trigger before finding a gunsmith familiar with BLR triggers who guarantees his work.

My BLR is very accurate till the barrel heats up, and the chamber is tight.
Old July 19, 2018, 06:09 PM   #58
stagpanther

Using a comparator I'm coming up with a freebore length of approx .7" +/- . The magazine unfortunately tapers so that the the cartridge COL allowed is right around 2.8. Kinda surprised that there's no room for longer cartridges--does anyone know if in general all the BLR's use the same general magazine size? I would guess that might be the case since there is a significant taper to the magazine on my short-action 7-08.
Old July 20, 2018, 03:52 PM   #59
stagpanther

I've tried a few different reloads (and some factory ammo) and have more or less gotten used to the stiff pull--I kinda "sneak up on it and pull fast and hard." Even so, I can't anything to group worth beans. My first--and probably last Browning being 0 for 2. In contrast--I've never had any savage or ruger gun that couldn't do MOA or better right out of the box--and usually did pretty well with most types of loads and ammo. I still can't quite understand the exceedingly short magazine box with a long freebore chamber.
Old July 21, 2018, 05:26 AM   #60
s3779m

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Well--latest report--and it's not so good. I ordered Willaims peep and firefights--the peep is simply too high even with a front sight height of .5"--so I ditched the rear peep and put the stock semi buckhorn--tootsie roll back on. Tried using it; but because of the gloss finish of everything it's impossible for my already challenged eyesight to get a fix on anything due to reflective flash.

So, gave up and decided to put a loopy scout scope on--which helped me see things better--but I just can't overcome the 7 lb trigger pull to get any kind of repeatable accuracy.

So I have crowned her safe queen to rule over the kingdom of over-priced paperweights while I decide what to do--though wasting any more time and money is not part of the future plans.
If they make them for your gun, you might try fiber optics. I have a couple of marlins, 357, 30-30 that
just got too hard to see as I got older. The fiber works good in the daylight, I use something else for low light. The one draw back, the front sight is too thick, wish I would have gone with a smaller thickness. But even with the ones I have they are great for hunting, the 30-30 anyway, the 357 is just for fun.
By the way, that is one good looking gun, hope you get the trigger worked out.
Old July 21, 2018, 07:29 AM   #61
stagpanther

Quote:
If they make them for your gun, you might try fiber optics. I have a couple of marlins, 357, 30-30 that
just got too hard to see as I got older. The fiber works good in the daylight, I use something else for low light. The one draw back, the front sight is too thick, wish I would have gone with a smaller thickness. But even with the ones I have they are great for hunting, the 30-30 anyway, the 357 is just for fun.
By the way, that is one good looking gun, hope you get the trigger worked out.
I have a William's fire sight which is great but simply isn't high enough. I called marbles to see if they make a bullseye rear sight that fits the BLR--very unfortunately they don't--I love that sight on a lever--works really well for my bad eyes. I put a prostaff 3 x 9 scope on and even with that I have big problems getting good results.

I just read someplace that the BLR needs 200 to 300 rounds through it for the accuracy and trigger to get good--hope that's true.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 21, 2018 at 09:01 AM.