The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 20, 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Siggy-06

Sig P220: What to expect

I'm a fan Sig's all metal pistol offerings. I have a P229 in .40s&w that shoots and handles excellent. I recently acquired a 1911 in .45 and wanted to add another pistol in the same caliber. Enter the P220. I've handled a few but never got to fire one. I have the option to buy one at a great price(current production). Hows the reliability, recoil absorbtion, magazine cost, and aftermarket support?
Old April 20, 2018, 07:49 PM   #2
MandolinMan

The P220 is a very reliable, time tested design. A quick google search should answer your question regarding magazine cost and aftermarket support.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old April 20, 2018, 09:13 PM   #3
lamarw

I have the newer basic Nitron P220 and an older ST model which is Stainless Steel. The ST is significantly heavier. I have never needed support. Both are your full size .45 ACP, and recoil is more of a push which I also find typical of my 1911's. If you like your P226, then you will also like the P220.

We are hearing a lot about the problems with the P320 and P365. Don't expect any of what we are reading with the P220 & P226. I own a couple of P226's and a P229. Never a problem with any of those great pistols. Enjoy~
Old April 21, 2018, 12:28 AM   #4
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy-06:
I have the option to buy one at a great price(current production). Hows the reliability, recoil absorbtion, magazine cost, and aftermarket support?
I once had a current production (Exeter) P220 that I bough brand new and it was a nice shooter and a very high quality gun. I personally think the earlier German built P220 pistols were of better quality and probably better range guns, and if I come across a decent older German P220 at a good price, I’ll snag it.
Old April 21, 2018, 12:03 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I've carried a 220 for years. It was on my hip during the King Riots.
Old April 21, 2018, 04:07 PM   #6
shurshot

Expect a very accurate and comfortable Commander sized pistol. When not carrying one of my favorite revolvers, my Sig 220 with the E2 grip is in my waistband. Very fun gun to shoot.
Old April 21, 2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Siggy-06

Thanks for all the input everyone. I looked around online at magazines, they seem to range for $33-40 each(kind high but that's german guns for you). I might want to add thinner grips too. Gonna pick it up next week!
Old April 21, 2018, 06:24 PM   #8
JERRYS.

i have a P220 Elite DAO, old school gun without a light rail.... it is a great single stack .45 acp.

watch the grip thing, not all grips are created equal for this gun. http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/S...n%20Stocks.htm
Old April 21, 2018, 06:35 PM   #9
Steve in PA

I love my P220’s. I own two; blued for duty and two-tone for practice, range and training use. In fact, I was shooting it today at the range with my wife.

My P220’s are the older, internal extractor style, but they have been flawless. Magazines aren’t cheap, but I was lucky to acquire about 20 of the 8-round magazines before the price started to go up!

The only issue with the older, internal extractor handguns, is finding replacement extractors. Sig no longer makes them. I do have some spares, but unless Sig or someone else starts making that part, it looks like I’m going to have to buy newer models!
Old April 21, 2018, 06:58 PM   #10
propforce

Has anyone tried the new 10 rounds magazine for P220? How much does it sticks out compared to the 8-rounds magazine?
Old April 22, 2018, 09:15 PM   #11
5whiskey

I will add that a stamped slide German made P220 was my first duty pistol. I was pissed when the option for me to buy it from the pd fell through (pretty sure it was the firearms coordinators fault). At any rate a p220 is a good pistol. Pretty good da/Sa trigger... The DA is great out of the box, the SA better than average. Despite my fandom, I have been much more accurate with other pistols. It is not the da/Sa platform... That is actually my preferred action for carry. I just wasn't as good with it as with my CZ or 1911.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 23, 2018, 06:35 PM   #12
bamaranger

issued same

I walked beside a P220 for about 20 years, first with the 7+1 mag, then the 8+1 Mec Gars. About the last 5 years, the pistol had a short reset trigger installed.

Stone cold reliable, although some of the early 7+1 blue steel mags went south after much use. For me the P220 had that mysteriously accurate quality. I made shots and time frames that I felt were beyond my ability, the gun just seemed to do it.

I will add though, that once I retired, I stopped shooting the P220 very much. Once during an ammo crunch, I did not have 9mm ammo for the G34 and shot a match with my personally owned P220. The DA/SA trigger pull gave me fits. The first shot seemed slow, the second, I often hammered the trigger. Clearly, I was out of practice with the system. It was me, not the gun....but my point is, the DA/SA system is demanding if one wants to shoot it well.
Old April 23, 2018, 09:01 PM   #13
5whiskey

Quote:
the DA/SA system is demanding if one wants to shoot it well.
I will agree with this for many people. I learned to shoot pistols in the Marine Corps with an M9 Beretta, so I kind of "grew up" with the platform. Never bothered me, and despite having pistols in the superior "striker" category, I must say I can shoot my CZ P07 much better than a Glock. I did briefly get away from the DA/SA world for SAO ala 1911 for a couple of years before I became a cop. Going back to it was a little adjustment, but nothing that a couple weeks and a few range sessions didn't fix.

I don't know why I simply wasn't as good with the Sig. I can't explain it. I know it's not the pistol, as it is quite capable of wonderful accuracy. I just seemed to shoot 15 or 20 rounds in one ragged hole with it at 7-10 yards, but somehow out of that 15 or 20 one would fly... but I mean it would fly way out into the 7 ring. I still always scored 99% or so on average with it... so I guess "not as good with it" is relevant. But I would score 100 on firearms qualification every time, all day, every day with a CZ or 1911. Or even a Glock most days

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 24, 2018, 02:08 AM   #14
ma96782

Me....I like my 1911s better. Or my P228s, P226 or P229.

BTW.....I still own my W. German Sig 220 in nickle. And, my son still own's his P220. Though I don't know how he can say that it fits his smallish hands. Oh well....whatever.

Aloha, Mark
Old April 24, 2018, 12:28 PM   #15
JDBerg

I felt that I could shoot my Gen4 Glock 21 & my HK45 better than the newer P220 I once had, but I’m starting to get the urge for an older German P220. I like to think that I could be able to shoot one of these pretty well once I start practicing with it.
Old April 24, 2018, 01:34 PM   #16
Hammerhead

I liked my P220 stainless, very accurate, great ergo's, but I had trouble getting SWC's to feed 100%. With all other ammo it was 100%.
Old April 24, 2018, 03:52 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

I bought a Browning BDA 45 (the original P220 design, heel clip magazine release) in 1980. I'm not a cop, don't carry a "duty" handgun, and don't shoot thousands of rounds through it per year. To date, I haven't needed to buy another.

It has had several thousand rounds through it, over the years (I never kept count) but its far from worn out, in fact there is very little visible wear at all, other than the barrel bluing, which happened very early on (within the first year) and is entirely cosmetic (and only seen with the slide locked back )

Mine has been very reliable, accurate for a tilt barrel duty class gun, and feeds everything. (though I will admit I've never tried to feed empty cases..) It handles loads that crater primers in 1911a1s, without any pressure signs, and also cycles with light loads that my 1911s won't. Might just be my gun, your's might not be the same, but I would expect it to be close...

I'm very fond of mine, can't imagine anyone having one and not liking it...but I'm sure there are some...
Old April 25, 2018, 03:23 PM   #18
223 shooter

Owned one of the German made P220s bought new around the 1995 time frame. An extremely accurate out of the box pistol. Accurate with reloads , factory ammo , jacketed bullets or lead bullets - it fed and fired them all with a high degree of accuracy. Very good trigger.

The only drawback for me was the fact that the 220 simply was not the best fit for my hand. Adding the Hogue grips helped. If the P220 fit my hand as well as my newer P226 I would probably still have it.
Old April 25, 2018, 04:40 PM   #19
Dave P

I vote for thin grips -- factory ones feel really fat.