The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 27, 2016, 10:28 PM   #1
RoyalWe

Very new to hunting deer and other woodland game

Hello all,
Here's the deal, I was raised in the suburbs and was never taken hunting as a child as thusly I never really learned how. In my recent years I've tried to learn what I can, but hunter Ed class was really just a safety and regulations course, and articles online aren't much help as they are for a broad audience. I've gone out a few times by myself and with some experienced friends, however have never had a successful hunt really. I know plenty enough about gear, that's not the issue I'm asking about. What I really want to learn is more about land/spots. How do you tell if somewhere is public or private if it's unmarked and there are no visible building? Are most farm owners welcoming to people hunting their land? What's the best way to go about asking their permission? I feel I'd be upset with a stranger knocking on the door at random to ask to use my propert if I owned any. Also if I do find a spot where I can legally hunt, how do I tell if it's any good, that is to say if it's frequented by game? If it is, where do I put a blind or stand? I know there's no way to really answer all these questions perfectly or even at all, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can before this years season!
Old January 28, 2016, 01:31 AM   #2
alex0535

I would say most farm owners would consider you hunting their land without asking to be poaching. All the farmers I know eat the deer from their property. These folks might let you if you asked, some of them would tell you "kill every deer on my place you see".

It used to be like that down here, where if it wasn't posted it was huntable, but that was a different time.

Public land boundaries can be found on maps, both paper and digital. Some GPS units have public land boundaries. Also know that public land hunting laws can vary significantly based on their designation and even more specifically by county in places, it's very important to know where you are and what the rules are for that area.

For instance in some areas of my state it's not really clear if I'm in state or national forest and whether the area is a wildlife management area that has its own separate rules. Shooting an animal in the wrong part of the forest would be illegal.

As for finding animals, look for what they will be eating during the season. Deer are predicable and will go where the food is. They are also creatures of habit, go scout for signs of your prey before the season opens. Find a good spot that your sure is on public land, preferably above where your parked where there is early season food for them, scout places to put a standslowblind. Clean out any shooting lanes the best you can without cutting down live trees. Get in there as long before the sun comes up as you can, move slow to the stand especially if there's enough light to shoot already. I've spooked more deer on the way in than I like to admit for being in a hurry to get there.

Last edited by alex0535; January 28, 2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old January 28, 2016, 10:50 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The more time you can spend out in the boonies, the more you can learn. Public lands are open to everybody. Even city/county parks can let you learn about smaller critters.

A couple of main points: First, animals quickly spot motion, so you have to learn to imitate a stump or large rock. When sitting, move your head very slowly as you scan an area. And best is to sit in the shade if possible so that your face doesn't shine and be noticeable as a strange thing in Bambi's world.

Next is sound when moving. Quieter is better, so learn how to walk. Animals don't march. They move a few steps, pause, move on. Don't march; don't be in a hurry.

I've found that in sneaky-snaking through forest or brush, look down briefly for where your next two to four steps should be. Take those steps while scanning; pause, look, repeat. This lets you avoid breaking sticks or stumbling on rolling rocks.

Generally, you'll have more luck when looking upwind or crosswind. Anything downwind will smell you and remain hidden.

First light to an hour after sunup and evenings in the last hour before sundown are the times you'll most likely see critters moving. Mid-day, you might jump sleeping animals, but you often need to be really close for that to happen.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:04 AM   #4
buck460XVR

Look at getting a Plat book. Most are sold by county and not only tell you what land is private or public, but they tell you who is the owner of the private land. Many states have pages on their web sites showing hunting land open to the public and there are other publications and websites showing private vs public land. Here is one......http://www.oregonwild.org/oregon-public-lands-map

As for hunting, experience is your best bet, along with experienced friends. Even the best of hunters do not succeed every time. Most of us come home empty handed more than we come home with our limit. Keeping a journal will help you remember conditions and areas where and when you had success. Get to know the woods as well as your know your quarry.....and enjoy the experience. Altho it can be frustrating on those days when you work hard and see nothing, remenber, you still have had the opportunity to spend time in the woods and learn.
Old January 28, 2016, 01:47 PM   #5
Buzzcook

Last time I was in Oregon I went to Ashland. There's a monument a few miles out of town that had tons of deer sign and I spotted a few does.

So there are deer in Oregon.
http://www.oregonhuntingmap.com/
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/Resources...nits/index.asp
Closer to Eugene you have the Siuslaw National Forest to the West and the Willamette NF to your East. Pick a direction, I'd opt for West because you're more likely to have year round access.

Once you've picked a spot go out asap and drive around the logging roads and back roads till you find a place that is relatively secluded and relatively walkable. Then take a compass and map about a two or three mile area.
Walk the land till you are comfortable. This will take a few visits.

Then go back on a regular basis just before dawn and, being very very quiet, sit on a log. Do that in various areas of your mapped plot.
The odds are very good that you'll see deer and learn their habits and you'll have a side benefit of just being in the woods.

If you start now, by the time hunting season comes around you should have a chance at a deer.

I really recommend a good orange rain poncho.
Old January 28, 2016, 02:32 PM   #6
RoyalWe

Thanks for resources

These map sites are a big help! I notice that a lot of the land in Oregon is BLM land, are you allowed to hunt that? I keep hearing in the news people are having stand odds with the BLM, but frankly I have no idea what they do. It's a government agency, so it can't be private land but can it still be closed to hunting like a wildlife refuge?
Old January 28, 2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Ricklin

The real thing that is special about Oregon is the way that Elk can change their sub-species. All they have to do is take a short walk.

The state has deemed that all Elk West of highway 97 are Roosevelt's Elk and all Elk East of highway 97 are Rocky Mountain Elk.

Have not hunted elk in Oregon for years, but pretty certain that's still the way the law reads.
Old January 28, 2016, 04:13 PM   #8
jmr40

You can buy an SD card to put in a GPS for most of the western states that will clearly show public and private land. I've used one in the past hunting in NM. I'll buy one before going back to Colorado.
Old January 28, 2016, 04:17 PM   #9
Doyle

What is the available small game in your area? Squirrels? Rabbits? Almost everything you need to learn about hunting big game can be learned by hunting small game at a fraction of the price.
Old January 28, 2016, 04:21 PM   #10
Tawaliga

Check your county tax assessors website. If you have a physical address of the property you should be able to find the landowner's name/mailing address and you can send them a letter and put the ball in their court. (I would recommend this instead of knocking on their door...). Most will not answer, some will call or write you back and say "we hunt here", and every once in awhile you just might get permission. It's a numbers game. Some counties may even have a "search by map" feature which is even better.
Old January 28, 2016, 05:14 PM   #11
Blindstitch

There are lots of places with maps for free or pay. Libraries have a lot of free resources.

Beyond that there are lots of different types of hunters. Some sit in blinds and wait and others stalk. Both types are successful in the right places. If you want to learn something or practice in the off season try photography. The reason I say that is you can't just run as fast as possible up to an animal and take it's picture in the wild. This will teach you how to be quieter, more cautious and how to understand the actions of animals.

Don't forget other animals besides big game. Squirrels, upland game and other small game animals are great to hunt and can teach you a thing or two.
Old January 28, 2016, 11:15 PM   #12
RoyalWe

Small game & birds

There are plenty of private lands that are set up through fish and wildlife to be open to public hunting in the off season nearby, except these are mostly only for hunting fowl. I like waterfowl hunting, but the skills don't really bleed over. Different environments. There are certainly a lot of squirrels in the area, I see at least 4 daily in my yard (too bad I'm in city limits, can't fire a gun and can't hunt with an air gun in Oregon). I want to go out and bag a few while scouting spots, if I'm lucky!
Old January 29, 2016, 12:01 AM   #13
Pathfinder45

I also live in Oregon. A lot of the deer tags, that is, all of the deer rifle tags east of the Cascade crest are awarded by lottery only. However, you can buy Western Oregon deer tags on demand right up to the day before the season opens. If I were you, I would get an official Willamette National Forest map and start exploring all spring and summer with a backpack and fishing rod to get a feel for the region. You can hunt on National Forest lands and Bureau of Land Management lands without permission, but the regulations apply. Hunting is not allowed on National Park lands, like, within the park boundary of, say, Crater Lake National Park. Yet, right over the boundary, in Sky Lakes Wilderness, and the bordering National Forests, it's OK. The regulations are more complicated now than they were 40 years ago. You pretty much need to keep a copy of the regulations handy at all times and read them in relation to where you are at any given moment. You could think you're all legal; and you were! But the instant you step over the Pacific Crest Trail or even an unmarked county line your tag may be invalid. It's pretty easy to be in unintentional violation. Don't be discouraged, though, there's a lot of public land in Oregon that is open to hunting.
Old January 29, 2016, 12:32 AM   #14
MurBob

Quote:
How do you tell if somewhere is public or private if it's unmarked and there are no visible building?
That's a tough one and will vary from situation to situation... when in doubt, stay the heck out.

Quote:
Are most farm owners welcoming to people hunting their land? What's the best way to go about asking their permission? I feel I'd be upset with a stranger knocking on the door at random to ask to use my propert if I owned any.
I can only tell you what my experience has been. My wife and I used to drive about 9 hours north to the upper peninsula of Michigan were we'd camp in a tent and hunt on property owned by the Mead Paper Corp.. (they allowed hunters). Mead was considered public hunting grounds so it was rich with other hunters. One day we were driving down a back country road and saw a field with about 100 deer in it.. We drove to the closest farm house and I sent my wife to the front door to get more information. The middle aged guy who answered the door turned out to be the farmer who owned the field and pretty much everything else on both sides of the road for as far as you could see. I offered him the back straps off any kill I made or a case of beer if I didn't get anything. We've been friends for over 15 years now. When I used to go there every year, he would shut down the back 800 acres, move all the cows up front, and close the gates to the private road.

Presentation is important, introduce yourself with your full name and the city you live in, don't ask to hunt for free. Once you get onto the property, never leave any trace you were there, always put his needs over yours, even if it ruins your hunt.
Old January 29, 2016, 04:58 AM   #15
Gunplummer

I agree with Doyle. If you have squirrels in the area, start with them. I saw no end to all kinds of wildlife when squirrel hunting as a kid.
Old January 29, 2016, 11:22 PM   #16
Buzzcook

Quote:
I notice that a lot of the land in Oregon is BLM land, are you allowed to hunt that?
Generally you can, but some BLM land is restricted. So check with the BLM or Oregon's fish and game folks.
Old January 30, 2016, 09:46 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Much information is available from USGS topographic maps; hard copies are 7-1/2 Minute quadrangles.

Dunno about other areas, but Thomas County, Georgia, has a county map online which shows the ownership and contact information for every rural tract of land. Worth trying for your area.
Old January 30, 2016, 02:42 PM   #18
Erno86

You can offer the farm owner to do chores around the house...like chopping firewood, or buy him a rifle and give it to him as a gift.

--- George Orwell
Old January 31, 2016, 09:04 AM   #19
Mobuck

Most landowners are far more aware of liability issues than in years past. This may limit accessibility for very logical reasons.
In addition, if a parcel of land has good hunting opportunities the landowner has probably been plagued by "door knockers" for years OR the land belongs to hunters who don't care to share with a stranger.
My suggestion is: look at public land to get some experience and/or develop a relationship with an experienced hunter who can provide advice on locales that are favorable to allowing hunting access.
50 years ago: I could hunt any land I could walk to
40 years ago: I could hunt almost any land within 10 miles by simply giving my name and asking.
30 years ago: I hunted coyotes on 400 square miles of land with only a few restrictions
20 years ago: out of state farmers bought up large tracts of land and denied access
10 years ago: city folks started buying land for recreation and denied access
last week: I had to call the city guy who bought the 80 acres across the creek before following a crippled coyote onto his property
Old January 31, 2016, 12:15 PM   #20
MurBob

Quote:
Most landowners are far more aware of liability issues than in years past. This may limit accessibility for very logical reasons.
I'm not sure if this is federal law or just my state of Michigan, but we have laws that protect land owners from law suits regarding liability when they allow people to hunt.
Old January 31, 2016, 01:11 PM   #21
Gunplummer

Pretty sure it is a state law. PA passed the same thing recently.
Old January 31, 2016, 04:23 PM   #22
alex0535

If it's a liability issue consider writing a letter including this liability waiver that prevents a landowner from being responsible for me hurting myself, others, or damaging property.

http://www.americanhunter.org/articl...y-on-the-spot/

In your neck of the woods you might also consider finding someone to teach you the wild mushrooms, animals love them every bit as much as people. Find the food sources, and the ability to find tasty things off season can make for scouting trips that still put food on the table.

Tags
deer , hunting game , land , oregon , woods