The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 17, 2018, 06:33 PM   #26
dahermit

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with MIM parts. Ruger's whole business is based on investment casting.
MIM and investment cast are two entirely different things. That is not to say I have anything against either process.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:14 PM   #27
dgludwig

I think you need to spend a certain amount of money ($1,500.00 or so, imo, based on my experience, and probably a lot less) to get what I consider to be the best of the three basic requirements I want in a 1911 pistol: accuracy, reliability and durability. Spending much more gives you a nicer finish and better materials (forged vs cast frames; machined vs mim parts, etc.) perhaps, and maybe a tighter fit; all of which can offer pride of ownership and the appreciation of refinement and "elegance" but none of which necessarily provides better accuracy, reliability or durability.

I have nothing against paying more for any firearm for aesthetic reasons and have done so myself on more than one occasion but, after a certain price point, the "basics" will already have been met.
Old June 17, 2018, 07:15 PM   #28
MoArk Willy

The biggest difference is what you are wanting to spend.
Old June 18, 2018, 01:22 PM   #29
5whiskey

So I have a champagne taste, but a beer budget when it comes to these things. The cheap Philippine 1911's are pretty reliable, accurate, and will last a lifetime at under $500. With that being said, when you hold one you realize it's crude compared to what it "could" be. I have a RIA that is a great firearm. After a couple thousand rounds I've had no failures (other than with a bad mag, feed lips were cracked) and can consistently shoot 4" groups at 25 yards with it (unsupported). I've had a Colt before, but had to sell it when I made a career change years ago. Always wanted to get another, but haven't been able to yet. I also have a fair amount of range time on a Kimber Custom II and a Pro Carry, and I frequently fondle a co-worker's Les Baer Custom Carry.

So my cheap RIA goes bang every time, shoots accurately, and will likely last a lifetime. Why would I want anything else for more money? Well, there is something to be said for fit and finish. The grips, for example, are non-standard and I suspect if you take the wood grips off of 100 Rock Islands you will see some pairs with extremely different dimensions. Also it is not exactly "mil-spec" or true to the original 1911 design. Place a set of Colt grips on a Colt, and they fit very well to the frame. Put them on the RIA (if you can get them on over the plunger tube) and you will see that they do not fit well. Put a set of RIA grips on a Colt and you may see a small portion of the mag as the grip doesn't cover up the cutouts in the frame completely. Machine marks about on the little RIA. And these problems are inherent in the "cheap" 1911s, but even the Colts and Rugers are not perfect in fit and finish. A Les Baer? It's hard to find a machine mark inside the slide, frame, or anywhere. Everything "falls" into place upon reassembly, where as a lesser gun it seems like the bushing sometimes binds and I have to fight it. These differences may not mean anything to you. They don't mean enough to me to drop 2k plus on a pistol... right now while I have mouths to feed. When I'm old and retired? Who knows. But I do understand the difference.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old June 18, 2018, 01:55 PM   #30
RickB

Yeah, my Hyundai drives great, why would I want a Ferrari?
Old June 18, 2018, 02:43 PM   #31
mk70ss

Quote: “Yeah, my Hyundai drives great, why would I want a Ferrari”

All in what you want. A Ferrari is more fun, handles better, brakes better, looks far better, goes faster, and is far higher quality.
Old June 18, 2018, 02:57 PM   #32
Fishbed77

Quote:
A Ferrari is more fun, handles better, brakes better, looks far better, goes faster, and is far higher quality.
You had me until the higher quality bit. That lowly Hyundai will take far more abuse than any Ferrari, and doesn't require a $7500 engine-out major service every 3-5 years (depending on model).

Still, life is too short to only drive boring cars or shoot boring guns.
Old June 18, 2018, 05:14 PM   #33
KyJim

Why do some people want a Timex and others a Rolex? I own a variety of 1911s from a Norinco on up to semi-custom models. They're all fun, but can I tell the difference when I shoot one? You bet! The better models have lighter triggers that break like glass and feel slick as snot when they cycle. I'm not a crack shot but I can shoot better with a Brown or Nighthawk than I can with my Norinco or even with my Colts.

Maybe it's all psychological --- if you think you can shoot better with a certain gun, you will shoot better. All I know is what works for me. Now, is it worth the extra money? Performance-wise, I would say objectively not, at least after you get past the mid-level 1911s. Still, I love them all.
Old June 18, 2018, 05:39 PM   #34
44caliberkid

Just last Friday I took a Norinco (Chinease) 1911, stock except for high vis adjustable sights and some pretty wood, and a newer Colt Gold Cup to the range. 14 shots each, same ammo, from 25 yards. Both groups were absolutely identical.
I got the Norinco back in the early 90's. A friend and fellow bullseye shooter custom ordered a new target 1911 pistol from Springfield Armory at double the price of the Norinco. In side to side comparison they shot equally. He sent his pistol back to Springfield.
Old June 18, 2018, 05:57 PM   #35
laytonj1

sigh, never mind.

Last edited by laytonj1; June 18, 2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old July 14, 2018, 11:42 PM   #36
Beagle333

That's a great question, Dahermit. I have asked that of other 1911 owners for a while now. I have two Colts (about $900 each) and I always wonder what makes people want to spend twice or four times that, when they aren't killing my scores at the range. But I guess if you are good with your gun and you want to wring all of the accuracy out of one that you can, you want to erase all of the other variables besides the shooter, if you can. I doubt I'll drop the coin on any that are more expensive than my Colts, but I do now understand why people do it.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old July 15, 2018, 08:53 AM   #37
pete2

On the other hand, My favorite shooter as of today is a Ruger CMD even tho I own Colts, Kimber, a Clark built bullseye gun. I recently bought a Dan Wesson Valkyrie that may take the Ruger's place but that remains to be seen. My pay grade won't allow Wilson, Baer or Ed Brown stuff or that's what I'd own. Don't automatically rule out the less expensive gun as a shooter even tho it ain't near the quality of the Cadillac guns. I also have a Python but I'd rather shoot an old 586.
Old July 15, 2018, 11:16 AM   #38
Bottom Gun

One reason to consider a high end pistol is consistency. You can expect a well made pistol to be consistently accurate and reliable. This is not to say that you won’t find a less expensive brand to shoot as accurately as a high end brand but it may be a rarity.
I didn’t think there could be so much difference in 1911 pistols until I bought my first Les Baer, then a Wilson Combat and an Ed Brown. . . . . . . I’m now a firm believer in high quality 1911s. They are simply more fun to shoot.
The same holds true for any high quality firearm. I used to think my Remington, Winchester and Browning rifles were the cat’s meow until I bought a few Sako and Anschutz sporters. Now I rarely shoot anything but those rifles. Again, they are more fun to shoot because they are more accurate and they feel better.
High end firearms kept in good condition also tend to appreciate more and hold their value better than run of the mill firearms. They can be similar to collectible coins in that respect.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old July 26, 2018, 10:11 PM   #39
Martowski

What Bottom Gun said above.

I own about six 1911s right now, and have owned many others. My low end is a Ruger SR1911 and an older Kimber Classic Custom Target. High end is a Les Baer Premier II, S&W Performance Center, and a couple Dan Wessons.

There is a definite diference between a $1,700 1911 and a $700 one. The difference, as pointed out above, is consistency. Consistency of fit, of parts quality, of etc. Can you get a $700 gun that shoots lights out? Yes. But they won't all do that consistently.

Now, I'm talking about negligable differences and in the hands of most people they won't notice. Frankly, most shooters can't maximize the accuracy potential of a standard grade 1911 anyway. While I do believe the law of diminishing returns starts kicking in hard above the $2,000 mark, Dan Wessons in my mind occupy the best value for the money when it comes to mid-grade 1911s.

Don't let anyone disparage your $700 gun... you likely have a fine shooter. But, don't think it's the equivalent of a DW, Les Baer, or Ed Brown because frankly it's not. I'm not being a gun snob here, but speaking the truth. Just like a Ford Fusion and a Mercedes will get you down the same road, all grades of 1911s will put bullets on paper. But, one will do it consistenly better than the other. A stock Glock will put bullets on paper as well as many $700 1911s in the hands of most shooters.
Old August 1, 2018, 06:47 PM   #40
the45er

I own six 1911's. None of them would be considered high end in terms of all the customization that can be done to them. However, they shoot better than I can. I've shot some high end 1911's and they're nice, but at 3 to 4 times the cost of my "ordinary" ones, no thanks!
Old August 2, 2018, 06:49 PM   #41
Auto5

Fit and finish, trigger, probably accuracy as well, but there is nothing wrong with a "budget" 1911 that performs reliably and delivers practical accuracy. I have an RIA Tactical that I wouldn't hesitate to grab if something went bump in the night.
Old August 3, 2018, 05:49 AM   #42
Z400ACDC

Difference between function and reliability, not much! Difference in pride of ownership, a great deal!