The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 8, 2017, 03:15 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

AR-10 suggestions

Tax season is around the corner! Which means my time of the year to get a new toy :-) I'm looking to get an AR platform chambered in .308. Top of my list right now is the S&W M&P10. I'm just looking to see if there are other good suggestions out there that I'm not thinking of. I like building ARs too, so if you know of good uppers and other parts, that'd be appreciated too. Here are my few specifications:

-Under $1500 (not including optics/accessories)
-Barrel 18" or longer
-Somewhat lightweight. No more than 11lbs empty.

The intended purpose is hunting med-large game and hitting metal gongs at ranges from 100-700 yards. I probably won't be shooting at game past 300 yards, but will be shooting at the metal plates long past that. Since I'll be hunting with it, I will be carrying it around, but not super far from the vehicle (hence the weight specification).

As for caliber, I'm sticking with .308 because I already have plenty of .308 ammo. At the moment, I don't want to get a new caliber and start building a new stock of ammo. Further down the road, I do plan on getting a 6.5 Creed bolt gun.

And for those wondering why I'm not looking at a bolt gun since it would meet my intended purposes, I just would like to have an AR in .308...no reason, just a want.
Old December 8, 2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Dufus

I am not all that into them, but nephew has a DPMS that is a good shooter.

He killed two 7 pointers with it Saturday after Thanksgiving. One at 07:00 and the other late afternoon.
Old December 8, 2017, 08:39 PM   #3
navajo

I can only recommend Armalite, owned 6 of them and still have one. Can't comment on the others.
Old December 8, 2017, 10:15 PM   #4
shootbrownelk

I have a DPMS AR-10 in .308. It's a good shooter.
Old December 8, 2017, 10:40 PM   #5
ed308

I've got a Aero AR10 in 6.5 CM with a 22" barrel and rifle gas. Excellent quality and soft shooting. I also have a 16" Bushmaster AR10 with mid gas. It's a beast to shoot. Safe Queen for that reason. I like the recoil on the 6.5 CM better than .308.
Old December 9, 2017, 07:25 AM   #6
wayne in boca

I have a S&W M&P10,and like it a lot.Feels like an AR15,but has a lot more juice.
Old December 9, 2017, 07:56 AM   #7
Mobuck

I bought a PSA in early November. 18" mid-length gas plain jane version. Haven't shot it yet but appearance is acceptable, trigger is typical GI, stock is middle of the road, all the parts move like they should. I don't expect this to be a "tack driver" as I already have a whole rack of those, just wanted to say I had one and maybe use it to knock off a deer now and then.
$299+$159+$6.67(1/3 of the $20 transfer fee since I bought 3 lowers at one time) =$464.67 (shipping was free) for the AR10 package. In addition, I'm into magazines and a trigger upgrade to the tune of approx $150 at this point. Actually, the trigger is a take-out from an AR 15 upgrade so maybe I shouldn't count that.
Old December 9, 2017, 06:14 PM   #8
stagpanther

An AR 10 platform in my mind really consists of two categories--the longer barreled high BC calibers going out to 1000 yd plus--and the shorter carbine styles designed to do what a conventional AR 15 does--but with a whole lot more wallop. My long range builds are all in the $1500 range--but I recently bought PSA's budget 16" 308 carbine upper for around $240--it did not seem to like playing with other manufacturer's lowers. Fortunately, for the past week, PSA has had their PA10 EPT MOE complete lower frequently available for $179. With only a $20 upgrade in springs and adjuster the trigger can be made into a superb group. This rig including scope comes it at around 9 lbs--which makes it a certifiable reasonable woods carry and standing free-hand shooter in my book. The only thing I notice about the recoil over an AR15 is that it might take a second or so longer to get back on target. Excluding the scope--the complete carbine came in under $500. I'm not a PSA fan-boy in general, and this isn't a gun to obsess about sub .5 MOA groupings--but this is an awesome general-purpose carbine set-up for the money IMHO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171209_175341_HDR.jpg (104.1 KB, 572 views)
Old December 10, 2017, 05:36 AM   #9
shaunpain

If you're interested in assembling your own rifle, the Aero M5 receivers are hard to beat. Stick with their LPK to ensure compatibility and everything else is DPMS pattern (upper is high tang). I have an 18" with an MI SS series rail so it's as slim as I can get it. With optic and bipod, light it isn't.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old December 10, 2017, 06:56 AM   #10
stagpanther

Aero's stuff is a great value--but no matter what they say about compatibility--in the 308 platform I would STRONGLY advise using only matched Aero upper to their lowers, using other manufacturer's uppers with Aero lowers is an invitation to go down the rabbit hole.
Old December 10, 2017, 05:12 PM   #11
ed308

Did you find your way out of that rabbit hole with your build?
Old December 10, 2017, 06:21 PM   #12
THE

My only experience is with the DPMS LR 308 . Never had any trouble with it.
I did put in a JP trigger as the stock trigger was kind of heavy and gritty.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:51 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Did you find your way out of that rabbit hole with your build?
The one (actually I've used two aero lowers on 308 builds) using the aero lower? I eventually had to do some selective grinding and polishing--while building up other surfaces. The buffer tube collar is generally too high to allow the charge handle pass over it easily, but even after I ground it down the rear pivot pin still wouldn't line up without the rear of the receiver "being jacked up" (that would explain the extra screw hole they machine into the lower aft of the safety selector I guess). Haven't put enough rounds through the gun to declare "problem solved."
Old December 11, 2017, 08:48 PM   #14
john in jax

I have owned a few of the DPMS (Gen 1) LR-308s and they have always been fantastic. Right now I am shopping for trying to go back to the 24" fluted stainless bull bbl.
Old December 12, 2017, 06:49 PM   #15
stagpanther

PSA still has their PA10 EPT MOE lower with overmolded grip on sale for $179--for the quality that's a killer deal. I bought two and switched out my aero lowers that were perpetual PITA's.
Old December 13, 2017, 05:53 PM   #16
hdwhit

I went to high school with a guy who fell in love with the AR10. He just became obsessed with it. He tried assembling one out of parts but it was never quite right. That just caused him to dedicate himself to doing them right.

He now lives off-the-grid at the end of a dirt road somewhere in northern Arkansas. He builds maybe a dozen AR10s each year and they are true works of art. He's not on the internet, he doesn't even have a phone number; you have to go visit him in person and convince him you are a suitable owner for one of his creations.

Also, he doesn't take money - it's all barter - so take something that will catch the attention of a true "gun nut". I don't have one of his rifles because I don't really care for the AR10 and the last time I saw him, I didn't eight goats to trade.

Or, you could just follow your first instinct and get a S&W M&P-10.
Old December 15, 2017, 09:34 AM   #17
TrueBlue711

Anybody have experience with the Savage MSR 10? When I think Savage, I think of their bolt guns. I'm wondering how their entry into the AR world is. The MSRP isn't much different than the M&P10 either.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:19 AM   #18
smee78

When I wanted an AR-10 I went with PSA, got a blem lower and a build kit with a 20 inch barrel and rifle length gas system. Once I got my scope dialed in I found out it loves a Federal gold match with 168grn bthp. The gun was shooting right at 1/2 moa with me shooting it at around 150yards, the only thing I changed out of the kit was I used a Ruger 2 stage trigger I had bought but had not tried out yet. I have been super happy with this gun so far, no complaints. Good luck with your decision.
Old December 19, 2017, 03:18 PM   #19
jugornot

I got a DPMS Gen2. When I got the rifle it was extruding primers into the firing pin channel far enough so they wouldn't even go in a shell holder. I sent it in to repair. Before I did I checked headspace and the rifle closed on the nogo gauge. There were other problems like the dual ejectors imprinting on the case head and extractor damage on the rim. When I got the rifle back from repair, they included that they replaced the bolt and the Black Hills Ammo I was using had to soft of primers. I added a adjustable gas block and a RRA varrmint 2 stage trigger. The rifle still closes on the nogo gauge. But the primers are only slightly (very slightly) cratered. I now have a rifle with less than 300 rounds through it that fails the headspace check. I understand it might pass the feild gauge check, but I understood this was for in service rifles that had worn and before they were scrapped. My brass can grow .007" to .009" and is stressing my brass pretty badly. And finally the fit is loose if I am generous in the description.

I can hardly recommend DPMS or Remington after my experience.

I do have a RRA LAR-15 that I can wholeheartedly endorse. I consider it a less than 1 MOA rifle.
Old December 19, 2017, 05:18 PM   #20
Reloadron

Quote:
-Under $1500 (not including optics/accessories)
-Barrel 18" or longer
-Somewhat lightweight. No more than 11lbs empty.
With that in mind I would likely go with the S&W. The majority of reads on them has been very favorable. On the off chance there is a problem you have support.

Ron
Old December 25, 2017, 10:49 PM   #21
B Cuz

Windham has some good offerings with their lightest coming in at 7.5 lbs. Good company with a good reputation and good quality products.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/fire...caliber-rifle/
Old December 29, 2017, 09:13 PM   #22
Cavitation

Windham Weaponry is a fantastic company great service and warranty. I also give a nod to DPMS. I had a LR308 24inch SS that was dead nuts one ragged hole shooter with 44 grn varget and a Hornady 168grn Amax. PSA has also come along with a great budget 308,6.5C,7mm/08. I just ordered a 6,5 creedmoor upper for 499.99 free shipping. Adjustable gas block free float rail and ready to range. It has become just like the AR market so many good companies out there now and most having very good accuracy to boot from budget rifles. Modern machinery takes a lot gap out from top tier to budget.

AL
Old December 29, 2017, 09:20 PM   #23
Ruga Booga

I have a Dpms lr-308. Highly recommended and under $1000
Old December 29, 2017, 09:34 PM   #24
jimbob86

I put together a PSA Gen2 PA10 18" Midlength .308 WIN 1:10 Melonite 15" M-lok Upper - with BCG and CH -516445087 and a PSA GEN2 PA10 .308 Complete A2 EPT Rifle Lower with Overmolded Grip - 516446650 ..... for my daughter to hunt deer with .... seems to have worked- she poleaxed 2 bucks from 250+ yards.....

... the gun itself was under 600 (free shipping!) ... by the time I put glass and rings and couple of magazines..... I was out just over 800 bucks....

The "EPT" trigger is nice, for an AR ....
Old December 30, 2017, 09:31 AM   #25
tobnpr

My son's DPMS (heavy barrel LR-308) is incredibly accurate for the price...
True 3/4 minute rifle, often shooting 1/2 minute (with handloads of course).

Their Lite Hunter model tips the scales at just 8 lbs.- strong contender IMO.
www.biggorillagunworks.com