The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 1, 2017, 08:14 AM   #1
adamBomb

LTE Watch (AW3) and Pocket Carry/CCW

I've been thinking about picking up an apple watch 3 with cellular service to free up one of my pockets for CCW since I mostly pocket carry. Has anyone else been thinking about the advantages of having a free pocket because you have your cell on your wrist? Also, I was thinking about being able to call 911 hands free, etc.

The disadvantages appear to be battery life so long term like working a 12 hour day with just the watch won't really work...but in general day to day life like going to a store, this seems like it could be a great option.

Thoughts?
Old November 1, 2017, 08:21 AM   #2
stephen426

Just suck it up and get an Otter Box you can wear on your belt. I know it makes the phone a lot bulkier, but it also protects it from drops and splashes. What good is a backup communication device if you can't trust it to have juice when you need it?
Old November 1, 2017, 08:24 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen426
Just suck it up and get an Otter Box . . . .
That sounds good, but I can tell you that the belt clip for an Otter Box will not properly fit over a 1.5" Beltman belt. Belt's too thick for it.
Old November 1, 2017, 08:36 AM   #4
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
That sounds good, but I can tell you that the belt clip for an Otter Box will not properly fit over a 1.5" Beltman belt. Belt's too thick for it.
Okay... Let me qualify my statement then... If you don't wear a weight belt or full on duty belt , consider the Otter Box. I am still on the iPhone 6 and have dropped my phone plenty of times. I think the 6 Plus may be too big to belt carry so I stuck with the regular size. The phone draws the eye to that part of waist and helps conceal my knife which I waist band carry behind it. It also helps distract and break up the outline of my carry gun.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:24 PM   #5
K_Mac

Not a chance I would make do with a tiny screened watch/phone. I have two back pockets, one for my wallet and one for my phone. I have had the Otter Box and it is way too bulky for me.
Old November 4, 2017, 08:09 PM   #6
Front Sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
I've been thinking about picking up an apple watch 3 with cellular service to free up one of my pockets for CCW since I mostly pocket carry. Has anyone else been thinking about the advantages of having a free pocket because you have your cell on your wrist? Also, I was thinking about being able to call 911 hands free, etc.

The disadvantages appear to be battery life so long term like working a 12 hour day with just the watch won't really work...but in general day to day life like going to a store, this seems like it could be a great option.

Thoughts?
Apple Watch LTE is definitely an option for a quick trip to the store, as I have done exactly this. But as you said, it will not suffice for a full day.

But at least you can step out of the house and call 911, receive messages from the wife, and make calls if necessary.