The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 1, 2013, 11:39 AM   #1
chrisintexas

Buds lifetime warranty?

Would you get this warranty when buying a firearm? Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lifetime Warranties

We do everything we can to offer the absolute lowest prices on firearms by offering value added discounts like FREE shipping and cash discounts pricing. We also realize you deserve options, so we're now offering an optional LIFETIME WARRANTY for any new firearm purchased! Other retailers roll their costs into their prices while claiming a warranty is included, but we know our customer smarter than that ! If you want the absolute lowest prices on a new or used gun, choose BudsGunShop.com! With our new SUPPLEMENTAL LIFETIME WARRANTY, if your gun ever becomes defective for any reason beyond your control, we'll have it fixed for FREE, even after your manufacturer's warranty expires! If we can't fix it, then we'll replace it with a new one, for FREE! Heck, we'll even pay for the shipping, that's how much we stand behind our guns! The lowest prices in the business, free shipping, and now an optional SUPPLEMENTAL LIFETIME WARRANTY option for any new or used gun we sell.

Lifetime Warranty is nonrefundable and is eligible on new firearms only. Lifetime Warranty covers any defects NOT related to normal wear and tear of a firearm or negligence or misuse of a firearm. Warranty repairs can take up to 6 weeks, depending on the claim. BudsGunShop will cover any shipping costs related to a valid Lifetime Warranty claim. PLEASE NOTE: if a Lifetime Warranty claim is NOT valid, the customer may be liable for shipping costs. Please ensure a Lifetime Warranty claim is valid prior to submission. Lifetime Warranty is only valid for the original purchaser of a firearm and is nontransferable.)
Old October 1, 2013, 11:44 AM   #2
Psychedelic Bang

Well, you obviously would not purchase the warranty on guns that already have a lifetime warranty.

Than, you probably would not purchase the warranty on guns you deemed, "not expensive enough to need the warranty."

Than, you are probably going to spend money on an expensive gun, because the manufacturer has a reputation for outstanding quality; the type of quality that should negate the need for a lifetime warranty.
Old October 1, 2013, 11:56 AM   #3
chrisintexas

Thanks. What if the firearm they send me already has a mechanical defect?
What if it is already scratched, used? Has anyone encounter these situations when buying from Buds?
Old October 1, 2013, 04:01 PM   #4
Mr_Jumper

When ordering, there is a pop up window that states something like this:

Inspect your firearm before accepting the firearm from your FFL. If you refuse to accept for any reason (defect) FFL will return the firearm and Buds will uphold their return policy. Once you accept the firearm from your FFL, that no longer applies (unless you have one of their lifetime warranties).
Old October 1, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
gyvel

"Lifetime warranties" are only good for the life of the company.
Old October 1, 2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Beretta686

I've been shooting for over 20 years and I've rarely had a problem with a gun and the only things I've ever sent back to the manufacturer were .22LR conversion kits that I literally shot until they broke (which Tactical Solutions and Spikes Tactical both fixed free-of-charge).

If you buy a gun from a reputable company, Glock, Sig, Ruger, Colt, HK or whatever, they're typically going to stand behind it, unless you did something really boneheaded.

I'd say Bud's warranty is mostly a marketing gimmick to get them $$$, much like an extended warranty of your car. If it breaks, they'll probably just send it back to the manufacturer for their normal warranty anyways.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 1, 2013, 05:05 PM   #7
spanishjames

The price of the warranty would help. Is it a percentage of the purchase price? A flat fee? I'd buy a warranty if buying a gun which is no longer made, or difficult to work on myself.

500th post!
Old October 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Revoltella

Sounds like they are getting their guns from Davidsons (distributor). If you use Davidson's Gallery of Guns to order your gun, they all come with that warranty, regardless of the LGS you go through from their list. .

Davidsons is who's standing behind it, probably not Bud's.
Old October 1, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Buying a well made gun from a reputable company will generally negate the need for an extended warranty. Besides that, extended warranties generally only benefit the seller, not the buyer.

Hell, Ruger doesn't even offer a warranty on their guns and still stands behind them.

Now, off my rant, what is the cost?
Old October 1, 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
Revoltella

Quote:
Hell, Ruger doesn't even offer a warranty on their guns and still stands behind them.
That's not so much because of their faith in their guns. The Magnussen-Moss Act spells out specific responsibilities and duties a company must act on if they offer a written warranty. Many companies don't offer a written warranty, choosing instead to "self insure" that's it's cheaper to take care if a customers problem than to ruin their reputation. Especially in this Internet, social media world.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:17 PM   #11
oldgunsmith

We were doing factory authorized warranty repair for several manufacturers when that warranty act came down. All of a sudden nobody wanted to hear the word. They avoided it like the plague. It became "new gun repair program" or something like that. They couldn't use the "W" word any more, but other than that nothing really changed as far as we could tell.
Old October 1, 2013, 08:44 PM   #12
TXAZ

My son sold (among others) 3rd party lifetime warranties for another vendor: Über high margins, the T's & C's are seldom as good as what would be offered by a similar manufacturer, and the vast % of people forgot or lost the documentation, (as in thanks for paying, sorry no claim without original paperwork or registration) and *very* impressive commissions.

I don't fault anyone who offers any product to the public, if its a good deal, great if not don't buy it. Conversely, I've yet to see one of these that was a good, non-emotional risk.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 1, 2013, 10:03 PM   #13
Shadi Khalil

Taurus 617 x 1
Kimber Pro Carry × 2
Kimber Ultra x 2
Kahr CW9 x 1
Sig P239 x 1
S&W 637 x 2
Ruger MK3 x 1

Above is the list of guns and the number of times I've had to send them back to the factory for issues beyond my control. The 637 was replaced and then the replacement broke. S&W is now replacing the replacement with a 638. The only company that has ever made me come out of pocket was Taurus.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:32 AM   #14
Chinny33

if you bought a Taurus, I would get the warranty.

I doubt you would need one for a Glock

I sent 2 Mini-14s back to Davidsons because they would not group under 10" at 100yds. Hassle free process if your LGS is willing to play ball packaging it up for you.
Proverbs 27:12
Old October 2, 2013, 01:24 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

I must be the luckiest guy in the world. I've owned a lot of firearms - long guns and pistols - and I have never had any issues with any of them. Ruger, Colt, S & W, Bersa, Remington, Winchester, Henry, H & R, Heritage . . . etc. But, those that I know that have had problems . . . usually the company has taken care of them in regards to warranty work. I have also purchased a number of used handguns. Before I accept them, I look them over. That doesn't mean that something won't happen to them - but, I've been lucky

I guess its like any product you purchase . . . I love it when the retailer offer you the "extended warranty". To me, it's a money maker for them. As my Dad always said . . "Columbus took a chance".

If it gives you greater peace of mind, then maybe you'd better get it. But, if it's a good make with a good reputation for warranty if there's a problem, I'd personally pass it up. We live in a disposable society - if it was a cheap firearm - well, it's a roll of the dice as to just how long it's going to last. If it's a "lifetime warranty" on a used handgun - first, you have the right to inspect it and to refuse it. Beyond that - just whose "lifetime"? The seller/company (which can go out of business tomorrow), your lifetime or the lifetime of the item until it breaks? Sometimes those things are a little "cloudy".
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 3, 2013, 09:02 AM   #16
aarondhgraham

The warranty for a Heritage .22 revolver was only $8.35,,,

The warranty for a Heritage .22 revolver was only $8.35,,,

I purchased the warranty specifically for this benefit,,,
"BudsGunShop will cover any shipping costs related to a valid Lifetime Warranty claim."

It costs about $70.00 to ship a gun for warranty repair,,,
I thought this was a great deal.

One thing though,,,
The warranty is not transferable.

I bought the new Heritage revolver and the warranty as a gift for a young lady,,,
After I received it I was informed that the warranty was only valid for the original purchaser.

The people at Buds said I should have purchased a Gift Certificate,,,
Then let the young lady order the gun and warranty,,,
That way she would be the original purchaser,,,
And the warranty would be valid for her.

I spoke with several people at Buds,,,
They said there was no way they could transfer the warranty,,,
And there was no way she could purchase a warranty for a gun I purchased.

They did refund my money for the warranty,,,
But I'm bummed that I wasn't able to provide that warranty with the gift.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 4, 2013, 08:20 AM   #17
KyJim

Quote:
What if it is already scratched, used?
First, it does not appear to cover cosmetic issues:
Quote:
if your gun ever becomes defective for any reason beyond your control, we'll have it fixed for FREE
Second, I'm not sure if you're asking if it covers used guns. If so, the answer is no.
Quote:
Lifetime Warranty is nonrefundable and is eligible on new firearms only
I thiink even Hi-Points have a warranty or repair policy. Waste of money.
Old October 4, 2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Slamfire

Quote:
"Lifetime warranties" are only good for the life of the company.
True, as I have found out on a number of occasions.

My Montgomery Ward Refrigerator is getting long in the tooth, but since the demise of the company, the lifetime warranty is worthless.

The DMSI version of Montgomery Ward was not the same company as the original. The company did not honor obligations of the previous company, such as gift-cards and items sold with a lifetime guarantee. David Milgrom, then president of the firm, said in an interview with the Associated Press: "We're rebuilding the brand, and we want to do it right."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_Ward