The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 7, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1
san_chang4837

Good gun storage

Hi, I have been wanting to take up shooting for a while, and I have finally saved up some money. However, I seem to have come across another expense (in addition to training, the gun, earmuffs, etc.).

It seems like I would need a nice, strong safe to store my gun in, correct? I don't have a lot of money, but I don't want to cause an accident either. Is there any safes that anyone could recommend to me?

I have been looking, apparently some can be stuck in walls, or anchored to the floor, looks waaay beyond my purchasing ability.

Any web sites or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old March 7, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
san_chang4837

Oh yes, I only plan to purchase a .22 pistol for now. Can't afford anything else So I don't need a rifle cabinet
Old March 7, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
san_chang4837

erase?

Last edited by san_chang4837; March 7, 2006 at 11:58 PM. Reason: posted twice by accident
Old March 8, 2006, 12:12 AM   #4
BillCA

Okay, so you're going to shell out some amount of money, say between $200 and $300 for a .22 pistol. Now you want to store it where it will be secure.

Secure from what?
A) Children in the household or visiting the household
B) Roomies, girlfriends and other adult visitors
C) Burglaries and theft

Another consideration is where you live. Living in a moderate to high crime urban area requires better security. Likewise, living in a rural area might warrant extra security simply because BG's will have time to work.

At a moderate price are strong boxes that will secure your pistol in a steel box that can be bolted to the bedframe, wall, floor, shelf, etc. These have some kind of lock on them, be it a key lock, combination lock, push-button, etc. For an idea of what's out there, check out this page at Cheaper Than Dirt {dot} com.

Strong boxes will secure your gun against (A) and fairly well against (B).
For protection against (C) you'll need a real safe. Those who engage in burglary will sometimes spend a lot of destructive effort to get what they want.

Note: Once you buy your first gun, resist the temptation to show it off to people. You never know who may hear about it and decide to come for a visit.
Old March 8, 2006, 05:05 AM   #5
RERICK

Check out stack on cabinets I think you may find what your looking for.

http://www.stack-on.com/
Old March 8, 2006, 04:43 PM   #6
san_chang4837

Thanks for the info. Cheaper than dirt is great, I can't believe I never saw this site before.

Stack on has a lot of selection too. However, I can't seem to find the prices, but if my local gun dealer has it, I guess I can find out there.

There seems to be two in Miami, Jet Florida Outdoors and Charlie's Armory.

Thanks for the tips on the new gun. I'll keep them in mind. I live in a good neighborhood, but when a hurricane comes, burglars and looters show up.

Could I get any of this stuff at K-mart or Wal-mart? Just wondering.
Old March 8, 2006, 10:13 PM   #7
BillCA

Wal*Mart and K-Mart often sell Stack-on products.

I will, however, recommend against using Stack-On cabinets as protection against burglaries. I have a Stack-on steel gun cabinet (#3036 I think it is) which is a side-by-side full size unit. A break in resulted in them prying the door enough to finally snap off the locking mechanism and steal about a dozen handguns.

A better unit from Stack-On, if you only have handguns or smaller items, is their model PS-520 strong box with electronic lock. These can be had in several sizes and the 520 is the largest. The big one will hold about 7-8 handguns or a pair of guns and some valuables.

See: http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus...fes/index.html

What you want is something with inside hinges and a close-fitting door to prevent prying of the door. You might also consider purchasing one of the "Fire safe" type boxes meant to store documents and valuables against fire and theft. Just be sure it can be bolted down to keep them from walking off with it.