The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
BrassSlinger

Carry pistol without permit?

What are the penalties if you are caught carrying a pistol without a concealed carry permit? Some parts of town I would like to be able to carry a pistol but I don't like the idea of being taged, bagged, photographed and having blood samples taken in order to do something that should be a right. So if I decide to start carrying without a permit what kind of trouble would I be in if I get caught without a permit?

Thanks
Old March 2, 2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Inspector3711

That would depend on the state.. It can range from a misdemeanor to a felony. I wouldn't recommend it.

Alabama: Except as otherwise provided in this Code, a person who carries concealed about his person a bowie knife or knife or instrument of like kind or description or a pistol or firearm of any other kind or an air gun shall, on conviction, be fined not less than $50.00 nor more than $500.00, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for not more than six months.

Virginia: A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

Washington State: 2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor

Florida: 2) A person who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:48 PM   #3
chadwick76

brasslinger, where do you live? My state only wanted dna, ss# of my 1st born, title to my home, and length of my middle digit, wow your state is tough!!!!

Last edited by chadwick76; March 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:51 PM   #4
vitesse9

Are You Serious?

Hire a lawyer in your state to answer your question. Better yet, pay the fee, take the test, and get the permit. If you don't live in a state that will give you a permit, then move. Otherwise, obey the laws where you live. You make us all look bad with questions like this.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Webleymkv

I predict this thread will close soon as it is off topic for the rifle forum and discussing a crime. Both types of posts are generally not looked upon well around here.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:55 PM   #6
Inspector3711

I don't think anyone is discussing a crime... Just trying to decide what the right thing to do is. Obviously we've steered him in the right direction. It's part of why we're here.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:12 PM   #7
armedtotheteeth

again, it depends on your state.
I carry a loaded 45 in my truck and car all the time. I dont have a "license".
We are allowed too, because, we are Texans. Texans pack heat. Try to rob us, youll get shot.
Id be willing to bet this wouldnt fly in another less free state, such as Illinois, Cali, New York etc etc.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:28 PM   #8
chadwick76

seriously, it doesn't take alot of time or money in indiana to get a pc license. just can't have a domestic abuse charge, a felony, and a few other details. Go get your permit, you will be very happy when you get it. However, i do know a few guys who have been waiting upwards of 6 months for their permits here in indiana. not sure, but think everyone is panicing.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:34 PM   #9
MothersLilHelper

Dude, get a permit or move and get a permit. The last thing we need is for antis to be trolling and see posts like this. The ability to carry has increased dramatically in the past few years--get on the rolls and be an evangelist, rather than a lawbreaking Local Crime Blotter entry.
Old March 2, 2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Inspector3711

Exactly. And the panic... This is why I got my permit in december. It took 30 days.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:04 AM   #11
Major Dave (retired)

Don't go there!

"Some parts of town I would like to carry a pistol..."

Don't go to those parts of town. You know you will be in danger when you do, so why are you risking serious bodily injury, or worse, to go there unarmed?
Old March 3, 2009, 12:26 AM   #12
Swampghost

I've carried most of my life. There was a time when nobody questioned open carry in most parts of FL. Rifle racks in the back window of your pickup were mandatory. The good old days.

IMHO walking away from a dead BG beats leaving in a bodybag regardless of what the law says.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:31 AM   #13
MagicMan

Please don't carry without doing it legally. You ruin it for everyone. I wish NJ wouldlet us carry. I'd gladly go through the proper channels.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:18 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I can't think of a single reason why this would be in Art of the Rifle when we have a Law and Civil Rights forum.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:28 AM   #15
Skunk Pilot

It depends on how much money you have?

I wouldn't do it at all. Unless some 1 in a million crazy movie scenario happened to me. Then you'd be stupid not to.

If you can afford 100k to 1 million in attorney's fees to fight it and fight it as unconstitutional then it maybe worth it. If you had misdemeanors or such that were from like 15 years ago, maybe 5 even I don't know. Maybe you could fight it in court to overturn something like that, if you've seen a certified therapist (if that would be in issue in some states or counties).

What they should only be allowed to do to get one is to do a FBI: background check and mental health check every few years and that's it. Verify with other papers (bank statement address matching, IRS address matching) who you say you are. They shouldn't need any fingerprints, blood or know what your weapons you own or are going to carry are at all.

Florida: 2) A person who carries a concealed firearm on or about his or her person commits a felony of the third degree.
Unless it costs $10 to take a class and $5 to get the proper paperwork, then a felony, this is just stupid. Of course I really don't know what happens to you for other things in regular life if you get any type of felony. Or a misdemeanor for that matter, but still. That would turn me into a criminal if I had one of those 1 in a million scenarios and got carrying for that 5 days to whatever it was until it was over. Don't know why couldn't get a pass on that in very, very rare cases of course.

But then again your also right. I'm disabled and took the class like 5 years ago. Find out when I went to local police station that I had to go in person to the state capital, so I never did it, driving is really painful for me. Since last 6 years money has always been an issue for me too since I've gotten physically much worse so the cost is prohibitive for me and it probably won't be in the cards. I suppose I could always sell my Glock G23cc gun and get a very cheap .22lr . Suppose I'd actually shoot it since it wouldn't hurt so much.

However seeing those signs in MN that say you can't carry in this store when that person had a FBI background check and mental check (at least in MN) makes me kind of laugh. I don't know why you wouldn't rob that place, all you would need is a bat or maybe wear an Obama shirt and then they'll give you all the money How many other people that walk in who don't have a CCW have had those checks done, hhhmmmm maybe 1 out of 100 and they had it done because they are a criminal and were in jail.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:17 AM   #16
blume357

The only things above I can agree with are to for sure

check the laws in the original posters state....

the part about it ranging from Misc... to serious felony are true for most states... but what about Alaska and Vermont?

I would not 'check with a lawyer' half the time they are worse than the local police with their knowledge and you are going to have to pay a good one to read your state's gun laws... which you should be able to find on line.

the bottom line is the original poster has not been back and so we don't know what state they live in.
Old March 3, 2009, 09:32 AM   #17
GLK

FWIW BrassSlinger lives in north GA. Additionally I bet this post like five of 18 he started gets locked down as inappropriate/off topic/ inane/ect ect ect.

Last edited by GLK; March 3, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:46 AM   #18
vranasaurus

Quote:
Don't go to those parts of town. You know you will be in danger when you do, so why are you risking serious bodily injury, or worse, to go there unarmed?
This is great advice. You should always avoid situations or behaviors that increase risk.
Old March 3, 2009, 11:22 AM   #19
dmxx99

I carry a gun loaded without a permit in florida only difference is its in a vehicle center console and legal if it stays in the center console when I am driving.
Old March 3, 2009, 02:07 PM   #20
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Don't go to those parts of town."

I'd have to say that this is probably the best advice on this thread.

That said, the penalties vary from locality to locality. It might be a misdemeanor, or it could be a felony that will buy you serious jail time.

The more I think about this, the more uncomfortable I am with it being discussed here as it seems to be an exercise in planning to break the law.

Closed.
Closed Thread