The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2015, 08:49 PM   #51
Negative Investment

I primed all of my 308 brass after sizing and realized I forgot to size one, so I took the pin out of the die and thought I didn't need lube. Ended up getting a primed casing stuck in my die. Murphy's Law.
Old February 28, 2015, 02:39 AM   #52
Pathfinder45

Yeah, reloading,...... It's not for everyone. If you do it wrong, maybe shouldn't do it at all. I've never been wrong. Thought I was, once, but I was mistaken.
This is a great thread, actually. There's been some good laughs here as well as some alarming experiences. We can all make mistakes, and when shared here we can learn from one anothers errors and all be safer for it.
Old February 28, 2015, 08:20 AM   #53
P-990

Biggest reloading mistake ever: Starting. Now I can never go back to being happy having a .308 with a box or two of hunting ammo, or thinking 100-rounds of 9mm is "a lot".

OK, things I've really done:

1) Squibbed some .38 Specials due to bridging of Unique in my powder measure. Must have been that specific charge weight and meter opening combination, because I used 2-lbs of Unique loading 9mm with heavier charges without a single issue.

2) Damaged some .38 Special brass while using an inertial bullet puller. (See #1 for reference.) Similar experience posted earlier in this thread: heavy neck tension, firm crimp, lots of bullet in the case. I still have a bag of rounds I could not dismantle tucked away in the cabinet with "DO NOT USE!!" written in red marker.

3) Pierced primers in .223 loads. Turns out the brass-colored Winchester Small Rifle primers aren't up to dealing with the pressures of running heavy-bullet .223 match loads. And before somebody tells me that's an "obvious" overpressure sign, I switched to CCI BR4 primers and chronograph checked the ammo, never had another issue. It really was just those primers.

4) Loaded a bunch of lead-bullet 9mm ammo, then proceeded to trade the pistol they were loaded for. Not a mistake in the sense of being a danger ready to happen, but I've learned to not make ammo for a gun I'm vacillating on keeping. (See also the box of .45-70 and box of .260 Remington sitting in the cabinet with the DO NOT USE!! .38 Specials.)

5) Over-swaged some crimped .223 brass learning how to adjust and use a Dillon swager. Had a couple primers fall out of cases between the loading bench and the chamber of my Colt. I'm STILL finding cases I swaged on that run; now when they prime with little to no resistance I mark them with a black ring around the case head. Those cases get loaded up like usual after, but tossed into the trash after firing.
Old February 28, 2015, 08:31 AM   #54
JeepHammer

You often think you are the 'ONLY ONE' that has these stupid screw ups...
I'm so glad to see that 'Mr. Murphy' doesn't only live in my house!

I learned reloading from my grandpa who had some questionable practices...
But when you have been doing it since the Wright Brothers were still making cutting edge aircraft, modern equipment and safety weren't really in practice...

(Reloading as a hereditary disease, grandpa to grandson, skipped a generation)

SO, my BIGGEST screw-up was probably the waste powder incident, as I've come to call it.
You have to remember, the 'Depression Era' people WASTED NOTHING, so the waste powder went into a big glass 'Ash Tray' with a seal-able silver lid...
(I don't know what is actually was, but we called it an 'Ashtray')
And grandpa would figure out how much of it he could reuse in different rounds through trial and error.

The thing was probably 6" across, and had about 2" of powder in the bottom, which he would 'Dry' out before using, actually putting it in the oven to dry out before use!
(We would NEVER do anything like this today, but this was the mid 60's, and he had been doing it since the 20s or 30s)

So, Grandpa is reloading some 'Cowboy' black powder rounds, and the powder is getting out since the copper funnel grandpa used didn't fit the mouth of the cases properly.

I was a young pup, and I swept up the droppings and put them in the 'Waste' container...

About half way through, the local cigar chomping game warden came in to talk to grandpa about some deer carcasses that had turned up in the river bottoms...
(Deer hunting was illegal at the time)
Because my grandpa was a 'River Rat' that trapped, fished, hunted and cooked a little whiskey once in a while, and he figured that if grandpa didn't do it, he knew who did...

When this particular game warden thought he had something figured out, he would light that stinking 10ยข cigar...

And you know where this is going...

He lit up, dropped the wooden match in the 'Ash Tray' and all hell broke loose!

Three things happened instantly!
1. An INTENSE flair, followed by pieces of glass ashtray flying all over the work bench,

The 'Fight Or Flight' instinct kicked in with two of us,
2. The game warden heading out of the pole barn/shop towards the barn lot,

3. And me headed for the door/path past the garden to the house and the safety of Grandma!

Grandpa, keeping a cool head, capped the TWO POUNDS of black powder in the metal can before it became part of this catastrophe...

The next thing I know, I hear SCREAMING like a little girl...
So I turn around and run back to see what's happening.
Grandpa is coming out of the pole barn/shop choking on the smoke,
So I follow the screaming and find the game warden hung astraddle the barbed wire electric fence getting his privates cooked and screaming in a voice my 8 year old sister couldn't reproduce!

The next thing I know, grandpa is standing next to me, next to the plug for the fence charger saying,
"Just let him hang a little more..."
Then pulling the plug... The screaming stopped.

No damage other than some loaded cases in a block ignited, and a HUGE scorch mark where the ashtray had been sitting on the back of the bench... AND LOTS OF SMOKE...

And one old, cooked, NOT so cocky game warden rolling around in the pasture moaning and holding his sack with BOTH hands!

The end results...

He was a LOT more polite after that when we saw him...

I dispose of Waste Powder in a SEALED container, and wet it down with water...

Last edited by JeepHammer; February 28, 2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:47 AM   #55
Taroman

Finger in press, above case when sizing.

Not my finger, but you get the idea:

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old February 28, 2015, 02:17 PM   #56
grisbald

I loaded about 30 cases of pistol cases once. Then went to put them on the press and started to wonder why powder was on the press.

Forgot to put the primers in. I mostly use a handpress for primers.
Old February 28, 2015, 06:12 PM   #57
FM12

Using ww296 in 38 spl. Squib round in every one.
Old February 28, 2015, 07:04 PM   #58
Smoke & Recoil

Okay FM12, you have some splaning to do....read that as Ricky telling Lucy.
Old February 28, 2015, 11:28 PM   #59
Crankylove

Loaded 100 45 Auto's with W296 instead of W231.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:31 AM   #60
berettaprofessor

I've been reloading slightly over a year, and yes, I've made some mistakes, mostly minor ones that caused a little inconvenience but no danger. Yet.

But after reading through this thread, I'm shocked at the number of posts about damaging fingers by getting them between the sizer/decapping pins and the press? What kind of press are you guys working with where you can't stop the upstroke before you rip into a finger? When I load, either Lee single-stage or turret, the only hand on the press is the one pulling the lever.
Old March 7, 2015, 12:35 PM   #61
Smoke & Recoil

Hey, with all the people on this forum, have the only mistake makers
already stepped forward ?

Come on folks, don't make the last three pages completed...as in we are
the only bone-heads to ever do something dumb.
Old March 7, 2015, 04:10 PM   #62
JeepHammer

Reading this thread is why I joined the Forum!

That Lightening/powder story had me wetting myself...
Old March 7, 2015, 04:26 PM   #63
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Loaded 100 45 Auto's with W296 instead of W231.
296, 231, close enough

I suppose that would be better than loading 44 Magnum with W231 instead of W296.
Old March 7, 2015, 11:59 PM   #64
Machineguntony

When I first got back into reloading about two or three years ago (I took a ten year break, but I've been reloading since my early twenties), I decided to build my ultimate reloading man cave and bought some Dillon 1050s and a 650. I then had dancing visions of attaching Posness-Warren motors to each of the reloaders, but then I saw pictures, like the one Taroman posted. I'm glad I never bought the motors.
Old March 8, 2015, 12:31 PM   #65
kostner

Mixed IMR3031 with W231 blew my AR bolt up. Broke rule #1 had to jugs of powder out at the same time.
Old March 8, 2015, 03:40 PM   #66
Fatal Wound

Thought i was crimping a round but instead had the flair die in place. Crammed the bullet all the way into the shell.
Old March 8, 2015, 08:35 PM   #67
FM12

Smoke and recoil: Just like it sounds. Loaded 38 spl and 125 gr JHPs and each round as a squib. Hammer fell, primer popped the bullet into the bbl and powder everywhere. WW296 and H110 same results.
Old March 9, 2015, 04:43 PM   #68
schmellba99

I've probably lost a few pounds of various powder through my RCBS Chargemaster by simply forgetting to close the drain valve.

Happens about once every 2-3 years or so, just long enough for me to forget. It has been a painful mistake at times.

I also loaded up a bunch of different loads for my .45 ACP one time with the same round - then promptly forgot to take a few minutes and label them. So I had a whole lot of rounds that I didn't have a clue which powder or powder charge was in them. That was fun....
Old March 9, 2015, 05:17 PM   #69
Geezerbiker

I have 2 but both were pretty minor. I was flaring .38 special cases prior to seating cast bullets and stuck in a .357 case by mistake. It made an interesting funnel...

The second was using too much Alox when tumble lubing bullets for my .45 ACP. I was loading them on my Dillon 550B. The first dozen turned out great so I stopped inspecting them and kept on cranking out ammo. The COL was getting shorter as the Alox was packing up in the seater die. This became obvious as I was putting the rounds into plastic cartridge boxes. I ended up pulling a couple hundred rounds and loading them again.

Mistakes happen but if you're careful and double check the finished product, the little stuff will be caught...

Tony
Old March 10, 2015, 01:10 PM   #70
TRDFurgesson

Gotta new shiny Thumblers Tumbler, wow super clean brass!!! After over heating some LC 5.56 in the oven while trying to speed up the drying process I decided to air dry my next batch. Loaded 300 round of .40s&w that I thought was dry. About half went click... I got good at malfs for about a week. Never again.

A Glock that is not maintained will last, a Glock that is maintained will last a long time, and a Glock that is well maintained will last longer than you will.
Old March 12, 2015, 07:56 PM   #71
Ozzieman

Not me, but next position over at a comp shoot idiot had pistol powder in an AR case. Said the first two rounds felt odd. 3RD round caused the T handle to break my nose as the gun became a non-assembly of parts.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old March 21, 2015, 10:50 AM   #72
Smoke & Recoil

Okay, lets give this thread a little boost.
Do we not have other people willing to fess-up ?
Old March 21, 2015, 02:00 PM   #73
lamarw

Forgetting to change the shell case holder when changing calibers on my turret press.
Old March 21, 2015, 04:39 PM   #74
ranchito457

After a long night of reloading leaving my basement reloading room trying to carry everything back upstairs in one trip I managed to drop an 8lb keg of powder on the stairs and it managed to hit just so it knocked the cap off and spilled about 5 lbs. of it all over my stairs.
Needless to say I wasn't the happiest person in the world going to bed that night!
Also had a 45acp squib a while back-but what made that squib really bad was me and a group of guys had gone out on a group shoot and my buddy towards the end of the day asked to shoot my 1911 happy to comply I handed him my gun with a box of my reloads and went back about my shooting-10 minutes later he hands me my gun and I put it away after checking that its clear. That night I'm on my loading bench replacing all the 45 I shot that day and decided to use that gun as a chamber gauge-first reload wont chamber I adjust my dies and try again second and third same problem finally look down the barrel and Found my squib, Don't know who I was more mad with myself for the squib or my buddy for not saying something didn't seem right on his last round. After that day I learned my lesson from now on when someone is shooting one of my guns I make it a point to watch for any malfunctions and more importantly my reloads are for me and me alone-I won't be responsible for someone else getting hurt because of my hobby!!!!
Old March 21, 2015, 04:50 PM   #75
Smoke & Recoil

ranchito457

The squib story gave me an ill feeling. Was he really a FRIEND ?