The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 27, 2001, 11:11 PM   #1
tbmaker

barrel length ?

i'm building a 257 roberts on a 98 mauser action. it will wear a ross thumb hole sporter,laminated stock and be used for heavy varmits and deer from a stand.
i'm seriously looking at a 26" barrel. will this length squeeze enough speed out of this cartridge to make it worth my time or is 24" enough? TIA
Old August 27, 2001, 11:46 PM   #2
Archie

Go with the longer barrel.

You can always trim it later.

The .257 Roberts is a dandy old round. But all small bores are dependant on barrel length for velocity.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 28, 2001, 12:17 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

tbmaker....welcome aboard.

Usin the Mauser will allow you to load to longer overall length than became popular once people started makin commercial Roberts on short actions. A very common and not very effecient combination was usin overall length of <2.75" and a long chamber throat. Necessitated by the short actions. Back when Springfields and Mauser 98s were the common actions for the Roberts, overall lengths ran more toward 2.775-2.80" and even more.

Do as much diggin as you can before you have the chamber cut for yours. There is a lot of info in assorted nooks and crannies and a large percentage of it pertains to fittin the Roberts in a short action. Not applicable in your case.

I built one in the late 40s, with laminated (walnut plywood) stock and 26" Jim Adair barrel. It was a screamin tack driver with 100gr Sierra and served well for bout 25 years without losing accuracy. I'm sorry but I no longer have the chamber dimensions.

Good luck with a neat old cartridge that still holds it's own.

Sam......gettin old is fun, bein old sucks.