The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 8, 2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Splash

A Wilderness CSM Belt Question

I've read that the 5-stitch and CSM belts are both great belts. That said,... Has your experience with the CSM been positive or negative? Some have commented that the CSM belts is uncomfortable and "digs" in or "rubs" uncomfortably. Does this pertain to heavier..uhm...builds or thinner types. The woman at Wilderness on the telephone explained to me that thinner people usually find the CSM belt more uncomfortable. She also mentioned that the CSM belt was designed for heavier people. I'm not heavy and have no overhanging extra body fat. If you find the belt comfortable or uncomfortable please let me know if you are heavier or thin. Thanks.
Old October 9, 2010, 01:34 PM   #2
dairycreek

I have worn my CSM now for slightly more than a year and have found it to be highly serviceable and comfortable. I have a couple of pistols that are quite heavy and the extra stiffness afforded by the CSM distributes the weight of these guns quite well. I am 6'3" tall and weigh in at 260 and have some overhang around the middle. As I wrote earlier I have found the CSM to be quite comfortable to wear whether or not I am wearing a gun. Based on my experience alone I recommend the belt highly

GOOD SHOOTING
Old October 9, 2010, 04:09 PM   #3
AH.74

I tried an instructor belt and here is why I couldn't use it.

I thought it would work like a regularly constructed belt in the way you tighten it. It does not.

If you put it on normally from left to right or counterclockwise, you then thread it through the buckle and back to the right upon itself and fasten the velcro.

Pulling it tight to the right and fastening it along itself to the right did not work for me. If I wanted to pull it tight and fasten it to the left I would have to thread it clockwise which is opposite for me. This also requires the holster if on the right to be toward the wrong end of the belt.

The velcro part fastened back on itself had to go over the belt loops and got in the way of the holster.

I was disappointed. I think I'm the only one I've ever heard of that has had problems with it.

It IS a well-made piece of equipment.
Old October 9, 2010, 11:04 PM   #4
Splash

Thanks very much for the input. I carry 2 extra clips and a 45 M&P. Some say the CSM is overkill and others swear they are comfortable. I didin't want to buy 2 belts to find out. I will also be using it for a Ruger Redhawk in the near future. Thanks again.
Old October 10, 2010, 04:21 AM   #5
Brit

I can not remember when I started wearing Instructor belts, but it is a long time ago, 20 years, more. First the big steel buckle, now the Frequent Flier with Delrin? rings, wear it the boys way, the Velcro part I pull into the first loop of the holster, does not move at all.

I have a black one (wear most) and a green one. And plane travel a one inch model, every day, gun, carry, 1.5" Glock 19, off side spare G17 Magazine, flash light, always. Total comfort, Old Guy, 5'9" 206lb. On security line up, you do not need to take it off. The belt! No gun!

Last edited by Brit; October 10, 2010 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Add a bit
Old October 11, 2010, 09:59 AM   #6
blueorb

I wear an original wilderness belt everyday and love it. I also wear it for my IDPA and Steel Challenge matches. It's a sturdy and very durable belt. I've had mine for about 2 years now and I just now showing signs that I need a new one. The stitching on the velcro portion of the belt is coming loose which is allowing the velcro to come free. If I can re-stitch it then I will but if not I will definitely buy another one.

A key part of the wilderness bets is correct fitting. AH.74 mentioned that when he pulled the belt tight (to the right) that it got in the way of the holster. That tells me that he either wears his hoslter in a far forward position or his belt is too long. They give very specific instructions on how to size your belt. Make sure you follow those instructions.
Old October 13, 2010, 09:43 AM   #7
AH.74

Quote:
A key part of the wilderness bets is correct fitting. AH.74 mentioned that when he pulled the belt tight (to the right) that it got in the way of the holster. That tells me that he either wears his hoslter in a far forward position or his belt is too long. They give very specific instructions on how to size your belt. Make sure you follow those instructions.
You'd be wrong about my ordering the wrong size. I have several other belts that work fine and ordered the same length. As I said, the different type of construction with the "tail" that you loop back and fasten back along itself was the issue. I also carry at 4-430, not forward.
Old October 14, 2010, 12:16 AM   #8
Jack Bauer

Quote:
I tried an instructor belt and here is why I couldn't use it.

I thought it would work like a regularly constructed belt in the way you tighten it. It does not.

If you put it on normally from left to right or counterclockwise, you then thread it through the buckle and back to the right upon itself and fasten the velcro.

Pulling it tight to the right and fastening it along itself to the right did not work for me. If I wanted to pull it tight and fasten it to the left I would have to thread it clockwise which is opposite for me. This also requires the holster if on the right to be toward the wrong end of the belt.

The velcro part fastened back on itself had to go over the belt loops and got in the way of the holster.

I was disappointed. I think I'm the only one I've ever heard of that has had problems with it.

It IS a well-made piece of equipment.

You are not the only one...it is for this exact reason I sold the one instructor belt I tried. I didn't like the way I had to put it on with a holster to make it work.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old October 29, 2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Splash

Update

I received my Wilderness 5-stitch coyote tan belt about a week ago. I've been wearing it every day and while it may be a bit early to comment, I have to say it's more comfortable than any leather belt that I have worn. It cinches snugly, won't loosen, and carries my M&P close and tight to my body...much more so than my leather belts. I'm not even sure why it's more comfortable but it almost feels like I dont have a belt on, yet my weapon stays secure. Thank you all for the feedback...much appreciated