The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 10, 2005, 04:01 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Ammo quality

So for some time now I've wondered why my guns jam and I'm not a good shot.

The answer, my friends, the long awaited answer, it that the Wolf ammo I've been using is aweful. Even though Wolf is cheap and some people love it, It's caused many problems for me, including regular jams, it's dirty ammo, and I actually traded a gun that, in hindsite, only jammed because of the Wolf ammo I was using. In the long run the Wolf ammo has COST me more than I saved. Also, my shots are much more accurate with other ammo and my confidence is higher as a result.

As for the P3AT, my first 100-150 shots with Wolf ammo resulted in regular jams. Today, after 25 shots and about 10 jams, I gave up the Wolf ammo.

I switched back to Independence and had zero jams after 50 shots. And many more accurate shots with the Independence.

I had a similar experience in my Taurus P140 (which I traded 3 years ago due to regular jamming, not realizing it was the ammo), my Beretta, and my AR15. After using different brass, my shots are much more accurate and my guns don't jam. Go figure.

Your experiences?
Old September 10, 2005, 07:19 PM   #2
Alaskanmonte

I have used Wolf ammo in several of my guns and have had no problems with it. But some guns do not like certain brands or types of ammo. Gun ownership is a learning experence and I have had the same kind of problems that I thought were gun related, and they ended up being ammo or mag related. Oh well live and learn ..
Old September 10, 2005, 08:08 PM   #3
zzirg

I use to own a rossi 357 mag,when i used wolf ammo it got so fauled up with powder that i couldnt use the gun anymore,until id take it home and clean it.
Old September 15, 2005, 05:22 PM   #4
MikeWrite

I've fired many, many rounds of Wolf ammo through my AR15 and SKS with excellent success for casual shooting. It's reasonably accurate in the SKS and actually quite good in the AR (sub 2"/100 in my DPMS). I don't normally use Wolf in pistols simply because Winchester White Box is generally cheap and easily available, but I'd have no particular qualms about using it in something like a Glock or even a mil-spec 1911. One friend insists that it broke the extractor on his high-end semi-custom 1911, but he never complained about the accuracy or reliability until the extractor croaked after 2000+ rounds.

While some guns may not like Wolf ammo, I seriously doubt that Wolf is so inaccurate that it prevents a competent shooter from hitting the vital area of a man-sized target at reasonable pistol ranges. More likely, it would be a 4" Wolf group versus a 2" WWB group or something like that. I'd be interested to hear how well you group, with actual measurements, using both kinds of ammo.

Mike

I am a leaf on the wind.
Old September 16, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
dfaugh

My experience

I've used alot of Wolf on 7.62x39 as well as 9x19.(probably 10,000 rounds total). And I've now been using the .22 Match ammo as well, but only a couple boxes sofar.

In MY experience in MY guns:

Never a problem with malfunctions...Ever...
Not as accurate as most "better ammo"...Accuracy ranges from "barely adequate" to "not bad" (the exception being the .22 Match,which so far seems to be at least as good as anything else in my gun.)
Yes, its dirty but cleans up easily.Have fired alot of rounds in a single session,and still never caused a malfunction.

In short, not the best ammo, but not bad either, IMHO

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 17, 2005, 04:24 PM   #6
WESHOOT2

gun = launch platform

The ammo does the work; never ever forget that.

If the ammo is no good then it doesn't matter how good the gun is, ay?

Bad ammo :barf:

Last edited by WESHOOT2; September 17, 2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: the very reason that "all my ammo........."
Old September 18, 2005, 07:27 PM   #7
2ksportny

After reading this thread I went to my gun store & they had Wolfe ammo for $7.99 for 50 rds. I picked 1 up to give them a try, he says he shoots them all the time at the range & has never had a problem with them as long as you clean the gun properly. I will find out.