The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 9, 2001, 10:25 PM   #1
Nevada Fitch

Combat canes?

Does anyone know if you can still take a walking cane on board a plane?
Old October 10, 2001, 08:28 AM   #2
p7Actuary

Last night on the news, when the new FAA limitation of 1 carryon bag was listed, another screen came up stating that umbrellas and walking canes are still allowed.
Old October 10, 2001, 09:09 AM   #3
Erich

I've been on planes with my Canemaster Gentleman's Cane two weeks ago. No problems. I had to run it through the X-ray machine, as always. I have a doctor's note, though, if it got down to that, plus I can show them the orthopedic insert under my right heel.

The FAA regs that I've seen posted on MSNBC and CNN say that umbrellas and canes are acceptable once they are examined.
Old October 11, 2001, 12:24 AM   #4
swsurgeon

A friend of mine tried to carry a 34" Newt Livesay Whoop-Ass 1 walking stick onto a LA to Sacramento flight and was told to check it. He thinks something that looked like a normal crook top cane would have made it on.
Old October 11, 2001, 08:54 AM   #5
Coronach

Question:

In the confined spaces aboard a passenger aircraft, how useful would a cane be? I know, its better than nothing, but...

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 11, 2001, 09:04 AM   #6
Erich

Thrust, thrust, thrust!
Old October 11, 2001, 10:05 AM   #7
KSFreeman

Conronach, nothing years and years of Hap Ki Do can't cure. The study of the cane (my instructor's fav) was the best thing I got out of it. (Plus, the cool "tactical" [i.e. black] pajamas).

Don't it like a cricket bat, strike by thrusting. The hook comes in real handy too.
Old October 11, 2001, 11:45 AM   #8
Erich

Say, Kirk, did you study under Don Burns down at IU? I took a class with him (my last semester - hardly years and years of practice), and I remember having wondered why a guy in such good shape would need to carry a cane around. Then I saw what he could do with it!
Old October 11, 2001, 12:00 PM   #9
KSFreeman

Yes, counselor, that was Don Burns when I was at Indiana University. We studied different weapons at different kups. Great guy and gave me names in Chicago when I went to grad skul. Be aware of the cane!
Old October 11, 2001, 02:52 PM   #10
swsurgeon

At our academy a nearby building has some long, narrow service corridors. After hours, one of our instructors got the night watchman's permission to train staff and cane there. Even a 5 ft staff can be effective in close quarters if you train for that situation, and a cane is a lot easier to handle. You just have to get away from training in the middle of a wide open workout floor.

In addition to thrusts, right hand redondos can be performed effectively in close quarters (for those of us who are right handed---obviously southpaws would strike left redondos).
Old October 12, 2001, 12:06 AM   #11
Nevada Fitch

Sounds like the cane may be the last legal weapon that can still be carried without much of a hassel. Even though I have had no training with the cane I believe I could defend myself against the average man with a boxcutter.
Old October 12, 2001, 08:47 PM   #12
cbjessee@NH

A cane extends your reach about 3 feet and is a decent impact weapon where none other can travel.

Have a look a www.canemaster.com for instruction and canes. My wife took a course and keeps one hanging on the rail by the front door - the oak matches our railings and it's almost invisible, but in open sight. Mine is now on order, since I can't bring a blade on the airplane.

BRET