The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 25, 2016, 08:15 AM   #1
g.willikers

Dot rear sight as a training tool

Dot sights are usually used as an aiming aid.
But they can be put to even better use as a training tool.
As anyone who uses one can testify, if the gun and sight aren't aimed properly, the sight isn't on target.
Sometimes not even on screen.
Only when the shooters form provides what it should does the dot sight appear on the target as expected.
Dot sights actually force the user to use very good technique and form.

A recent email from the NRA American Rifleman Insider had an article and video on a new type of dot sight,- The FT Bullseye from Meprolight.
It looks like it would be an excellent trainer due to it's very low profile and ease of installation in the rear dove tail.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...CENSORED-=1016

P.S.
Another reason to join the NRA and receive a lot of interesting stuff you might not otherwise be aware of.
Old October 25, 2016, 08:35 AM   #2
MarkCO

Have you used it?

I have used several of these "new" sights over the past 3 years or so. Marketing propaganda is all they are. There are several versions and none of them do anything better than standard sights (and or a front night sight).

Traditional sights and a laser or beam hit type of set up is a much better training aid for newer and less experienced shooters.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:04 AM   #3
g.willikers

No, I have no experience with this particular sight.
But I can definitely testify as to the usefulness of dot sights in greatly smoothing out and speeding up the presentation for that first shot.
And this version has an advantage of being as low a profile as irons.
Which might make it a good training tool.
But if you prefer lasers, that's good, too.
Whatever works.
Old October 25, 2016, 05:36 PM   #4
DaleA

Well if a person is concerned about such things there would not be a front sight to snag on anything...that should be a plus.
Old October 26, 2016, 12:08 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Reminds me of the See All sights, something I'd like to try out one day. Two things come to mind, though.
  1. How does it handle one handed reloading off your belt/pocket/holster/whatever
  2. how does it work for precision shooting

I could see how this might be beneficial as a speed option but not so much with precision 25 yard hits on a 6 inch target. It looks like it would cover more than half of what you want to hit. Now if you placed a high notch sight that could be used with a suppressor height front sight for a 6 o'clock hold and it could handle the stress of racking the slide, maybe I might be interested.

Sights are a reference point so you know which end is the noisy one when the adrenaline is messing with your prefrontal cortex and general higher functioning. I think there's too much involved in lining up this sight and you would better spend the money on ammo and practice point shooting.
Old October 26, 2016, 06:12 AM   #6
Mobuck

I have a "self illuminating" front sight on a shotgun which is only visible when the shooter's cheek is positioned on the stock aligning the eye in the proper index. This works extremely well to eliminate the eye (which is the rear sight on a shotgun)looking "over the rib" causing shots to go high.
I don't think such a sight can be substituted for simple practice in gun handling to teach shooters to bring the handgun up onto target with sights close to in line.
Old October 26, 2016, 03:42 PM   #7
2ndsojourn

I like the idea of fiber optic combined with tritium. But I think that combination would make for a better front sight.
Old October 26, 2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Pahoo

Agree !!!!

Quote:
Dot sights actually force the user to use very good technique and form
It's the most natural sight to ones eyes. Once it's set up properly, all you have to do is superimpose the dot onto the target and it's yours !!!! .....

Be Safe !!!!
Old October 27, 2016, 05:48 PM   #9
Snyper

A single dot on the rear seems useless to me, and they want $189 for it.
I see no advantages over typical 3 dot systems
Old October 27, 2016, 11:49 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Reminds me of the See All sights, something I'd like to try out one day.
I'd like to try one too--but not for $100-$200.

Same deal with the Meprolight sight.

Both sights do nothing in terms of getting the dot and the target in the same focus plane which means they don't provide the same benefit as a typical reflex/holo sight.

When I get ready to put something other than typical open sights on a pistol I'll be moving to a reflex/holo sight.
Old October 28, 2016, 02:53 AM   #11
AzShooter

The dot sights are a big advantage and a great learning tool. You only have to concentrate on putting the dot on your target and pulling the trigger.

Wherever the dot is when your hammer falls is where you will hit. USPSA and Bianchi shooters as well as all the speed events have used dot sights for more than 20 years because they work.

It pays to buy a good one. Don't worry, if you don't like it you can always sell it on E-bay for just about what you paid for it.
Old October 28, 2016, 05:59 AM   #12
1stmar

Reflex/dot sights and the like are excellent tools but not if you are looking at them as training tools for iron sights. Trigger control, breathing etc fine. But they teach you to look at the target, something most people struggle with not doing when using iron sights. Bad practice for that imo. But they are fast and easy and practical. Just be careful what they train you to do. The meprolight sight would be better iron sight training imo.

For defensive situations, I'd rather have a reflex sight as you will likely be looking at the bg not sight alignment. Lasers are good too. But give your position away not always a problem.