The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 17, 2015, 02:38 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Carrying in summer...

My carry gun is a 6-shot .38Spl snub in a IWB holster carried at 1 o'clock or 04.30... The former is my preferred position.

In the Estonian winter, outdoors, you could conceal an RPG thanks to the layers, but this little northern nation manages some very respectful summer weather too.

When that happens and I'm in shorts I tend to wear a T-short tucked in for comfort with the holster and then a light cotton shirt, buttoned, loose.

This is probably perfectly adequate, but I feel paranoid and exposed. The slightest breeze and I imagine an imminent Marilyn Monroe air-vent moment when carrying appendix just waiting to reveal my preparedness.
If I decide to carry in 04.30 then anytime I bend over I can feel the butt of the snub standing proud like a beacon under my shirt....

Carrying at 03.00 is just not comfortable.

So how can one carry without boiling and without flashing "yer steel"...
Old July 17, 2015, 06:12 AM   #2
Slimjim9

Smaller gun for pocket carry is one solution. I wear jeans a lot even in 90+ degree weather and pocket carry an LCR357, but it would probably be too heavy for shorts.
Old July 17, 2015, 07:54 AM   #3
drobs

As long as your carrying legally and your state / country doesn't have some stupid law against printing or accidentally showing a pistol - who cares.

Most people are oblivious and could be staring right at you and not even notice you're carrying a firearm.
Old July 17, 2015, 07:54 AM   #4
flphotog

I live in FL where it is usually hot and carry the same guns year around, either a 1911 government or full size CZ. I almost always wear a t shirt and never have an issue concealing.
Old July 17, 2015, 11:46 AM   #5
dyl

I started out pocket carrying a snub. Then I tried a cheap 1 clip Don Hume IWB holster - it was non-adjustable and it placed the cylinder right at the belt line where most tension is. That holster is in a box.

Then I got into IWB at 4:30 with semi-autos with a Theiss holster which I still do with thicker shirts/sweaters, and pocket carry for more formal situations.

Now I mostly pocket carry a small semi-auto, using the same cheap Desantis Nemesis I had for my snub. It's a durable holster - may not have been the most gentle on the annodization of my snub, but the holster looks about the same as years ago. It works just fine with either pistol, just carries an inch or so higher in the holster. Blue jeans and their narrow pocket mouths are not as smooth in/out, but everything else works well. Nothing beats the convenience in my mind. My cell phone has been moved to the back pocket.
Old July 17, 2015, 02:11 PM   #6
AK103K

I usually carry a Glock 17 AIWB at around 1:00. Summers here are pretty warm, and humid. These days, depending on what Im doing, Ive been wearing a wife beater, under a tee shirt or polo shirt, or a tee shirt, under an untucked oxford type shirt. They all work. The appendix position just makes IWB even more concealable and comfortable. It also brings all of your stuff to a central "dashboard", and makes protecting things even easier and less conspicuous, and printing basically a non existent problem.

Ive also been trying larger guns in my Smart Carry, and its been working very well too. They really are a very versatile holster, and have become one of my must haves. If youre really paranoid, and require the deepest concealment, but still have good access and speed, its the one you want.
Old July 17, 2015, 06:10 PM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
So how can one carry without boiling and without flashing "yer steel"...
Strong side pocket carry works just fine.......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 17, 2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Gazpacho

Summer weight hiking shirts, preferrable button front with a print. These are typically very light weight, ripstop and vented in the back. They are fitted loose for extra ventilation. They excell as a cover garment. Also, they are light enough to allow a moisture wicking undershirt.

Tru-Spec shorts with mag pockets inside the cargo pockets.

Today I carried a 9mm Sig P320 Compact, 2 spare 15 round magazines and a Kahr P380 in a pocket holster, as back-up. The Sig rode in an IWB at 4 o'clock. Concealment and comfort aplenty. This is way in excess of what I normally carry, but I wanted to try it out.
Old July 17, 2015, 07:46 PM   #9
shootniron

My summer carry is the same as winter carry...in the pocket of whatever I am wearing...which is almost always, shorts.
Old July 18, 2015, 02:24 PM   #10
TailGator

Quote:
Marilyn Monroe air-vent moment
People weren't looking for a pistol then, and they aren't looking for a pistol on you either.

I live in Florida, and carry at 4:00 or 4:30 under tail-out shirts almost all year. Not to worry - between good cover and your neighbors' oblivion you are fine.
Old July 18, 2015, 03:10 PM   #11
2damnold4this

I carry a J frame Airweight. It's easy to pocket carry in the summer but when i get sweaty, it's hard to draw smoothly. It's much easier to draw from an inside the waistband holster at the 1:00 position. As a mechanic, I must get into and out of a variety of cars and trucks each day. I also must squat down to the floor to set lifts, bend over fenders and occasionally crawl under dashes. The J frame at 1:00 IWB stays well concealed, is easier to draw than when in a sweat soaked pocket and is almost as comfortable to carry.
Old July 18, 2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Summer carry is a definite challenge for me. Outside of the office, I am in shorts and a T.

In the winter, I carry a full sized 40 and a 380 as backup. Under a jacket or coat, one can conceal most frame sizes. In summer I am relegated to a 380 in a Sneaky Pete holster and a 32 ACP in a back pocket holster.

Sometimes it's just the 32 in the back pocket. I shudder at that because my wife and I once ran into a situation where that little thing might not have gotten us out.
Old July 18, 2015, 08:32 PM   #13
Don P

Quote:
Pond, James Pond

See above,
Quote:
As long as your carrying legally and your state / country doesn't have some stupid law against printing or accidentally showing a pistol - who cares.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 19, 2015, 12:42 AM   #14
DanTSX

Just got back from a night out in a series of very upscale establishments where carrying a gun, or wearing a hawaiin shirt, or fanny pack would get me kicked out due to jumpy Fairfield county and NYC folks would freak out. Being caught, or printing would not be illegal, but would likely cause a commotion and detainment.

It was 88-90 degrees and humid.

Carried a S&W 3913 OWB in a leather holster hung on a reinforced leather carry belt, worn under a slim fit polo shirt and slim fit casual slacks.

Nobody noticed. I barely noticed. It was comfortable and concealed. The gun was kept very close to body, but I could draw quickly. Wasn't concerned at all about my motions either.

Honestly, I don't get what the problem is unless you guys are living in gym wear.
Old July 19, 2015, 03:11 PM   #15
walks with gun

Clip a few split shot sinkers to the bottoms of your un-tucked shirts, take them off before washing or handwash and line dry. Seems I remember some of the detectives doing this many years ago.
Old July 19, 2015, 08:07 PM   #16
shep854

Over the 20-odd years I have carried, I have tried just about every method, and have settled for pocket carry here in Alabama, with a J-frame .38 (or a small 9mm auto, if I can practice frequently).
Old July 20, 2015, 09:17 PM   #17
DanTSX

Quote:
Clip a few split shot sinkers to the bottoms of your un-tucked shirts, take them off before washing or handwash and line dry. Seems I remember some of the detectives doing this many years ago.
That and shirt buttons replaced with magnetic snaps.
Old July 21, 2015, 09:28 AM   #18
45Gunner

On those hot days where it is not tolerable to wear any more clothing than absolutely necessary, I put my G36 in a belly bag.
NRA Life Member
Old July 21, 2015, 11:05 AM   #19
Stevie-Ray

I carry the same way, no matter the weather, i.e. OWB at 3:30-4:00. Usually a t-shirt or polo covering in summer, sometimes in winter the shirt or sweatshirt is tucked in using the outer garment for cover, especially if not intending to remove coat, such as going to store. Always a BUG in back pocket. Similar weather here.
Old July 21, 2015, 12:32 PM   #20
Nanuk

Carry a fullsize Glock 31C AIWB all summer.

If I did not have access to information, or lived with my head in the sand I may have opted for a smaller EDC. The attacks on LE lately and the Attacks on the Marine recruiters is the tip of the iceberg.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old July 21, 2015, 02:26 PM   #21
mavracer

When it's that hot I'll drop my LCP in the pocket of my gym shorts, The LCR is ok too but got to make sure and tie the string on the shorts then.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old July 21, 2015, 05:10 PM   #22
walks with gun

I'm over 50 now and if it's too danged hot to wear something that conceals my Commander, I just switch to Speedo's and flip flops, People must think , Here come's a really bad dude, cause they just clear a path for me, no hassles.
Old July 21, 2015, 06:39 PM   #23
smee78

Right......thats why they get out of the way.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:25 PM   #24
Slimjim9

Quote:
walks with gun...I'm over 50...Speedo's and flip flops...People just clear a path for me, no hassles
There's a mental image I didn't ask for.
Old July 21, 2015, 08:51 PM   #25
AK103K

Quote:
I just switch to Speedo's and flip flops, People must think , Here come's a really bad dude, cause they just clear a path for me, no hassles.
Naw, they probably just think youre an arrogant French Canadian on holiday. Used to see them all the time walking around dressed like that on LBI.