The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 20, 2015, 08:15 PM   #26
MarkCO

Snow Geese, rats on a wing.

Just FYI, in North America, we have "Pronghorn". Africa has "Antelope" which are different animals.
Old February 20, 2015, 08:48 PM   #27
Chaz88

Quote:
Just FYI, in North America, we have "Pronghorn". Africa has "Antelope" which are different animals.
You have a long road ahead of you correcting that nomenclature.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 20, 2015, 09:10 PM   #28
waveslayer

Duck and mule deer. Best ever was Fallow deer and red stag
Old February 20, 2015, 09:29 PM   #29
Mike1

Maybe just me, but I've never had a bad tasting Pronghorn. Cooked rare they're great.

Worst I've had was a rotten black bear.
Old February 20, 2015, 09:32 PM   #30
Buzzcook

Goose was the worst and one of the best. I treated my first wild goose like it was farm raised and it ended up dry and nasty. Later I had a friend show me how to cook them right and they've been great since.

jimbob86
Jigging for squid is fairly popular out here.
Squid is another thing that you have to know how to cook. If you do its like very mild clams. Cook them either very very fast or very very slow.

An example of fast is to cut them into rings, put them in a colander and pour a pot full of boiling water over them. Toss them in pasta and cream sauce and you're done.
Slow would be simmered for two hours with tomato and eggplant.

Now pickled jellyfish skin, that's something to avoid
Old February 20, 2015, 09:54 PM   #31
reynolds357

OPossum tastes pretty nasty.
Old February 20, 2015, 11:24 PM   #32
Auto5

My mother had never cooked duck before I brought my first ones home. So tough, they were inedible. It was the only bad meal she ever cooked. Even the squirrels I brought home came out better. In the early 1980's, in the jungles of Peru, I shared a meal of some type of stew with the locals. All was well until I saw what looked like a small hand in the pot. Turned out to be monkey.
Old February 20, 2015, 11:57 PM   #33
huntinaz

Coyote. Terrible.
Old February 21, 2015, 12:08 AM   #34
rickyrick

Omg I was about to ask if anyone ever ate coyote lol
Old February 21, 2015, 12:29 AM   #35
Chaz88

Quote:
Coyote. Terrible.

Bought shot soda out of my nose! Pictures of it cooking and you eating it or it did not happen.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:03 AM   #36
rickyrick

I have to admit that I once considered eating a coyote, but I could imagine no circumstance in which they'd taste good. Maybe wrapped in tinfoil and smoked... When finished, throw the coyote away and eat the foil
Old February 21, 2015, 09:41 AM   #37
Panfisher

HuntinAZ, did you try any mountain lion?
Old February 21, 2015, 10:03 AM   #38
jimbob86

Quote:
OPossum tastes pretty nasty.
Having seen the back half of what had to have been a very hungry 'possom sticking out of the business end of a roadkilled skunk that had bloated in the sun all day...... I would never even consider eating one.

"It's a 'possum: don't touch it: you don't even want to know where it's been."
Old February 21, 2015, 10:30 AM   #39
aarondhgraham

I almost forgot the field mouse,,,

I almost forgot the field mouse.

When we were kids we roamed the open fields south of Oklahoma City.

Our code was to cook anything we killed.

I popped a field mouse one time,,,
Gutted it, stuck it on a stick, roasted it and ate it.

I don't remember it tasting especially bad,,,
But it sure wasn't good.

In ancient Rome,,,
Dormouse was a delicacy.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 21, 2015, 11:13 AM   #40
huntinaz

Quote:
Pictures of it cooking and you eating it or it did not happen.
I assure you I tried it, twice. Same coyote, two different meals. The first time got a 2 day heavy marinade and it was actually palatable but not what I'd consider good. The second time I didn't bother with the marinade... wow. I don't know how to adequately describe the flavor but chemically, kerosine, funk all come to mind. Really weird and disgusting. I won't do it again, and I eat some weird stuff. I'll try anything twice. For example, bobcat is very good eating.

Quote:
Maybe wrapped in tinfoil and smoked... When finished, throw the coyote away and eat the foil
Rick, don't do that. It'd just make the foil taste worse Seriously though, it was not food meant for human consumption. Coyote I mean. You can eat a ball of tin foil if you had to.

Quote:
HuntinAZ, did you try any mountain lion?
PF: Yeah and it is excellent. It's as good as deer, I'm not kidding. I'm going to make it my business to get more lions.
Old February 21, 2015, 11:23 AM   #41
dahermit

Quote:
People cooking can screw up any given meat that exists, but duck seems to be hard to get right. Bad duck is awful. Good duck is an unexpected treat.
There is no such thing as "Duck" when describing the taste. As I posted, each species tastes different. If you ate a Bufflehead, I guarantee a bad, if not memorable experience. If you roast a Wood duck with bread stuffing, it is very good. You cannot just say "duck" does not taste good unless you have tried every available species.
Old February 21, 2015, 11:49 AM   #42
MarkCO

Yep, I have had excellent duck and disgusting duck.

Mountain Lion is good meat.
Old February 21, 2015, 11:57 AM   #43
kraigwy

Beaver Tail:

When I was a kid I use to read trapper/mountain man books about how great beaver tail was.

So I gave it a try, best described as NASTY.

Taste like cotton soaked in fish oil.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 21, 2015, 11:57 AM   #44
HiBC

I go along with meat handling and preparation go a long way.Necks,shins,shanks,braised lowand slow,can be good.

A good example many of us have experienced is beef brisket.Go ahead,sear the outside and serve it medium rare.I doubt anyone will finish their serving.

But it can be superb.

I had to learn about antelope.I did a couple on my own in high school.I had some to learn,and those lived up to antelope's reputation for skunky poor eating.I then learned to empty my refrigerator before opening day.
Tag filled,gut immediately,bladder intact.Oh yeah,lung shoot them.
Then peel them immediately.Get the hide off.Get it cool.
Then I drive the meat home,quarter,and put it in my empty refrigerator.
Next,I drive back out to the ranch,enjoy the company,enjoy glassing and watching the rest of the hunt.Watch for coyotes,and at night,watch thesky and listen to coyotes.
Antelope tastes remarkably "normal" if you do that.I have not been eating veal,but I imagine antelope is veal-like.Just flour and brown in garlic butter.

I have eaten mountain lion.It was very good.I don't hunt them,but,it was offered.
Staying with the idea that handling iscritical,I may have a candidate for "bad".I did not shoot or dress these,they were given to me.
Little Brown Crane.I tried.but,as I was chewing,nausea began.Could not do it.It had aleachfield/sewage sort of flavor that seemed to emerge and grow as I chewed.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:00 PM   #45
Buzzcook

Quote:
I popped a field mouse one time,,,
Gutted it, stuck it on a stick, roasted it and ate it.
Reminds me of the movie "Never Cry Wolf" based on the Farley Mowat book. The protagonist tries to live on a diet of mice as an experiment. Funny scene.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:41 PM   #46
Chaz88

Quote:
I assure you I tried it, twice. Same coyote, two different meals
My hat is off to you! I am the kind of person that will try about anything and have ate some fairly unbelievable things in different parts of the world. But after hunting and skinning coyotes I think you might have found the line I will not cross. Dog on the other hand is quite good, if handled properly, so maybe there is hope for coyote.

Old February 21, 2015, 02:02 PM   #47
huntinaz

Quote:
But after hunting and skinning coyotes I think you might have found the line I will not cross.
Yeah, coyotes stink. The one I ate was a very mild-smelling one.

The stinkiest animal I've ever encountered however was the lion I just killed. That thing's ass end was the most powerful and rank smell I've ever experienced. I'd say his last meal was a skunk (his body did not smell, it was coming from under his tail), and combine that smell and potency with cat crap and that's what he smelled like. Horrible. Skinning and butchering that animal was not pleasant and to be honest if I hadn't heard soooo many good things about lion meat and been looking forward to trying it I don't know if I'd have kept it. Very glad I did, it is truly excellent meat.
Old February 21, 2015, 03:46 PM   #48
Scorch

Quote:
Easy answer Woodchuck
LOL Reminded me of when I was in college, and a friend and I knew this one old guy (I think everybody knows someone like that) that had a recipe for just about everything. We tried his recipe for coot (nasty, even the cat wouldn't eat it), coyote (not too bad, but stringy), pigeons (very good, actually) and of course rockchuck. We marinated it and seasoned it, but when we tried to roast it, it dripped grease and caught fire and burned like a candle. Just tasted like a grease fire after that. Never tried it again, it might be good.
Old February 21, 2015, 04:49 PM   #49
North East Redneck

Duck, I didn't shoot it and didn't ask what kind it was, but it was nasty.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:07 PM   #50
JWT

Duck. By far.