The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 23, 2020, 12:00 PM   #1
Wheel-Gunner

Kimber K6s, what a beauty!

Took my K6s out for a shooting session again this past weekend. I have gotta say, I have been so impressed with this little revolver. I have the 3" DAO, though I immediately changed out the wood grips for the stock rubber ones. The more I shoot this thing, the more my Smith's and Ruger's get neglected. For those that have not tried one, I highly encourage you to do so.

It looks like they are making 4" target models, and I am really interested in getting one. I also really like the look of the "royal" version of the 2" model. They say the finish is "Dark Oil DLC". Anyone know what that is exactly? I have only ever seen pictures, it appears they aren't readily available.

I would love for them to come out with a full sized one, with a bigger frame that may even be able to have a 7 shot cylinder. I wonder if there are plans to expand the line further. A nice deep blued full size K6s, now that would be a gun worth acquiring.

Happy shooting!

Last edited by Wheel-Gunner; January 23, 2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old January 23, 2020, 12:27 PM   #2
dontcatchmany

I have had the 2" K6S for a little over a year.

Initially I wanted to throw it in the trash after beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer.

The grip on it was not conducive to accurate shooting and 357 magnum was out of the question. Even 38 +P was painful.

Approximately 350 rounds in to it of mostly 38 special, the firing pin broke and I sent it to Kimber. Kimber returned it quickly with a replaced firing pin assembly.

While at Kimber I ordered a Pachmayr Diamond Pro J frame grip and when I got the gun back from Kimber I put the grip on with a fairly stiff piece of foam between the backstrap of the gun and the grip. Lacked about 1/4" fitting to the top of the guns back strap, but work very well and continues to work well.

I was bound and determined to break the gun again.

Dang thing is now in my pocket as I key this and has become my 2nd favorite snubbie after my Ruger LCR 327.

I have put all types of 357 Magnum loads through the gun. The count is about 1500-1600 rounds after the fix and it is a very accurate and fun to shoot. The Diamond Pro grip along with my backyard engineering has mitigated the recoil of all loads to be quite enjoyable. Oh, I am not very recoil sensitive even with arthritis and nueropathy.

Kimber really did a disservice in putting the gun on the market with a horrible grip for 357 magnum and no outside markets to get a good recoil mitigating grip. They are producing revolvers now with a "Controlled Core" grip and were supposed to have those available for the public but I understand that the producer has quit making them.

But I fought through the problems and stuck with it because the trigger was so good and the 6th shot ability over most snub nosed revolvers in 38/357.

And, of course, the price was very high to be new on the market.

I ocassionaly visit a Kimber forum and there are a number of folks there who had problems with a broken firing pin and many more who complain about the grips on the new gun.

On the bright side, the gun caused me to rethink my revolver grip and that improved my shooting with all of my revolvers and actually helped improve my shooting with the many semis that I have.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; January 24, 2020 at 09:18 AM.
Old January 23, 2020, 01:43 PM   #3
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
I have had the 2" K6S for a little over a year.

Initially I wanted to throw it in the trash after beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer.

The grip on it was not conducive to accurate shooting and 357 magnum was out of the question. Even 38 +P was painful.

Approximately 350 rounds in to it of mostly 38 special, the firing pin broke and I sent it to Kimber. Kimber returned it quickly with a replaced firing pin assembly.

While at Kimber I ordered a Pachmayr Diamond Pro J frame grip and when I got the gun back from Kimber I put the grip on with a fairly stiff piece of foam between the backstrap of the gun and the grip. Lacked about 1/4" fitting to the top of the guns back strap, but work very well and continues to work well.

I was bound and determined to break the gun again.

Dang thing is now in my pocket as I key this and has become my 2nd favorite snubbie after my Ruger LCR 327.

I have been to put all types of 357 Magnum loads through the gun. The count is about 1500-1600 rounds after the fix and it is a very accurate ans fun to shoot. The Diamond Pro grip along with my backyard engineering has mitigated the recoil of all loads to be quite enjoyable. Oh, I am not very recoil sensitive even with arthritis and nueropathy.

Kimber really did a disservice in putting the gun on the market with a horrible grip for 357 magnum and no outside markets to get a good recoil mitigating grip. They are producing revolvers now with a "Controlled Core" grip and were supposed to have those available for the public but I understand that the producer has quit making them.

But I fought through the problems and stuck with it because the trigger was so good and the 6th shot ability over most snub nosed revolvers in 38/357.

And, of course, the price was very high to be new on the market.

I ocassionaly visit a Kimber forum and there are a number of folks there who had problems with a broken firing pin and many more who complain about the grips on the new gun.

On the bright side, the gun caused me to rethink my revolver grip and that improved my shooting with all of my revolvers and actually helped improve my shooting with the many semis that I have.

I had a similar issue with my Kimber K6S for recoil. My hand would hurt after over 90 rounds. I can do 200 rounds with my S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot using 357 Magnum 158 gr ammunition. I wanted to like it but the force hit my thumb base which make it hurt for a while.

I have no problems with my Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull or 500 Magnum, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old January 23, 2020, 03:09 PM   #4
Schlitz 45

Mrs Schlitz has a sweet K6s that I get to shoot. One of the smoothest double action triggers I've pulled. She has yet to shoot a magnum round & sticks with the 38 specials for now. When I shot it with the magnum loads six shots was enough for me. I found that the Kimber Shop now has the Control Core grips for sale that covers & cushions the back grip strap & they're tracking to be delivered today. Hopefully we can get out this Saturday & give them a try.
https://store.kimberamerica.com/k6s-control-core-grips
Old January 24, 2020, 11:04 AM   #5
gnystrom

I believe the control core grips are not going to be offered by Kimber. I think some were available on E-Bay.
Dontcatchmany, thank you for your rags to riches story. I am glad you rode your issues out and they are now resolved. Any manufacturer has their new product problems but that is how they make a better product.
I have owned a K6s with Laser grips since they came out. I bought it because of the sixth round and mine has been rock solid. I am not recoil sensitive but I do see a need for some grips offerings that cover the backstrap for people that are.
Just for the heck of it I recently added some Hogue G10's and they filled my hand better than the factory CT lasers that came with my gun.
Overall, Kimber has entered the revolver market with a serious line of great products.

Old January 24, 2020, 12:47 PM   #6
mk70ss

Ours has been stellar so far.
Old January 24, 2020, 07:39 PM   #7
dontcatchmany

I ordered the Controlled Core grip from Kimber today.

Do not know for sure if I will use it, but at least I get to see it and if it looks better than the Pachmayr grip that i have used for several months.

We shall see. Heck, I have "wasted" a ton of money on guns and related items over the years.
Old January 24, 2020, 09:02 PM   #8
Schlitz 45

I received Control Core grips from Kimber Shop yesterday. Perfect fit & feels good in hand. goin’ out shooting tomorrow & see if they tame some of the magnum recoil.
There were 14 grip sets available when I ordered mine, now showing out of stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8B6FEEE8-08D8-44CC-9831-7EDD515F60A5.jpeg (74.2 KB, 89 views)
Old January 25, 2020, 03:58 PM   #9
Scorch

Quote:
I have gotta say, I have been so impressed with this little revolver.
You can buy mine, I think it's a POS.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:12 PM   #10
Schlitz 45

Went out to the range today, mid 40’s & windy didn’t make for the best conditions but we had fun for a couple of hours with a warm up & reloading magazines in the truck.
We both agree the new grips are an improvement & felt recoil was greatly reduced. I can shoot a box of magnum rounds no problem now.
Old January 25, 2020, 09:25 PM   #11
mk70ss

You can buy mine, I think it's a POS......

So what is it exactly that makes it so bad?
Old February 18, 2020, 11:04 PM   #12
rc

My buddy has one in 3 inch but I like my slicked up 4 inch SP101 in 32 magnum better. I'm not crazy about the K6 trigger.
Old February 25, 2020, 03:05 PM   #13
dontcatchmany

I put the controlled core grip on my K6S last night and shot it today.

I shot about 100 rounds.

Started out with 38 non-Plus P, then to +P, then various weights of 357 Magnum. 125 gr, 125 +P, Underwood, 150 Gr LSWC, critical Duty, critical Defense, Speer Gold dot short barrel....

All shot comfortably and I will dispense with using the 38 Special when carrying.

Very accurate today at an indoor range. That front sight worked in the dim light where the sights on my 686+ 3" were very hard to see.....aaarrrgghh. Usually I see the 686 sights very well in day light.

Last edited by dontcatchmany; February 25, 2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old February 25, 2020, 05:11 PM   #14
Carl the Floor Walker

I really want a K6. Prefer one with a exposed ammo. The controlled grip is similar to the "ERGO" grip I am thinking about for my 642.

Congrats on such a nice firearm!!
Old February 29, 2020, 05:05 PM   #15
wild cat mccane

That has to be the tiniest frame available. Looks smaller than the $250 Winidcator
Old March 12, 2020, 02:02 PM   #16
Neal

Hogue now has rubber grips that cover the backstrap. These grips, a surprise to me, fit both the DAO and the DASA models. I ordered a set yesterday and will install them on my 3" DASA as soon as they arrive, It has been sitting in the safe waiting for some good aftermarket grips since I bought it last June. With the stock wood grips, even 38 Spl +P were very uncomfortable, Hope these new Hogues solve the problem for me and many other K6S owners.
Old March 12, 2020, 02:38 PM   #17
Ingramite

I walked into a pawnshop on a Wednesday afternoon and walked out the door with a 3" DOA for only $600.

Friday afternoon on my way home from work I stopped by the range and ran 18 rounds of .357 Magnum 125gr JHP through it.

Saturday morning I took it to the gun show and traded it for a Colt Defender.

It was a beautiful revolver with a great trigger. I'm just thankful that someone wanted it more than me. Now that I've owned one, shot one, traded one, I don't believe I would do it again.

I hope that you enjoy yours.
Old March 12, 2020, 03:03 PM   #18
Neal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingramite View Post
I walked into a pawnshop on a Wednesday afternoon and walked out the door with a 3" DOA for only $600.

Friday afternoon on my way home from work I stopped by the range and ran 18 rounds of .357 Magnum 125gr JHP through it.

Saturday morning I took it to the gun show and traded it for a Colt Defender.

It was a beautiful revolver with a great trigger. I'm just thankful that someone wanted it more than me. Now that I've owned one, shot one, traded one, I don't believe I would do it again.

I hope that you enjoy yours.
Many years ago I had a similar experience with a Ruger SP-101 2.25". After firing a few 125 gr. magnum loads through it, it was sold. But being older and wiser now, I know better than to shoot those kind of loads in a small gun. I can't imagine how vicious those loads would be in one of the S&W lightweight alloy frame 12 ounce snubs.
Old March 13, 2020, 07:31 PM   #19
Mr.RevolverGuy

K6s 2in, 3in and new 4in across the chronograph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnmt5-RRV7g&t=214s

Watch this before you start swapping grips shocking surprise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTtHIAQByjo&t=3s