The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2019, 09:34 PM   #1
its_a_dinger

Where is all the 6.5 PRC brass?

Thinking of jumping ship with 6.5 CM and trying the PRC with my first bolt gun. I have been reloading for some time now and have planned on entering the world of precision shooting since the beginning.

Gun of choice: Bergara Premier HMR Pro
Cartridge offerings (of interest) : 6 CM, 6.5 CM, and 6.5 PRC
Max distance (available) : 600yds
Target Only

My concerns with 6.5 PRC: brass, load data, market longevity

I hate to be a sheep. So many pro/joes have had success with 6/6.5 CM. When Bergara released 6.5 PRC in the HMR Pro I began to question my willingness to give a new-to-market cartridge a chance.

I am not a huge Hornady fan, and refuse to use their brass after seeing many complain about the lousy quality control.

Can anyone shed light on the frequency of brass restock from ADG or know of any other company making PRC? And maybe some pointers on picking up a new cartridge in its young years, dealing with limited load data, supplies, and lack of time tested specs? Also, any secret places to reach out beyond 600yds near central North/ South Carolina state line?
Old December 4, 2019, 09:51 PM   #2
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by its_a_dinger View Post
Thinking of jumping ship with 6.5 CM and trying the PRC with my first bolt gun. I have been reloading for some time now and have planned on entering the world of precision shooting since the beginning.

Gun of choice: Bergara Premier HMR Pro
Cartridge offerings (of interest) : 6 CM, 6.5 CM, and 6.5 PRC
Max distance (available) : 600yds
Target Only

My concerns with 6.5 PRC: brass, load data, market longevity

I hate to be a sheep. So many pro/joes have had success with 6/6.5 CM. When Bergara released 6.5 PRC in the HMR Pro I began to question my willingness to give a new-to-market cartridge a chance.

I am not a huge Hornady fan, and refuse to use their brass after seeing many complain about the lousy quality control.

Can anyone shed light on the frequency of brass restock from ADG or know of any other company making PRC? And maybe some pointers on picking up a new cartridge in its young years, dealing with limited load data, supplies, and lack of time tested specs? Also, any secret places to reach out beyond 600yds near central North/ South Carolina state line?
Hornaday brass is good, so long as you are comparing it to Win,Rem and not Norma, Lapua. Just as it was with the Creedmoor, brass will be scarce for a while.
Old December 5, 2019, 08:51 PM   #3
std7mag

It's still in the form of 375 Ruger.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old December 6, 2019, 11:17 AM   #4
hounddawg

New cartridges/powders/bullets are like the new girls in the brothel. Everyone wants to try them out but they deliver the same results as the old gals. Just my 2 cents worth
Old December 6, 2019, 03:54 PM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
New cartridges/powders/bullets are like the new girls in the brothel. Everyone wants to try them out but they deliver the same results as the old gals. Just my 2 cents worth
Yep, Hornaday reinvented the 6.5x284. If it makes them as much money as re-inventing the 260 did, more power to them.
Old December 6, 2019, 06:08 PM   #6
hooligan1

Watch George Gardener's You tube video on why the PRC was even formed.
It clears up any miss interpretation, or speculations.
Theres brass to be had.
Old December 6, 2019, 08:28 PM   #7
hounddawg

The 6.5 PRC has been out a few years now and still few if any are using it in PRC which according to the video above is what it was developed for. None of the top 100 in 2018 did at least

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...rifle-caliber/

to me it still looks like a solution looking for a problem
Old December 7, 2019, 02:05 PM   #8
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
The 6.5 PRC has been out a few years now and still few if any are using it in PRC which according to the video above is what it was developed for. None of the top 100 in 2018 did at least

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...rifle-caliber/

to me it still looks like a solution looking for a problem
And hardly anyone will shoot it until Norma or Lapua make brass for it. I dont know if either will due to the fact Norma pushes their own 6.5. I think its success will be as a hunting cartridge.
Old December 7, 2019, 02:40 PM   #9
hounddawg

Several manufacturers now offer off the shelf rifles chambered in it so I suspect you are correct that if it succeeds it will be in hunting rifles.

As far as long range target goes though I just don't see it. 300 Win mag and 300 WSM have sucked most of the oxygen out of the room for the heavy bullet guys and the diminutive 6BR and its variants have the light bullet category. I myself am considering doing away all my 6.5's since discovering the amazing efficiency of the 6BR. I have a almost new .260 Rem barrel that may never be mounted on a receiver again sitting in the barrel grave yard corner next to a excellent shooting .308 that has been sitting there 8 years now. Guess I should sell them on Savage Shooters some day so someone can get some use from them
Old December 7, 2019, 02:47 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Midway shows Hornady brand(the only brand there is too) as being currently on sale at $44.09 per 50. $43.99 per 50 from Graf's.
Suggest you buy as much as you can afford if you opt to go to it.
"...until Norma or Lapua make brass for it..." Nonsense. High prices does not mean higher quality. Both are expensive(Norma has always been high priced) because they're European, not because they're any better.
Old December 7, 2019, 03:29 PM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Midway shows Hornady brand(the only brand there is too) as being currently on sale at $44.09 per 50. $43.99 per 50 from Graf's.
Suggest you buy as much as you can afford if you opt to go to it.
"...until Norma or Lapua make brass for it..." Nonsense. High prices does not mean higher quality. Both are expensive(Norma has always been high priced) because they're European, not because they're any better.
Your statement is pure ignorance. Norma/Lapua brass is far superior to Hornaday brass. Ask any benchrest shooter.
Old December 7, 2019, 04:02 PM   #12
hounddawg

from my own experience reynolds357 is spot on. Hornady brass is soft, under competition and high loads the primer pockets rarely last more than a few reloadings. ADG if you want double digit reloads and Hornady if it is throwaway stuff. For hunting purposes the Hornady would probably suffice. Norma is ok but be prepared to do some prep work before the first firing, but it does hold up well. I use Peterson or Alpha whenever possible, good quality straight from the box and made in the USA.
Old December 7, 2019, 04:10 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Looks like it is a little faster than the 6.5-284 and slower than a .264 Win Mag (based on Nosler manual data for both), and shorter than both, for short actions. I am wondering, though, since the complaint about 6.5-284 is that it eats barrels in 1100-1300 rounds, what this rounds barrel life will look like?

And yes, Hornady brass is soft. From measurements:

Attached Images
File Type: gif Head Hardenss 2019-11-03_10-52-16.gif (7.2 KB, 4577 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 10, 2019, 09:31 AM   #14
its_a_dinger

I appreciate all the responses. Seems that alot of us think along the same lines. With this being my first time entering the precision world of reloading and such, I decided to go with the good ole 6.5 CM.

Brass was too big of an issue for the PRC as well as an overbore index at the 6mm CM level.

Was told by a local smith 6mm CM would burn out about 1250. Estimated cost $600 labor w/ cerakote finish.

Called Bergara and they said they've actually halted all repairs/oem rebarreling until February 2020 due to increased demand with production.

I'm taking my extended barrel life and quality brass, and going home.

Tags
6.5 , 6.5 prc , bergara , brass , hmr