The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2012, 11:00 PM   #1
.22rimfire

9 shot

will 1 1/8 onces of 9 shot work for sporting clays i just bought 25 pounds without noticing the the label and clays is what I primarily shoot
Old January 12, 2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I shot 9 shot 1-1/8 and 1 oz. for skeet for quite some time. It works well on clays. They only problem you might have is when you try to make longer distance shots. Larger shot will reach out a bit further. I use to load 12 gauge also and tended to load my 1 oz loads just a bit hotter then target loads to be able to use them for trap as well. Those hotter loads did tend to not let me reload the same shell as many times. My main reason for loading 1 oz vs 1-1/8 oz was I could get more rounds loaded per pound of shot. Depending on if you load for target (skeet) or field loads you should be fine. If in doubt load for field loads and you should not have any problems shooting sporting clays.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3
P.A. Dutchman

#9 shot would work for real close sporting clay shots but that's about it. I tried it once and had less than impressive results. I hit birds with it where you could see orange dust come off of the bird but it did not break. I prefer 7 1/2 shot myself.
Old January 12, 2012, 02:02 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

Buy another bag of your preferred shot size, and mix the two. It will allow you to get rid of the #9, without losing too much performance at the range.

Tags
12 ga , reloading