The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 24, 2021, 10:17 PM   #1
IDbound

LCP Max clones

I really like the thought of this 380 with expanded capacity. Don't know that I am a big Ruger fan so was curious from those on this forum that have more knowledge than me about whether there will be other clones coming. I would think so but I may be just wishful thinking.
Old July 24, 2021, 10:28 PM   #2
Carl the Floor Walker

I am not sure, but thing the Sig938 and 238 had a 22.cal. (not sure of what the round count was.)
Old July 26, 2021, 08:43 AM   #3
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDbound View Post
I really like the thought of this 380 with expanded capacity. Don't know that I am a big Ruger fan so was curious from those on this forum that have more knowledge than me about whether there will be other clones coming. I would think so but I may be just wishful thinking.
Cloning the LCP Max, the way Ruger copied/cloned/rippedoff/"borrowed" the Keltec P3AT to make the LCP?

Or bulking up other, unrelated, low capacity micro-380s?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 26, 2021, 08:23 PM   #4
KyJim

Quote:
Cloning the LCP Max, the way Ruger copied/cloned/rippedoff/"borrowed" the Keltec P3AT to make the LCP?
I agree with this thought process. We should all be using the Colt Patterson revolving pistol. Every revolver since then ripped off all or part of the design from Colt.
Old July 26, 2021, 09:54 PM   #5
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
KelTec comes out with some neat stuff… problem is they can’t build it to scale, and usually they produce them too rough that most people avoid them. This is coming from someone who had a KSG and SUB-2000, upgraded both so they didn’t feel like toys… and then ended up selling both because I rather more traditional firearms (KSG… the tube selector really was too much when it is easier to train on an 870; SUB-2000… it was a .40 gun with M&P magazines, and my agency switched from .40 H&Ks to 9mm Glocks, so I built a 9mm AR pistol that takes those magazines).

If you take an original LCP (which I still have one that I carry when I need something small; original model, right after the recall), and compare it to a P3AT, it is night/day. Then, go look at the LCP II… and the improvements it brought over from complaints on the original pistols. And now, a double stack version. You can say that Ruger ripped off the P3AT, but their innovation really left KelTec in the dust.
Old July 26, 2021, 10:05 PM   #6
Forte S+W

Presuming that the LCP MAX will be a success, other companies will follow suit by releasing their own answers to the LCP MAX, so in such a case I imagine that practically everyone who currently offers a .380 ACP Pocket Pistol will make a version of it with higher capacity in order to capitalize of the popularity of such firearms.
Old July 26, 2021, 10:08 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

The original LCP is simply heavier, bigger, and has a slicker finish than the Keltec.
"Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

The P3AT is a bare bones gun designed to be small, thin, lightweight, and inexpensive. People have trouble understanding that. After all- bigger and heavier is better for a pocket gun, right?
Old July 26, 2021, 11:55 PM   #8
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
The original LCP is simply heavier, bigger, and has a slicker finish than the Keltec.
"Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

The P3AT is a bare bones gun designed to be small, thin, lightweight, and inexpensive. People have trouble understanding that. After all- bigger and heavier is better for a pocket gun, right?
Having owned many LCP's. All replaced by Ruger except for one, I will say Ruger should have stopped when they were ahead with the GEN 2 which was their DAO. They then went to the LCPll which compared to the KELTEC did nothing but introduce problems that never existed before and totally butchered the Trigger. A ridiculous trigger and which is one I would not ever carry as a EDC.
Later I bought the P32. One of the best buys dollar for dollar I have spent. Something actually likable in the more crud, utilitarian style. All Parts for the gun are easy to purchase and repair if necessary and low cost. There are times when I will buy Two of the same guns that I especially like. If I come across another P32 at a decent price, I going to jump on it. (They are sold OUT every where)
And since I like 380's, if I find a Keltec, I am going to purchase one. If they are as good as the P32, then they are way ahead of the LCPll. (and the Keltec fans love them)
Is Ruger ahead in Sales? Lol, with the amount of advertising they do and money spent on ads, they should be.

I did go against my best judgement and buy a LCPll 22cal. Yep, should have listened to my inner self. I am hoping Keltec comes out with a 22.cal like the P32! Dang that would be sweet!

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 27, 2021 at 12:03 AM.
Old July 27, 2021, 12:48 AM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Oh-what Ruger did was marketing genius!

I have 4 P32s and a P3AT.
Old July 29, 2021, 07:32 AM   #10
mpolk

Bash Ruger all you want but the fact remains, Ruger is a solvent profitable American gun company. They don't necessarily make pretty guns but they make good guns. I think their 1911's are excellent production 1911's. Their marketing is excellent. As far as copying other's designs, most have. I have an original after recall LCP and I did put an aftermarket trigger in it but still goes bang every time. My SR22 is a blast to shoot and is my wife's favorite. My MarkIII and my 22/45's are outstanding guns. My LCPII 22 has had zero issues and my wife loves it too. My SR9c is one of my most accurate handguns. I have Sig's, Springfield's, Beretta's, CZ's, FN's and Colt's also. I personally really like the Ruger's and the Ruger company. Again, this is JMHO.
Old July 29, 2021, 09:22 AM   #11
Carl the Floor Walker

No one is bashing Ruger. I own The LCP ll 22cal, a Ruger Blackhawk, SR9C, SR22. LCR 9mm, LCR22 and a LCP Gen 2. (have owned many LCP's) and have owned three LC9s.
The LCP in my opinion is just a particular model. And not the best built firearm in class. And this is from a extensive amount of time and ammo shooting different 380's since the LCP first came out.
And I agree, the LCP is heavily Marketed. I would be that is the biggest COST of manufacturing this gun. These guns have a lot of returns and Ruger will repair or replace the many millions they sell. And you can bet that cost is also built into the gun.

PS You will hear nothing but praise from me on the LCR's, SR9C. They are a class act IMO. But the LCP is not on the list. Sorry.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 29, 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old July 29, 2021, 12:04 PM   #12
mpolk

Yep I have the LCRx-22, SP101-357 and two Single Six revolvers(1959 and 2014 convertible) and all are great. The trigger on LCRx-22 is a bit heavy.