The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 26, 2021, 10:59 PM   #76
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
You'd be well advised to save your snarky remarks for another forum; personal attacks don't sit well here.
the irony
Old July 27, 2021, 12:32 AM   #77
357 Python

I try not to leave a gun of any type in my truck. Only if I end up somewhere where I can't take my gun inside will I leave it (reluctantly). My truck has a lockable container. The gun I carry and may be forced to leave in my truck could range from a Beretta 92, Colt Series 70 MK IV Gov't, S&W model 10, on up to a Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag.. As you can guess I like to keep those handy, just in case.
Old July 27, 2021, 02:38 AM   #78
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
Why do you assume that I think the fact that a gun was stolen makes a difference?

Where did I say that? The topic of this discussion is storing guns unsecured in your car not canned Lima Beans.

I dunno, dgludwig picked up on it too but whatever, I guess it’s just the “you bear some of the responsibility” part that has well, maybe just me, thinking you’re saying we’re part of the blame of our vehicle gets broke into and it’s a gun that’s stolen but it doesn’t matter either way regardless because whatever’s in your vehicle that gets stolen is more than likely going to have to get replaced so it doesn’t matter if ifs a gun or whatever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 27, 2021, 04:01 AM   #79
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
I dunno, dgludwig picked up on it too but whatever, I guess it’s just the “you bear some of the responsibility” part that has well, maybe just me, thinking you’re saying we’re part of the blame of our vehicle gets broke into and it’s a gun that’s stolen but it doesn’t matter either way regardless because whatever’s in your vehicle that gets stolen is more than likely going to have to get replaced so it doesn’t matter if ifs a gun or whatever it is.

But if what's stolen from your car is a gun it's more likely to be used in another crime. Maybe Ithe convenience store clerk who ends up with it in their face at 3 in the morning would it rather you had taken some secondary measures to secure it.

Last edited by Moonglum; July 27, 2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 27, 2021, 04:53 AM   #80
shurshot

"But itf whats stolen from your car is a gun it's more likely to be used in another crime. Maybe Ithe convenience store clerk who ends up with it in their face at 3 in the morning would it rather you had taken some secondary measures to secure it." (Moonglum)

EXACTLY! Perfect example Moon!

We are not discussing CD's, a wallet or X-mass gifts being left in a vehicle and subsequently stolen... but a GUN.

Do some of you really want to risk having your gun stolen by some degenerate or juvenile delinquent and used in a drive by shooting or a holdup, or used against an innocent child or an LEO?

Knowing the world we currently live in (rising crime rates and VERY little accountability) and those who seek to make examples of individuals in order to further their political Agenda, it's NOT a good idea to leave one's gun in a vehicle.

At the very least... get a secure lockbox that cables & chains to the vehicle!

Last edited by shurshot; July 27, 2021 at 05:54 AM.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:07 AM   #81
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
But itf whats stolen from your car is a gun it's more likely to be used in another crime. Maybe Ithe convenience store clerk who ends up with it in their face at 3 in the morning would it rather you had taken some secondary measures to secure it.

That’s all very true but still, unless somebody knows you’re keeping a gun in your car, you can’t blame that person for their car getting broke into by a lowlife thief, especially if they’ve at least taken the time to store it in a good quality safe. That’s all I’m saying. If you’re gonna leave a gun in your car, at least take the time to secure it really well or find a really good hiding place for it because the glove box under the seat or just in the console only works when you’re in the vehicle with it.

Not only that, if you really are that concerned about theft of your whole car, it would probably be in your best interest to do whatever you can with some kind of theft alarm that works a lot like the GM OnStar system or the SiriusXM Guardian system in the Chrysler vehicles to where if your vehicle gets broken into or stolen, you’ll get an email or a text or whatever and actually have a way to track it. Or just better yet if you live in an area that is known for a lot of break-ins, don’t leave it in your car at all.

Old July 27, 2021, 08:09 AM   #82
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
"But itf whats stolen from your car is a gun it's more likely to be used in another crime. Maybe Ithe convenience store clerk who ends up with it in their face at 3 in the morning would it rather you had taken some secondary measures to secure it." (Moonglum)

EXACTLY! Perfect example Moon!

We are not discussing CD's, a wallet or X-mass gifts being left in a vehicle and subsequently stolen... but a GUN.

Do some of you really want to risk having your gun stolen by some degenerate or juvenile delinquent and used in a drive by shooting or a holdup, or used against an innocent child or an LEO?

Knowing the world we currently live in (rising crime rates and VERY little accountability) and those who seek to make examples of individuals in order to further their political Agenda, it's NOT a good idea to leave one's gun in a vehicle.

At the very least... get a secure lockbox that cables & chains to the vehicle!

Again, just as your last sentence says; if you’re going to do this, at least secure it in a good safe.

Old July 27, 2021, 08:37 AM   #83
FAS1

Last year we had a couple of thieves go through a nice neighborhood (old money) here in San Antonio pulling on door handles for prizes. They got plenty as the news reported several guns stolen from unlocked cars.

In theory your unlocked car is the same as your unlocked home and no one is allowed inside without your invitation. Reality tells us that you have to implement additional strategies (at your expense) to protect your family and stuff.

We buy uninsured motorist insurance to protect us from idiots, home alarms, cameras, fancy locks, home safes, insurance, all due to others. Seems reasonable to at least lock your car doors and don't leave valuables inside. I don't even leave my Oakley sunglasses in there over night.

As I mentioned earlier about having a safe for your handgun (primarily for GFZ's), a $30 cabled clamshell container made of 18GA steel and the cheapest lock on the planet is not a safe. They will help some, but those will only deter the most basic smash and grab thief that doesn't have a screwdriver of pair of dikes in his pocket. You have to take it a little more serious than that if you need to leave your gun in your car on a regular basis.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:45 AM   #84
Mike Irwin
Staff

If you do keep a gun in your car, in my opinion it's highly irresponsible and more than a little stupid to not invest in something as simple as one of these.

You can get them from multiple outlets by multiple manufacturers, and most are under $40.

I have a version by Liberty in my car. Flatter than this. Large enough to hold my carry gun and some traveling money.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:49 AM   #85
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Locked cars are easily broken into.
So are "safes" that are in cars.
Maybe we should have a safe for the safe that holds the gun inside the locked car (that probably has an alarm anyway.)
How secure is "secure?""

Yes, locked cars are easily broken into.

A car gun safe is generally a lot more difficult to break into than a car.

As with most home burglaries, the intruder wants in and out quickly, and they don't want to draw attention to themselves.

Getting into a car safe takes time that most burglars don't want to spend.

No, no safe, either a car or a home safe, is immune to being breached. They do, however, provide another layer of security.

What you seem to be suggesting, however, is the "well, it won't stop 100% of people who might break into my car, so why bother?"

That's cavalier, stupid, short sighted, and irresponsible as hell.

Old July 27, 2021, 10:01 AM   #86
dgludwig

Quote:
Did you leave the keys in it?
What's the basis for this question? What if he did? Would such an act of maybe forgetfulness make him in any way responsible for the theft, criminal or otherwise? Blaming the victim for acts committed by criminals has long roots in this country when it comes to leftists (see earlier references in this thread to the Memphis despots) making the rules and changing the culture. It wasn't that long ago when "don't help a boy go wrong" was a mantra blaming the driver of a car who had the audacity to leave his keys in the ignition when some young thug stole it.
Old July 27, 2021, 10:09 AM   #87
dgludwig

Quote:
the irony
"Irony" implies that I committed the same behavior I was critical of in this thread. Where did that happen?
Old July 27, 2021, 10:15 AM   #88
Moonglum

Quote:
What's the basis for this question? What if he did? Would such an act of maybe forgetfulness make him in any way responsible for the theft, criminal or otherwise? Blaming the victim for acts committed by criminals has long roots in this country when it comes to leftists (see earlier references in this thread to the Memphis despots) making the rules and changing the culture. It wasn't that long ago when "don't help a boy go wrong" was a mantra blaming the driver of a car who had the audacity to leave his keys in the ignition when some young thug stole it.
If you're "short sighted" enough to leave your keys in the car you're kinda asking to lose your car.

Personal responsibility is a thing dude
Old July 27, 2021, 10:20 AM   #89
dgludwig

Quote:
You can get them from multiple outlets by multiple manufacturers, and most are under $40.

I have a version by Liberty in my car.
I like this idea. When you say "multiple outlets", would Home Depot or its ilk carry them? Thanks.
Old July 27, 2021, 10:23 AM   #90
Moonglum

Quote:
I like this idea. When you say "multiple outlets", would Home Depot or its ilk carry them? Thanks.
Fleabay and its ilk carry them
Old July 27, 2021, 10:25 AM   #91
shurshot

"Did you leave the keys in it?"

"What's the basis for this question? What if he did? Would such an act of maybe forgetfulness make him in any way responsible for the theft, criminal or otherwise?"
(DGludwig)

YES!!! If you leave your keys in the ignition, even if you "forgot", you DO bear some responsibility if a kid steals your vehicle (and or weapon in said vehicle). You made it easier for them. Ultimately, yes, the kid is in the wrong for the actual theft, but you made it FAR easier for them by leaving the keys in the ignition (and or gun in the armrest!). One forgetting the keys in the car (or leaving a gun in the car), is NOT an excuse for being irresponsible, anymore than a person "forgetting" a newborn in the car seat, with windows rolled up on a hot day and then going into work.
Old July 27, 2021, 10:26 AM   #92
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
If you do keep a gun in your car, in my opinion it's highly irresponsible and more than a little stupid to not invest in something as simple as one of these.

I have a version by Liberty in my car. Flatter than this. Large enough to hold my carry gun and some traveling money.

That’s why I spared no expense on a 12 gauge steel box that goes down in my center console under the armrest that has a 1-15 digit electronic push button lock on it.

Old July 27, 2021, 10:27 AM   #93
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's tone it down, Gentlemen. This thread is getting a bit heated and personal.

If it doesn't stop, I'll close the thread.

If it escalates, I'll take additional actions, as necessary.

Old July 27, 2021, 10:29 AM   #94
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
"Locked cars are easily broken into.
So are "safes" that are in cars.
Maybe we should have a safe for the safe that holds the gun inside the locked car (that probably has an alarm anyway.)
How secure is "secure?""

Yes, locked cars are easily broken into.

A car gun safe is generally a lot more difficult to break into than a car.

As with most home burglaries, the intruder wants in and out quickly, and they don't want to draw attention to themselves.

Getting into a car safe takes time that most burglars don't want to spend.

No, no safe, either a car or a home safe, is immune to being breached. They do, however, provide another layer of security.

What you seem to be suggesting, however, is the "well, it won't stop 100% of people who might break into my car, so why bother?"

That's cavalier, stupid, short sighted, and irresponsible as hell.

Agreed. Well, maybe a 15,000 dollar Liberty home safe but yes, safes are just another layer of security but shouldn’t be skimped on just because they’re not %100 invincible.

Old July 27, 2021, 10:35 AM   #95
Moonglum

Depending on your car you can buy a fitted console safe that bolts in. To me it's cheap insurance.

Before I say the next thing I want to be clear I'm not talking about having to leave your gun in your car briefly because you're entering an NPE. I'm specifically talking about someone who stores a gun (as in that's where it lives) in their car long term and takes no effort beyond locking the car doors to secure it.

I'm sorry but if you know there's a risk and you could have done a minor thing to prevent it and you didn't it's on you.
Old July 27, 2021, 01:04 PM   #96
Bill DeShivs

Look- I agree that measures should be taken for storing a gun in your car. My car is garaged most of the time, and I don't travel much.

But my point is that people (and it's obvious here) think victims are responsible for criminal's actions- kind of like the girl that was "asking for it" when she was raped because she dressed seductively. This is just plain wrong.
Old July 27, 2021, 01:27 PM   #97
shurshot

"But my point is that people (and it's obvious here) think victims are responsible for criminal's actions- kind of like the girl that was "asking for it" when she was raped because she dressed seductively. This is just plain wrong".

Bill, where was that posted, that "victim's are responsible for criminals actions"? I must have missed it. I don't think anyone stated or even implied that they thought that.

What I DID read, and implied myself, is that gun owners have a responsibility to keep guns secured and not leave them where they can be easily accessed (like in a vehicle with glass windows and flimsy locks). It's a no brainer, or at least it should be.

Last edited by shurshot; July 27, 2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old July 27, 2021, 02:18 PM   #98
Mike Irwin
Staff

"But my point is that people (and it's obvious here) think victims are responsible for criminal's actions"

Responsible for?

As far as I can tell you're the only one who is saying, or even alluding, to that.

What others are saying, though, is that you can (and often do) have a degree of culpable negligence in a criminal's act.

Leave your keys in the car? Yeah, you have culpability in the actions of the criminal, and frequently, your insurance company will let you know that.

Old July 27, 2021, 03:06 PM   #99
peacefulgary

I'm in the camp of "Don't leave firearms in unattended vehicles".
It's just dumb IMO.
Old July 27, 2021, 04:42 PM   #100
Carmady

I have an attached garage, and while I don't think it be would careless on my part to leave a firearm in a vehicle in a locked attached garage, I do firmly believe that it would be stupid.

Why would it be stupid?

Because the guy who now has the gun in his possession has already B&Ed into the garage (house), and I think it would be stupid to supply him with a firearm before he gets into the house.

Leaving cookies for Santa is one thing; leaving guns for criminals is something else.