The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 25, 2021, 09:12 AM   #26
Fishbed77

That 92 Combat is hot.
Old July 25, 2021, 01:44 PM   #27
Desmosedici

Absolutely beautiful pictures of some very attractive guns. As my user names suggests, I'm a fan of Italian art. Which the 92's are, to me.
Old July 25, 2021, 03:52 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
seals dumped the 92f in 1990 due to single rail cracking issues. they went to the 226.
The issue was slide breakage, not rail cracking. It was traced to a metallurgical problem that is no longer an issue.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/10/06...ok-at-the-data

Here's an interesting official document that touches on the topic before the metallurgical issue was discovered and before the "S" mod had been implemented.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/t-nsiad-88-46.pdf

Quote:
Don't shoot 9mm ammunition specifically made for submachine guns, and you can avoid eating the slide.
The "S" modification introduced in the 1980s after the issue with the slide breakage was noted will prevent the slide coming off the gun even if the slide does break. It is now standard on all 92/96 series pistols and has been for decades.
Old July 26, 2021, 07:55 PM   #29
101combatvet

My 92FS has over 34,000 through it. It still shoots like it was new out of the box.
Old July 26, 2021, 08:50 PM   #30
chadio

In the process of installing thin Vertec grips on mine (not as easy as it sounds). My hands are average and the factory grips are too much wide, like gripping the fat end of a baseball bat. The 92 is a sexy bitch and worth the effort ... plus, a long - term fan of Beretta!!!
Old July 26, 2021, 11:53 PM   #31
357 Python

Love my Beretta 92F. It was given to me as a Christmas present in the mid 1980s. I carried it as an Armed Security Officer before I became a Dept. of the Army Civilian Police Officer. There we were first issued S&W 64s then switched to the Beretta. I was sent to the Beretta factory for an Armorers course and was able to make a few changes to my personal Beretta. Now retired from federal service I am back in private security and will be qualifying with my old Beretta in a couple of weeks. I have 100% faith in the Beretta. So much so I teamed it up with a CX4 Storm carbine as a home defense duo.
Old July 28, 2021, 05:20 PM   #32
peacefulgary

I don't dislike the 92, and I shoot it very well, but IMHO it's just too darn big and bulky for a 9mm.
Old July 28, 2021, 06:04 PM   #33
TunnelRat

I very much enjoy shooting my 92A1. I spent years being a SIG fanboy and thinking the Beretta was subpar with little hands on experience. I actually prefer the Beretta now. I’ve added some LTT parts and some Beretta parts as well and it’s probably my favorite 9mm to shoot. My only regret is I didn’t tape the slide when I did a sight install and the pusher marred up the slide failed easily. If someone has a recommendation for a refinish I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 28, 2021, 07:08 PM   #34
bac1023

Great collection

I'm not a Beretta 92 fanatic, but I like the high end models.

Old July 28, 2021, 07:09 PM   #35
bac1023

Quote:
I don't dislike the 92, and I shoot it very well, but IMHO it's just too darn big and bulky for a 9mm.
I never quite understood that reasoning, but to each their own. Its a full size gun, nothing more. Most don't even have steel frames.
Old July 29, 2021, 11:58 AM   #36
Pumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I very much enjoy shooting my 92A1. I spent years being a SIG fanboy and thinking the Beretta was subpar with little hands on experience. I actually prefer the Beretta now. I’ve added some LTT parts and some Beretta parts as well and it’s probably my favorite 9mm to shoot. My only regret is I didn’t tape the slide when I did a sight install and the pusher marred up the slide failed easily. If someone has a recommendation for a refinish I’m all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was the same, no regrets, I love my Berettas!
Old August 1, 2021, 09:03 AM   #37
Wag

Bought my first 92FS and four mags from a guy named Lewiston on this forum. Great guy to work with and the pistol is absolutely fantastic. I love shooting it and it's my daily carry.

A few days after I picked it up from the FFL, someone else on this forum sold me nine mags for it and they've been fine as well.

A few years ago, I finally bought a 96A1 and it's a pretty zippy gun, also very nice.

I'd collect them all if I had the $$ to buy that much firepower!

--Wag--
Old August 15, 2021, 09:35 AM   #38
FairWarning

Beauties. I am currently on the hunt for an M9A3 and was hoping prices would have come down by now, but of course circumstances are not favorable at the moment. It really is the ultimate evolution of the 92 concept to date, although not as beautiful as the classics

And again, when I finally get my A3, it will be made in Italia.
Old August 16, 2021, 04:14 PM   #39
dgludwig

I have more than a few 9mm auto pistols but one of my favorites is my Beretta 92 FS. The only beef I have with it is the permanently affixed front sight. I wish it at least was mounted in a dovetail, like some variants of the 92 are.
In terms of the pistol being "...too darn big and bulky for a 9mm"; I agree with bac1023, "...it's a full size gun, nothing more."
Old August 21, 2021, 05:50 AM   #40
FairWarning

Quote:
I have more than a few 9mm auto pistols but one of my favorites is my Beretta 92 FS. The only beef I have with it is the permanently affixed front sight. I wish it at least was mounted in a dovetail, like some variants of the 92 are.
In terms of the pistol being "...too darn big and bulky for a 9mm"; I agree with bac1023, "...it's a full size gun, nothing more."
I just recently decided to get night sights for my classic 92FS and then realized the same about the front sight----no dice. Oh well, I will deal with that with I eventually pick up the M9A3 anyway. The classic 92 is SO easy for me to shoot and has such a nice feel of true quality when racking the slide.

I have no doubt the A3 pricing would have come down by now if we were living in normal times, although of course we are not. Especially for ammo and certain tactical (and tacticool) firearms which have become both very rare and expensive...
Old August 21, 2021, 07:39 AM   #41
101combatvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I never quite understood that reasoning, but to each their own. Its a full size gun, nothing more. Most don't even have steel frames.
For the guy with little fingers.
Old September 11, 2021, 12:36 PM   #42
eviltravis

Nice collection.
Old September 12, 2021, 12:43 PM   #43
SSGN-Doc

1992 Beretta 92 FS was the first centerfire auto loader I ever bought. Shot lots of M9s during my Navy days.

Good pistols.
Old September 13, 2021, 03:59 PM   #44
BornFighting88

All of this… pure filth. I am not the worlds biggest Beretta fanboy, but they make some nice firearms. I wouldn’t personally own a 92…. Maybe a 96, but those still look freakin sweet!!
Old September 14, 2021, 12:13 AM   #45
jmstr

I recently picked up my first Beretta 92: a 92G-SD. I've thrown a Langdon Tactical Trigger job in a bag into it, and like the feel.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet, but it feels suprisingly good.

That said, I think I still like the feel of my Taurus PT99AF a bit more, due to the frame safety only.

BTW [Jetinteriorguy and Hawg], the PT99AF made before 1991 [or 1990?] is frame safety only.
After 1991, the design changed to decocker on all of the Taurus PTseries.

The difference in PT92 vs PT99 is not decocker, but adjustable sights on the PT99.

Taller front sight and adjustable rear.

PT92 is more like the Beretta front sight that is part of the slide.
Old September 14, 2021, 12:56 AM   #46
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
1992 Beretta 92 FS was the first centerfire auto loader I ever bought.
I don't remember the year, but same here. Mine was a stainless steel version. I sold that gun after owning it for a few years, but I missed it enough that I finally bought another.
Old September 14, 2021, 05:03 AM   #47
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmstr View Post
I recently picked up my first Beretta 92: a 92G-SD. I've thrown a Langdon Tactical Trigger job in a bag into it, and like the feel.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it much yet, but it feels suprisingly good.

That said, I think I still like the feel of my Taurus PT99AF a bit more, due to the frame safety only.

BTW [Jetinteriorguy and Hawg], the PT99AF made before 1991 [or 1990?] is frame safety only.
After 1991, the design changed to decocker on all of the Taurus PTseries.

The difference in PT92 vs PT99 is not decocker, but adjustable sights on the PT99.

Taller front sight and adjustable rear.

PT92 is more like the Beretta front sight that is part of the slide.
Nice to know, thanks.