The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 13, 2021, 06:32 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Browning High Power - reassembly???

OK, how the J. B. Moses, do you get the slide release pin back in? I had not given my H/P much love over the past few years, just let it be a "safe queen". But, what a great day to clean a few of my "gadgets". Disassembly didn't start well. Had a tussel getting the slide release pin out of the frame; but succeded. All the parts cleaned up well and all went together like a champ. Until: I came to the slide release arm. I could not get it to seat back into the frame. When inserted into the hole it should just slide right back in, like a 1911 --- yes? The detent closest to the hammer just won't slide in flush. What is the technique? I did review the owner's manual but it was not helpful.
Old March 13, 2021, 07:10 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarFBear View Post
OK, how the J. B. Moses, do you get the slide release pin back in? I had not given my H/P much love over the past few years, just let it be a "safe queen". But, what a great day to clean a few of my "gadgets". Disassembly didn't start well. Had a tussel getting the slide release pin out of the frame; but succeded. All the parts cleaned up well and all went together like a champ. Until: I came to the slide release arm. I could not get it to seat back into the frame. When inserted into the hole it should just slide right back in, like a 1911 --- yes? The detent closest to the hammer just won't slide in flush. What is the technique? I did review the owner's manual but it was not helpful.
There are two "grooves" milled into the slide. One is where the safety engages the slide when cocked and locked. To take the slide release out and back in, the safety needs to be locked into the groove closest to the muzzle (locks the rearward) not the rear one. The slide release should go right in without any problem.

If that does not help you, then there is something else wrong...like trying to get it back together with a magazine inserted.

Addendum: Also, if the slide release pin will not go back in, you may have put the recoil spring guide in its recess in the barrel lug upside down...which is the most likely problem.

Last edited by dahermit; March 14, 2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old March 14, 2021, 12:29 AM   #3
51cskipper

Here's a link to a short demo by Brownells:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jmq3siCyIPk
Old March 14, 2021, 02:18 AM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
if the slide release pin will not go back in, you may have put the recoil spring guide in its recess in the barrel lug upside down
Been there, done that.
Old March 14, 2021, 12:12 PM   #5
ammo.crafter

DaHermit is absolutely correct.

I just disassembled my BHP and reassembled per DaHermit;perfect assembly.
Old March 14, 2021, 01:36 PM   #6
PolarFBear

Thanks; Browning High Power

To all. Thanks for the replies. It's EASY when you know how. Set the 2nd safety notch and it slipped right in. I has probably been 5+ years since I've taken the HP down for cleaning. It WAS clean just time to re-lube. I had forgotten about slipping it into the "notch". Got to U-tube and watched a few video's. As and old "fart" I am not tuned in to Youtube so very much. High Power, cleaned, lubed and back in the safe.