The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 21, 2023, 08:06 AM   #1
rms65

Please help me find a revolver or three for the wife.

I'm another NY refugee that just got a place in Arkansas. There's plenty of room for shooting and a little homestead. Being a (conservative) New Yorker the rest of my life, I know almost nothing about handguns. My wife however has a real interest in handguns. She's even rented some at ranges during her travels. She's determined that she likes revolvers over automatics. She also likes to hike, loves to garden and hates snakes.

I want to get her a small revolver for snakes that she can keep in her pocket for gardening and walking around the property. I'm thinking 22?

I also want to get her a small a small revolver for two legged snakes outside the property. I'm thinking 38spl/357?

I'm wondering if these first two can be done by one revolver.

Since she likes to shoot revolvers for fun I'd definitely like to get her something nice, that's full sized and shoots both double and single action. Not sure which caliber I'm thinking low recoiling centerfire. Not as anemic as 22lr but something fun to shoot plates with and alot. Not sure on caliber. Readily available and cheap is preferred for something that will be shot a lot.

I know this is a real can of worms to open. I don't expect serious in depth information on all the models that might work for each scenario. I'm looking more for general selection guidelines that might be helpful. Things like caliber, barrel length and brands to look for and stay away from. I look on GunBroker.com and there's literally thousands of pistols in each caliber that range from $160 to over 2k. I'm looking to narrow down my choices a bit. I'm not made of money but I'll spend money when needed. I'm figuring I'm ok if the guns average in the $600 range.

Thank you very much
Ron
Old January 21, 2023, 08:21 AM   #2
Skippy

Revolvers are easy to shoot but can be difficult to shoot accurately.

If she's shot enough to prefer revolvers over semiautomatics she probably has a better idea of what she'd like than any of us here. Let her decide.

A .38Special would cover more varieties of varmints than .22LR but with more recoil and pesos per round. That said, the .22 may be a good place to start. Again, let her decide.

A heavier gun is easier to shoot than a lighter gun. If she's not going to carry it routinely, that could be her better option. A longer barrel is more accurate to shoot than a snub. Again, let her decide.

Old January 21, 2023, 09:01 AM   #3
Nathan

Get her a 3” GP100 or 4” S&W 13…..or maybe a J-frame size like a model 60 3”.

Then load it with snake shot for round 1….the remaining rounds would be 38 special or 38 +p.

To me, the key would be getting her a holster she can live with. The holster is key because it can support the weight better than pocket carry. A chest holster would be ideal or maybe a 4 o’clock position.

S&W 13 3” Handguns Mag Article

Last edited by Nathan; January 21, 2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old January 21, 2023, 11:20 AM   #4
joelaw99

Lightweight 38 spl

S&w 642
Old January 21, 2023, 11:21 AM   #5
rms65

Thanks Nathan and Skippy. I spoke with her today about her preferences which turned out different than I expected.

Her preference for a fun target/plinking revolver would be a 22LR or 22LR/WMR convertible with a 6" barrel. She wants it to shoot both single and double action.

For snakes and pests of all kinds she wants a 38spl with a 4" barrel. She plans on wearing a holster on property and will have enough room for it in a special purse. Since it won't be shot terribly often she wants it pretty with pearl styled grips and stainless. I know the OE grips can probably be changed out for pearl later.

So that's her input and we've managed to narrow it down to two pistols. Skippy was right about asking her. I would have gotten her completely wrong gifts.

Thanks all
Old January 21, 2023, 12:37 PM   #6
Skippy

https://www.rockislandauction.com/de...irds-head-grip

Old January 21, 2023, 12:45 PM   #7
mk70ss

If she’s shot and rented guns before….take her to the gun store and let her pick what works for her.
Old January 21, 2023, 01:32 PM   #8
Pahoo

My Compliments

Quote:
Not at all possible and that leaves the option of buying at "least" two or more. I'm a Conservative, so that makes me "cheap".

I like the way you think and for now, may I suggest the folowing:
On the .38 spl, might want to take a looke at the new Taurus's.
On the garden fun plinker/varmint' ;Look at the Heritage line with dual cylinders .22LR and .22WMR. ....

I really think that whatever you buy, you will make good choices. ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; January 21, 2023 at 02:27 PM.
Old January 21, 2023, 02:10 PM   #9
Reloadron

Quote:
I want to get her a small revolver for snakes that she can keep in her pocket for gardening and walking around the property. I'm thinking 22?

I also want to get her a small a small revolver for two legged snakes outside the property. I'm thinking 38spl/357?

With that in mind I would likely opt for a .38 Special revolver with a 2" barrel that she is comfortable with. While a .22 LR using birdshot is suitable for things like snakes in the garden I would place more faith in a .38 Special for larger two legged snakes which walk among us. Most important is that she be comfortable with the choice.

Just My Take
Ron
Old January 21, 2023, 02:17 PM   #10
AzShooter

You can't go wrong with a Smith & Wesson 617. I've found them on line for around $800 and are well worth it.

RimfireCentral trading post has one for $ 695 so see if it's still available.
Old January 21, 2023, 02:50 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Unless she is a big woman, you won't find a D/A .22 revolver small enough to carry in her pocket. They are all the same size as the small .38s.
Old January 21, 2023, 03:01 PM   #12
rms65

Important update to consider

Some people missed some additional information past the first post. No biggie. I do it all the time. Please take note.

Her preference for a fun target/plinking revolver would be a 22LR or 22LR/WMR convertible with a 6" barrel. She wants it to shoot both single and double action.

For snakes and pests of all kinds she wants a 38spl with a 4" barrel. She plans on wearing a holster on property and will have enough room for it in a special purse. Since it won't be shot terribly often she wants it pretty with pearl styled grips and stainless. I know the OE grips can probably be changed out for pearl later.

Thanks all
Old January 21, 2023, 03:30 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Do you have a budget? That makes a big difference.

If money is no object, then by all means go for a S&W or a Colt. There should be no problem finding aftermarket grips for those.

For the DOUBLE ACTION .22/.22WMR, in the budget camp I would take a serious look at this one:
https://rockislandarmoryusa.com/al22...ess-22mag-8rd/

The only problem is that it's not a convertible. The .22 Magnum case is a larger diameter than .22 LR, so any .22LR/.22WMR convertible pistol has to come with two cylinders. That's easy with a single action only, like the cheap Heritage six shooters and the Ruger Single Six, but it's not as common with double action revolvers.

With larger calibers, a .357 Magnum can also fire .38 Special, and a .44 Magnum can also fire .44 Special. No spare cylinder required. For carrying around the homestead, the Rock Island AL22M would be an excellent choice (and they make snake shot in .22 Magnum), but .22 Magnum is expensive for plinking.

Something else to consider: split the difference between .22 and .38. Revolvers chambered in .327 Federal Magnum can actually fire five different cartridges, ranging in power from mild to wild. She can shoot the mild stuff for plinking and carry .32 FedMag for serious self-defense.
Jeepaholic
Old January 21, 2023, 05:15 PM   #14
Jim Watson

Quote:

For snakes and pests of all kinds she wants a 38spl with a 4" barrel.
The SPECIFICATIONS of a Taurus Tracker 992 .22/.22 and Defender 856 .38 are just about right.
Taurus QUALITY seems up and down.

S&W K .22 (Model 17 after 1957) and Combat Masterpiece .38 (Model 15 blue or 67 stainless) are exactly right but they are only available on the used market, condition and price are all over the place.
Old January 21, 2023, 05:21 PM   #15
hannstv

A Ruger SP101 with a 3 in barrel is a good all around revolver. Ratshoot followed by a few 38 +P for around the home. Full power 357 when hiking or strolling in the woods.
Old January 22, 2023, 04:40 AM   #16
TruthTellers

For snakes and pests around the property I'd say look at North American Arms or if size isn't a concern a Heritage Rough Rider or Ruger Wrangler.

The only issue with the .22 single actions is the fixed sights can be pretty tough to see and not even be close to the POI. If she'd rather have adjustable sights that she can move the POA to the POI, then I'd suggest looking at a Charter Arms 4 inch or a 3 inch Ruger LCRx.

I normally don't recommend Charter because they've got issues lately, but for a garden gun they'll be good enough and have good customer service.

For 2 legged vermin a Taurus .38 or 9mm revolver would suffice. IDK how .38 ammo is right now, but 9mm is available. If you go with the Charter .22 and a Taurus .38 or 9mm you're looking at probably $700 total.
Old January 22, 2023, 07:19 AM   #17
jetinteriorguy

Look for a nice S&W model 67 or model 15. Great balance, great triggers, adjustable sights, very accurate, and easy to carry. If you feel the absolute need for the .357mag option a nice 4” Model 19 would do the trick.
Old January 22, 2023, 07:59 AM   #18
rms65

Thanks all since we're down to two revolvers I'm willing to up the budget to 800 each. I'd prefer new because I've had bad luck buying used rifles.

Recap She wants

Pistol 1 : for self defense from from snakes to crooks. Holstered on property, pocket book off property = 4" 38 special preferably a stainless one that can shoot plus 9 or 357 mag.

Pistol 2 : for fun target shooting both paper and plates = 6" 22 caliber that shoots both single and double action with good adjustable sights.

Budget is flexible but I'd prefer to spend under $1600 total (for both guns).
I really prefer to buy new.
Thanks
Old January 22, 2023, 09:44 AM   #19
John D

A S&W model 10 is an ideal revolver - my wife has one and loves it. Shoots snake loads and, with the proper ammo, will handle self-defense needs. Tried and true, plus has a great trigger
Old January 22, 2023, 12:09 PM   #20
stagpanther

I once dated a petit blonde (about 5' tall) and early on one day when she went to her purse to find her make-up kit--out slid a chrome plated pearl handled 1911 in 45 acp. Full magazine with one in the chamber ready to go. It went well with her jewelry--and she said she knew how to use it. I took her word for it. I know this is about a revolver--my point is don't underestimate what a lady can handle.
Old January 22, 2023, 01:27 PM   #21
P Flados

I know you indicated 4" for the 38 Sp, but most new 4" revolvers are a tad large and/or heavy for carry. Many of the models in this class are being marketed more for a specific class of target shooting.

Even the smaller guns like the SP-101 reflect the above (I have a 4.2" in 327).

When I took my wife shopping she was not really happy with anything in the 4" category. Then she picked up a 3" LCRx and it came home with us. The original black grips came off and purple ones went on. It is a very light gun (light is nice for carry, but use 130 gr or low power wadcutter ammo for practice). It is a very durable and trouble free gun with a good trigger. The 3" barrel is long enough to be fun to shoot at the range.

https://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

I am not suggest you give up on 4" options, but am suggesting that you see if can do some "side by side" comparison with something in the 3" range.

There are some similar 3" guns from other makers, but I am biased given how much we like the LCRx.
Old January 22, 2023, 02:12 PM   #22
Ricklin

DA trigger

Be wary when selecting the .22, a small frame size and the healthy whack required for rimfire ignition make for a bad combination. The J frame size .22's tend to be two men and a boy double action triggers. IE: 12 Lbs. or more. That trigger pull relegates them to shooting single action 90% of the time.
All the trigger jobs in the world can't fix what is a geometry problem. If your lady insists on shooting double action I would lean toward a larger revolver.
Old January 22, 2023, 02:52 PM   #23
rms65

I wish this forum had like buttons so I could thank you all for your input.

Ricklin she wants a full sized 22 revolver for target shooting. I'm sure there has to be a full sized 22 revolver with a good trigger.

P Flados We won't rule out the 3" 357/38 revolver but I can't see how 1 inch more barrel would make a weight an issue if she's owb holstering it or keeping it in a big purse/shoulder bag.
Old January 22, 2023, 03:18 PM   #24
Ricklin

Good deal, have her try D/A dry fire with snap caps for guns you are considering. Other than the S+W kit guns, what else is on the market? Nothing against the S+W but they are pretty dear.
Old January 22, 2023, 03:39 PM   #25
Pahoo

Kimber K6S or variant

Quote:
Budget is flexible but I'd prefer to spend under $1600 total (for both guns). I really prefer to buy new. Thanks
WOW, in that case, take a hard look at the new Kimber K6S or variants. In MHO, it is the finest new revolver off the shelf and that is saying alot. It's a 6-shot, not 5-shot .38/357. It's going to cost you but you willl have more that enough change, for the 22LR/22WMR. Good luck to you and your spouse. ......

Be Safe !!!