The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 28, 2022, 04:18 PM   #1
tangolima

Preloading bipod

To be or not to be?

I was told preloading (pushing rifle forward) the bipod keeps it from hopping. It took me some doing to figure out how it works, as the guy who told me this hadn't a clue.

Do you preload? Does the preload force affects the POI? Does bipod hopping affect group size?

I haven't done much bipod shooting. I mostly rest the rifle on stand or bag. I don't try to hold down the forearm. Even for offhand shooting, I don't grab on to the forearm. But rather I let it raise on its own.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; October 28, 2022 at 05:39 PM.
Old October 28, 2022, 04:47 PM   #2
HiBC

My brother uses a bipod on his AR-10 T. He shoots it very well. He preloads.
Old October 28, 2022, 06:15 PM   #3
zeke

I preload them, but lightly. Am don't bearing down on them. For the purposes they are used for, all my accuracy guns have bipods used with a rear bag (if at distance)
Old October 28, 2022, 06:45 PM   #4
50 shooter

I've heard different things about preloading a bipod. Some are of the school that lean into it and some pull it back. Which is the best, give both a try and see what works best.

Another take on bipods is to get an extended rod that attaches to the mounting point on your rifle. One long enough to run the bipod out to the end of your barrel.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 28, 2022, 09:02 PM   #5
tangolima

Just came back from range. Preload. No question about it. Everything is so much more controllable. Just need to practice to preload more consistently. Thank you guys.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2022, 06:44 PM   #6
Pahoo

Yes !!!

Quote:
Do you preload? Does the preload force affects the POI? Does bipod hopping affect group size?
I recently saw a video where one of "our" snipers, is shown preloading a bipod and yes, it works as stated. Bipod hopping will effect the POI. The last time I was at the range with a shooting buddy, he had a bipod and I was shooting off my bags. I then offered to let him shoot off my bags and it was an eye-opener for him. I then showed him what I opserved the snipe doing; he tried it and the results were to the good .....

Be Safe !!!