The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 23, 2022, 09:06 PM   #1
USAF Ret

Ruger No. 1 Scope Fitment and Eye Relief

Inputs appreciated.

Bought a Ruger No.1A IN 270 Win. Been reading about eye relief with scope mount being so far forward. Rifle should be here end of next week.

I got a set of medium offset rings to allow mounting further back. I have a short LOP and neck issues so most of my rifle scopes are mounted a bit further back, anyway. Putting a Burris Fullfield E1 4.5-14x42mm on it. Scope has an eye relief of 3.1" - 3.8".

Thoughts on this being enough without having to crawl up on the scope? Any other suggestions? Not above getting a scope with more eye relief. Heard the Zeiss Conquest has a true 4" eye relief. Maybe even cutting the stock down a little to fit better (not worried about resale as this will be a keeper).

Thanks.
Old November 24, 2022, 12:21 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Get the rifle. Loosely mount the scope to allow easy movement, wear the clothes you'll be wearing when hunting (coat, etc) and see how the stock fits you and how you fit it. And where to position the scope for best, full eye relief, if possible.

Then you'll know if you need extended rings different scope, or anything else that needs doing.

Until you have the rifle to test fit to yourself, its all just guess work and I wouldn't recommend spending money on a wild guess when a little patience will tell you if it needs spending, or not.
Old November 24, 2022, 11:39 AM   #3
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Get the rifle. Loosely mount the scope to allow easy movement, wear the clothes you'll be wearing when hunting (coat, etc) and see how the stock fits you and how you fit it. And where to position the scope for best, full eye relief, if possible.

Then you'll know if you need extended rings different scope, or anything else that needs doing.

Until you have the rifle to test fit to yourself, its all just guess work and I wouldn't recommend spending money on a wild guess when a little patience will tell you if it needs spending, or not.
Yes sir. We shall see.
Old November 24, 2022, 12:49 PM   #4
old roper

USAF Ret. I put standard rings on my #1 and I have standard one piece base. My scope is Leupold 3x9 for that rifle. My eye relief is 4.1/4"

https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-O...e_p_14160.html

Are you getting base with rifle?

Good place to get things #1 PM if you want
NRA Life Member

Last edited by old roper; November 24, 2022 at 12:54 PM.
Old November 24, 2022, 06:30 PM   #5
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
USAF Ret. I put standard rings on my #1 and I have standard one piece base. My scope is Leupold 3x9 for that rifle. My eye relief is 4.1/4"

https://www.eabco.net/Ruger-Number-O...e_p_14160.html

Are you getting base with rifle?

Good place to get things #1 PM if you want
No sir. I did not get that, but probably should have. The Ruger rings are expensive. I will keep that as a backup plan, thank you.

Which model Leupold 3x9 do you have?
Old November 24, 2022, 09:12 PM   #6
old roper

USAF Ret, scope is old vari-x II. My other 2-#1 have different mounts. Well good luck.
NRA Life Member
Old November 25, 2022, 06:54 PM   #7
Scorch

With older, long tube scopes the Ruger mount system works fine. With the shorter scopes today, it's hard to get the scopes far enough back unless you use aftermarket scope mounts and offset rings.
Old November 25, 2022, 09:49 PM   #8
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
With older, long tube scopes the Ruger mount system works fine. With the shorter scopes today, it's hard to get the scopes far enough back unless you use aftermarket scope mounts and offset rings.
Scorch, any of the newer scopes with longer tubes? Looking on the interweb and most of them have the shorter tubes.

The Leupold VX-Freedom 4-12x40mm looks like it has a pretty long tube compared to most scopes.

Been looking at used VX-2 scopes on e-bay. Would like to run across new old stock.

Last edited by USAF Ret; November 25, 2022 at 10:03 PM.
Old November 25, 2022, 10:53 PM   #9
sako2

Look at the Burris and Vortex scopes. They may have some.
Old November 25, 2022, 11:02 PM   #10
sako2

Check europtics.com. Click on a scope and it gives you the spec's on it including the eye relief.
Old November 25, 2022, 11:25 PM   #11
old roper

USAF Ret. If you check specs on Freedom 4x12 and spec on Freedom 3x9 they have same spec Length 12.49" and total mount length 5.49".

The 3x9 scope I have is same length as 4x12 I have @ 12.3" length.

Just call Leupold and remember Ruger #1 doesn't have same action as bolt rifle.
NRA Life Member
Old November 25, 2022, 11:27 PM   #12
Drm50

I just went through musical scopes on #3 Ruger. I’m in Ohio and have to use straight case cartridge. Mine is 375 and has a little recoil. To get eye relief I had to use twin offset rings.
Also couldn’t use the Leupold 2.5x scope I bought for it. The rear ring blocks travel for eye relief on the boss the adjustments are mounted. All the usual low power have same problem.
The scopes like Weaver K4, Redfieds, Leupolds of same contour will work. I wanted lowest power possible so I ended up with Leupold 2x7 which worked out fine.
Just got it sighted and Ohio opens Monday.

* The listed lengths don’t mean jack on #1 & #3 Rugers. The measurement between objective bell to turret boss is main determining factor.

Last edited by Drm50; November 25, 2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old November 26, 2022, 12:01 PM   #13
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
USAF Ret. If you check specs on Freedom 4x12 and spec on Freedom 3x9 they have same spec Length 12.49" and total mount length 5.49".

The 3x9 scope I have is same length as 4x12 I have @ 12.3" length.

Just call Leupold and remember Ruger #1 doesn't have same action as bolt rifle.
Much appreciated. I have the offset rings. Going to play with he scopes I have to see if they work. I have a Burris Fullfield E1 and Sig Whiskey 3 without a home. If those don't work, I may order the Leupold.
Old November 26, 2022, 12:02 PM   #14
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako2 View Post
Check europtics.com. Click on a scope and it gives you the spec's on it including the eye relief.
Will do!
Old November 26, 2022, 12:03 PM   #15
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
I just went through musical scopes on #3 Ruger. I’m in Ohio and have to use straight case cartridge. Mine is 375 and has a little recoil. To get eye relief I had to use twin offset rings.
Also couldn’t use the Leupold 2.5x scope I bought for it. The rear ring blocks travel for eye relief on the boss the adjustments are mounted. All the usual low power have same problem.
The scopes like Weaver K4, Redfieds, Leupolds of same contour will work. I wanted lowest power possible so I ended up with Leupold 2x7 which worked out fine.
Just got it sighted and Ohio opens Monday.

* The listed lengths don’t mean jack on #1 & #3 Rugers. The measurement between objective bell to turret boss is main determining factor.
I have ordered the same. Should get the rifle next week. So, I will play around with it next weekend. I may have the LOP cut down a 1/2" as I have a very short LOP. Could help.
Old November 26, 2022, 12:24 PM   #16
USAF Ret

Worse comes to worse, I can go old school and use the iron sights. Haha.
Old November 26, 2022, 06:09 PM   #17
Drm50

If it was possible to mount a good quality receiver sight like a Lyman 66, I wouldnt fool with a scope. Bill Ruger designed a beautiful rifle but he must have been behind the door when engineering for scope mounting went on. The heavy barrel #1s are much easier to scope than Sporters.
Also the scope selection in this country has reversed. Use to be Varibles we’re not popular or desirable. There were straight powers like snowflakes. People use to hunt, now they snipe from stands with magnums and 4x12 scopes, to shoot deer at 50yds. Use to be most guys had 4x scopes on deer guns here in East. Now the straight powers are specialty scopes and cost big dollar.
Season comes in Monday and I’m sure I’ll see dozens of Marlin 1895 carbines with 4x12 scopes cruising around town.
Old November 26, 2022, 08:43 PM   #18
USAF Ret

I just replaced a 3-9 on my Marlin 30-30 with a variable 1-6. Made a huge difference.

Have also seen, fixed scopes for for a lot these days.

I also have pretty bad eyesight, so the extra magnification helps a lot.
Old December 3, 2022, 08:04 PM   #19
USAF Ret

Well, I got the No.1 in today. Mounted a Burris and a SIG with the offset scope rings. Not anywhere close to being able to see through the scope. I am having to ride up 3-4 inches and can't even get a good trigger pull at that point.

Going to try a the weaver slip on. If I don't get the eye relief needed, I may go to a scout scope. Not sure I can get the relief I need due to my short stature and neck issues.

If that doesn't work, I either use open sites or sell it. Live and learn.

Last edited by USAF Ret; December 3, 2022 at 08:41 PM.
Old December 3, 2022, 10:50 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

I have a No.3 in .45-70 which wears an old Weaver 2.5x Post w/crosswire and have no trouble at all with eye relief.

new isn't always better...
Old December 3, 2022, 11:00 PM   #21
USAF Ret

Yeah, my LOP and neck issues usually have me extending scopes back about as far as they can go on my bolt guns. I think I may have figured out a way to remedy the situation. I have a picatinny rail I ordered that, according to the measurements, should fit. I also ordered an adjustable offset one piece scope mount from Monstrum. I think this should get the scope where I need it to be. It will get me about another 3" to the rear. We shall see.

I hate the Ruger scope rings. They need to be lapped. For what I paid for them, they should have better fitment. Got a feeling I will be returning a lot of items.

I love that little rifle. With the 22" barrel, it is like a 270 carbine. If I can get the groups I want reloading, it will be a heck of an elk rifle for mountain hunting.

Last edited by USAF Ret; December 3, 2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old December 4, 2022, 09:17 PM   #22
taylorce1

I was going to suggest the rail from EGW for 1B and 1S rifles. Looks like you may have found it.
Old December 4, 2022, 11:04 PM   #23
USAF Ret

I did. I measured the screw spaces and I think it should fit the sporter. Plus the offset scope mount should get me where I need to be. Thanks.
Old December 7, 2022, 08:01 PM   #24
USAF Ret

So, here is my issue. I ordered a rail for my No.1 Sporter. I was told by EGW to measure the bolts and it should fit if they match. I measured and they match. However, when I went to install, the base is just a little too long and rides over where the barrel meets the action. I also have the Weaver slip-on coming in to see if that works. Should I...

1) Send it back to EGW.
2) Dremmel the back edge of the rail to remove the portion riding over?

Looking at the contour, I think it would fit if I removed a little bit from the rail.

Pic attached and opinions very welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Number 1 rail (2).jpg (25.9 KB, 301 views)
Old December 7, 2022, 08:41 PM   #25
USAF Ret

Good advice from taylorce1 offline. Contacted EGW to get advice on what to do. This rifle has a new barrel, so not sure if it's the rail or the rifle.