The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2020, 03:19 PM   #1
Bucksnort1

Taurus PT145 Magazine

I've had a PT145 for a few years. I don't shoot it much so I don't know if I had this problem in its early days.

The gun came with two magazines. While checking the gun this morning, I found the slide will not lock to the rear with one of the mags with an empty magazine. The other magazine is ok.

I compared the two magazine and see slight differences in the position of the follower with the mags empty but I don't know if this is significant.

Advice please?
Old October 5, 2020, 03:24 PM   #2
lechiffre

I would check the magazine springs. Perhaps one is worn, or in backwards.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old October 5, 2020, 03:54 PM   #3
Bucksnort1

I tried removing the spring but couldn't. I applied some light gun oil to the follower but that didn't work.

Thanks. I will try removing the spring again.
Old October 5, 2020, 10:49 PM   #4
Warhammer

Just in case you end up needing a replacement... The Mec-Gar mags for the Paraordnace P-13 and P-14 work great in my PT145. I have a 13-round (P13) and several 14-round (P14) mags. Mec-Gar makes a 10-round P13 mag, but I haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for the fit.

FWIW, here's my PT145 with the original 10-rounder, a Taurus 12-rounder with extension sleeve, and with the Paraordnance P14 14-rounder.

Last edited by Warhammer; October 5, 2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old October 6, 2020, 10:15 AM   #5
Bucksnort1

Warhammer,

Good information. I like the looks of the Taurus 12 mag. If I can't resolve my problem, I will think about buying one of those. Thanks.
Old October 6, 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
winkytink

Warhammer, have you actually shot the PT145 with that para magazine? The para is missing the slot at the front for the magazine catch and I'm afraid it will fall out as soon as you pull the trigger. Just because it fits in the mag well doesn't mean it will work correctly.
Old October 6, 2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Warhammer

Yes, I've shot all 4 of my Paraordnance mags, 3 of the 14-rounders and one 13-rounder, many times and they work great.

The "missing" slot on the left side of the mag would only come into play if you were to reverse the mag release for left-handed use. The slot that actually engages the mag release when in right-handed configuration is on the right side of the mag, so you just can't see it on the pictures.